New to building, need some suggestions please:o

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaxTel

Dec 31, 2013
Oxford, England
Hey guys! So I'm mega excited to be receiving any minute now a bunch of wire and my first RDA! I need you guys' help on what I should build please.. I'm going to be building on a troll v2 with istick 80W. I will have 22, 26, 28, and 32 gauge SS 316L wire.
I was going to start right away with a couple nano dragon coils so I can get some nice vaping going while I build some claptons during the day:) was just wondering if you guys could suggest which gauge wires I will want to try first for the claptons? Was thinking 26/32? I don't really know what resistance I want to end up at..what wattage I will want to vape it at (max 80 with my mod).. diameter/wraps.. etc
Once I get the hang of 'claptoning' I'll be trying some fused claptons cos they look like some badass coils ! Maybe some twisted in there somewhere. If anyone has any suggestions what would work really well with my setup I'm all ears :) (I want really good flavour .. but also really good clouds..:p so I want builds for everything from more flavour/less clouds, to intermediate of both - or amazing of both if anyone has?? - to less flavour/huge clouds..)

Thanks a bunch folks

Eekins

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2015
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hands down, I hate dragon coils. I find they eat too much juice and you don't get that great a flavor out of it. I'll tell you that if you have a vice/clamp and some fishing swivels, fused claptons are easier to make than standard claptons. I've never worked with SS before, my first clapton was a 26/32 KA1. I can't really tell you what to build first, but if you're looking for clouds and flavor, I've never gotten anything better than 22g parallel coils. 2mm ID with 8 wraps, dual coil. There are probably better builds than that out there for performace but I just prefer this setup. Mine came out to 0.2 ohms, but again, this was KA1. I don't know how SS 316L works.

bigrobbie

Reviewer / Blogger
Feb 13, 2016
Alabama
How new are you to building? I started long ago figuring out stuff like, how many wraps at what diameter using what gauge (twisted or not) put me where I want to be ohm wise. Start with kanthal between 24-26 gauge and practice your wrapping, installing and wicking methods. Then move to double wraps, triple different gauge, etc. There is plenty in terms of perfecting basic builds to stay busy for a while....you'll advace naturally after you get these fundamentals

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
Fused isn't any harder that single core IMO.
32g is really stiff so I'd start with a biger core.
If 80w is your max, 32g might be too big of a wrap if you're doing dual coils.
The bigger the wrap the harder it is to heat.

Also 316l gunks up way faster than kanthal or nichrome.
I'd hit up Temco Industrial and get some 34g and 36g. 1000' or so.
32g is just really big for a wrap for 80w.

I just realized your core wires are 316l too. You'll probably need to start with 26g. The resistance of 316l is really low.
Kanthal and Nichrome are where it's at.

Joergl100

Oct 15, 2016
Germany, Lake Constance
New to building? Are you kidding???
rofl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread