New study by R Polosa on practical guidelines for doctors re vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
http://www.discoverymedicine.com/Ri...ients-intending-to-use-electronic-cigarettes/
Abstract: Electronic cigarettes (ECs) are being increasingly used as an attractive long-term alternative nicotine source to conventional tobacco cigarettes. This substitution is likely to improve health in regular EC users, and more and more respiratory patients using or intending to use ECs will be seeking professional medical advice. Unfortunately, the public's view of ECs is far from being clear with a great deal of ambiguity around the product and its intended use. Moreover, health-care professionals themselves do not seem to use an evidence-based approach when it comes to informing respiratory patients about ECs and many advise against their use. Evidence-based advice about ECs is provided here with the goal of improving counseling between physicians and their respiratory patients using or intending to use ECs. Regular EC use is unlikely to raise significant health concerns and can lead to health improvement in the respiratory patient who makes the switch from tobacco smoking.
http://www.discoverymedicine.com/Ri...ients-intending-to-use-electronic-cigarettes/

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
In a perfect world; every vaper would have business cards embossed with a link to this study for healthcare professionals giving out advice they have no clue about.
In an even more perfect world, both patients and physicians would be well informed.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Good article but will be dissed by many because of the disclaimer contents at the bottom.

This?

Physicians should recommend the most effective ways for smokers to reduce their risk rapidly. While smoking cessation may be the most desirable final outcome from a health point of view, it may be the wrong goal if it leads to failure or relapse. The respiratory physician should consider all the pathways available to a smoking patient and select the ones that give the greatest probability of eliminating exposure to tobacco smoking. For some smokers, the best outcome may be a long-term switch to vaping — tolerating the small residual risk in return for a higher likelihood of success.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
My new Dr wanted to prescribe chantix for my "tobacco use". I told him I hadn't smoked a cigarette in 13 months because I was vaping, but his pen was poised to write me a 'scrip. Literally, poised over his computer.
Loyalties lie with BP when it comes to medical care.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
My new Dr wanted to prescribe chantix for my "tobacco use". I told him I hadn't smoked a cigarette in 13 months because I was vaping, but his pen was poised to write me a 'scrip. Literally, poised over his computer.
Loyalties lie with BP when it comes to medical care.
The doctor business would change if nobody smoked. My hunch would be doctors treat a lot of non lethal problems that would be less common if nobody was run down by smoking. Would there be fewer doctor visits if nobody smoked? What percent of a doctor's practice are appointments with people who smoke? Are smokers over represented in doctor visits? Computer databases have the answers to all that. Insurance companies know. I wonder why we don't know.

Last edited:

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
The doctor business would change if nobody smoked. My hunch would be doctors treat a lot of non lethal problems that would be less common if nobody was run down by smoking. Would there be fewer doctor visits if nobody smoked? What percent of a doctor's practice are appointments with people who smoke? Are smokers over represented in doctor visits? Computer databases have the answers to all that. Insurance companies know. I wonder why we don't know.

I'm sure his pen will be poised to prescribe a cholesterol reduction medicine for me in the near future. It's not just about smoking.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'm sure his pen will be poised to prescribe a cholesterol reduction medicine for me in the near future. It's not just about smoking.
The way I see the health care business, the richest man in the world spends his entire fortune to develop one pill. The man is sitting on the curb pan handling for change. The doctor comes out to the sidewalk and gives him the pill. He takes the pill and dies anyway.

If you pay hundreds of millions of dollars to the FDA's research chronies you get permission to market your snake oil free of liability even if it's useless or worse. Then all that over priced ineffective poison is ued to bankrupt health care. In the mean time vapers have a home remedy that will improve more lives than all the FDA approved crap put together and they want to interfere with that. My personal health would be better served if the FDA was abolished.

Reactions: AndriaD

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Philoshop, in the last ten yrs. the baseline numbers for cholesterol and blood pressure have been lowered......Snagging more people for those magic pills. They're doing the same thing over at the EPA for air pollution measurements. You've done a good job and lowered the numbers when WHAM there's been a new gov. EPA/FDA study that says you need to work on it some more. :(

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I had a high LDL reading at one point. When I asked my doc if that was something I needed to worry about, he said, you're not obese, you don't have diabetes, and you don't have hypertension; I suggest eating some cheerios and oatmeal. My next LDL reading was fairly normal.

He's known for many years that all the BP NRT crap was a complete non-starter for me; he also knows how long and how desperately I've struggled with clinical depression, so thank god, he's got sense enough not to even suggest Chantix. Imagine his absolute bafflement and delight when I came in hollering about having quit smoking. His philosophy: ANYTHING is better than smoking.

Makes me really glad to have a good doctor. What worries me is that he's 63, so he may be contemplating retirement soon. I'd really hate to have to break in some new young hotshot. :facepalm:

Andria

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Makes me really glad to have a good doctor. What worries me is that he's 63, so he may be contemplating retirement soon. I'd really hate to have to break in some new young hotshot. :facepalm:

Andria

My neurologist in Mexico recently introduced me to his oldest son, an intern at the same hospital. He's like a clone of the father, genial but wise beyond his years. I'm fortunate that he will be around longer than I will need him, after his dad retires ...

Same with my Mexican dentist, the practice is a father nearing retirement age, and his two sons in their 30s...

All are well-informed about vaping as opposed to smoking, and totally on board with the benefits, despite Mexico's ridiculous ban on sales and import of PVs and e-juice ...

One of the reasons I dropped Kaiser Permanente in the US was their rubber-stamp condemnation of vaping, in favor of ineffective NRTs and expensive "counseling" ...

Its no wonder that "medical tourism" is so common in Mexico. At my dentist's office last month, I chatted in the waiting room with a fishing boat captain from Alaska, he flies to Tijuana 3 or 4 times a year for medical and dental care, even though he's insured in the US ...

Hopefully the next generation of US doctors will be better informed about vaping, despite the medical industry opposition for business reasons ...

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Well, Mexico is more than a thousand miles from me, so I'm kinda stuck here. No insurance, so I have to try and find a doc with the least expensive office visits possible -- which is why I've kept the guy in the small town we don't live in anymore, because small town docs charge less than big city Atlanta docs, who all think they walk on water and should be compensated for breathing in the same room as a patient.

I really have about zero use for doctors, period, but my asthma drugs require a prescription, so I'm kinda stuck.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread