The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New to RDAs and buying my first this week ( Drop ) And have a few questions

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by mj79, Feb 6, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mj79

mj79 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    mn
    Lol . Thanks for the heads up . What don't you like about it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Don29palms

Don29palms Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    Everything really. I'll say it's easy to put coils in but other than that the airflow and flavor is bad. If you get everything set just right it's ok but it's not worth the hassle.
    IN MY OPINION there are soooo many better RDAs than the Dead Rabbit. Most RDAs really. I'm just saying for a first RDA you can't get any easier or better than the Drop. My favorite RDA is my Lucid but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. The Drop is #2. I use it every day. The OBS Cheetah 2 is another very easy to build RDA. Pretty much any RDA with a Velocity style build deck is easy to build on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Senior Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The Phobia looks good

• Like Like x 1
  4. Don29palms

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    Not really for a first RDA and it's a Vandy Vape product.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Senior Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I just ordered one. I have a Desire Mad Dog V2 RDA this will be a step up imo. It doesn't look hard to build on

• Like Like x 2
  6. Don29palms

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    The Mad Dog is a good RDA. It can be tight to build on but worth it. I hope you like your Phobia when you get it. I will never give Vandy Vape any of my business ever again. There are too many better companies that want my business. Vandy Vape could really care less about their customers. Their customer service is worse than horrible.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mj79

Jun 29, 2010
    mn
    OK thanks again everyone for all the help.. Found another local shop selling the DROP for $35. So I decided Ill try that out for now .. In the meantime Ill be ordering some of THIS as it seems to be pretty highly suggested for anyone from rookie to advanced builders.

With that wire , should i just be making standard single wire 5-7 wrap coils and being done? Does it matter if its spaced or contact?

And what should I start out with? A single coil, dual coil, and what size.. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Don29palms

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    In my Drop right now I have that same wire. Dual coils 7 wrap contact coils 3.5mm id at .22ohms.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mj79

Jun 29, 2010
    mn
    Thanks Don

What's your wattage range with that setup?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Don29palms

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    60 to 70 watts.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mj79

Jun 29, 2010
    mn
    Hey sorry, I know this isn't the right section but since I have a few experience Vapors in here I just wanted to ask this. I picked up the drop RDA locally and noticed they had the voopoo to kits for $70 is that a good mod at a good price and worth picking up?

• Like Like x 1
  12. mj79

Jun 29, 2010
    mn
    Voopoo too kits***

• Like Like x 1
  13. Don29palms

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    From watching reviews on youtube that mod would drive me nuts the way the sides slide open so easily. I don't have one. There are ALOT of reviews on youtube for that mod.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mj79

Jun 29, 2010
    mn
    Yeah thanks. Was a blast minute thing while I was in the store . I need a new mod.. my alien is acting Goofy and not reading attys well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. untar

untar Vaping Master

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    What are your requirements for a mod? Should it be pretty and shiny? Should it be tough as nails?

• Like Like x 1
  16. QcVaper

QcVaper Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 17, 2017
    Canada/Quebec
    Coil wise i use Geekvape's clapton coils (3mm diameter, about .25 0hms)

Rda wise there's just too many of em to suggest but i use the Peerless rda which i like alot.
    Cotton matters btw, never skip or rush wicking your coils, and you can clean the coils very easily for months of usage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Don29palms

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    I just picked up a Smoant Charon 218 for $35. It's impressed the hell out of me so far. Really what are you looking for in a mod?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Don29palms

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. mj79

Jun 29, 2010
    mn
    Ok, back to the RDA coils real quick . Until my wire gets here I picked up a few of these .45 fused Clapton coils .. so I'm guessing they'll be around .25 when running both? Yeah. Not the greatest . But....

Demon Killer 8-in-1 Coil Prebuilt Set | 8 Different Styles

When I start burning in the new coils what wattage should I start at to heat them up? 20-30 watts? Also what is the point to the strumming I see so much.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Senior Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The Voopoo drag
    You just pulse it. I just use whatever wattage my mod is set to. The strumming is to get out hot spots. You want coil to heat evenly

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    You strum to check for hot spots in your coil, areas where its glowing too much or not enough, is my understanding of why its done. You want to get everything glowing evenly.

You can prime just like you would a regular coil, start low, keep increasing the wattage slowly until you land on a vape you like. I wouldn't start with any "preconceived" notion, since you've got a fair bit of metal in your tank with those coils.... You may find you need higher or lower wattage than expected, but wattage will depend not just on resistance, but how much metal your mod has to heat at once, so if you have more complex builds, it may be possible that you need higher wattage than you are expecting, especially since your resistance is going to be pretty low. I still think the best way to determine that is to start low and work your way up. You won't risk singing your wick as you get to the "right" wattage for you.

Anna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.