Troubles with first RDA (Drop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruben Faes

Jun 2, 2018
Recently ordered the Drop and Recurve rda's as my first two rebuildables. Since the Drop arrived first I obviously wanted to try it. Had some prebuild Alien Clapton coils (0,45ohm) from UTM installed and tried my best making my first wicks.

I got rid of hotspots first and it all looked good but when I wanted to take a couple of drags I noticed a very unpleasant smell. Wicks aren't dirty or brown or anything, still look 'fresh', wires look fine but it all stinks alot and not just like burned cotton (like a dry hit with I tank I got early on) but like burning hairs or something, really vile.

I was wondering if any of you know how I can fix this? Was really looking forward to start using RDA's but this sucks quite a bit.

Thanks in advance!
Ruben

37536389_1989022991116182_2906670021520392192_n.jpg

37343208_1989022921116189_5258837018980384768_n.jpg

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
What kind of cotton are you using? Is it snug in the coil or loose? Did you happen to fire the mod when the coils were dry? (You can only burn what is under the coil and not see anything wrong with the cotton outside the coil)

I'm not going to be a big help on the smell thing, since I have no sense of smell and cannot say if this happens to me or not.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I wish I could see more detail in your pics. The overhead view (first) is too dark to see the wire contacts or posts. In the side view, it seems to me the coils appear to be unusually high from the deck.

Prior to wicking the coils, did you pulse or dry fire the coils? Sometimes there is machine oil or other contaminants on the wire that needs to be burnt off. Did the coils glow from inside out? Did one end or a spot on the coil glow more brightly than the rest of the coil (possible short).

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
Did you start by cleaning your new atty first? Sometimes machine oil can be left on the surface of the atty so its a good idea to wash in hot water and Dawn. Also, were your hands clean when you wicked the coil? Oils from your hands can be absorbed into the wick. Maybe also double check the leads, tighten screws down after wicking just to make sure things are tight, that way there is no inconsistencies with resistance and therefor flavor. Hope this helps.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I can't quite tell from the looks of the pics, but you didn't insert the cotton wicks while the wire was too hot, after your test fire and strumming the coils? It just sort of looks like they are oddly dark and mainly in that area, but I couldn't quite tell.

Keep in mind a happy wick is a well primed wick, no matter whether it's DROP IN or not. You still should undergo a nice long priming process either way, just don't crank it up to near where you want to be. Also, yes, if you didn't clean your atomizer you should whether you see machining oil or not, as a) yuck (tasewise) and b) yuck as in not knowing what kind of manufacturing process was going on specifically).

Good luck I think you are getting good advice, you'll get it sorted out I'm sure. Mainly you got your first build and wick up so yay! I could not say the same after my first ah, "foray" into rebuilding myself. Best of luck;

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread