New to RDAs and buying my first this week ( Drop ) And have a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mj79

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2010
mn
Thanks again for the quick reply. I know those aren't the greatest coil, but I'm just overly excited to get the build done as this is obviously ( from my lack of knowledge ) my first rda .:) But when I first get my coils in and start pulsing I was just curious on where I should start at for wattage. I'm sure it will become obvious when I start doing it. I think I know what hot spots are and that I need to have them glow from the inside out. So we'll see how it goes

Still don't have a ceramic tweezer or a small snippers so a finger nail clipper and a standard tweezer will have to do for now

Reactions: stols001

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2018
Thanks again for the quick reply. I know those aren't the greatest coil, but I'm just overly excited to get the build done as this is obviously ( from my lack of knowledge ) my first rda .:) But when I first get my coils in and start pulsing I was just curious on where I should start at for wattage. I'm sure it will become obvious when I start doing it. I think I know what hot spots are and that I need to have them glow from the inside out. So we'll see how it goes

Still don't have a ceramic tweezer or a small snippers so a finger nail clipper and a standard tweezer will have to do for now
I just built some new coils for my RDA using the spool of wire that comes with the coilmaster kit. Its 24g kanthal A1. Made 4mm coils 13 wraps and comes out to .39 ohms with both coils installed.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
These 2 .45 coils came out to .2 on my smoant Battlestar . Worked out the hotspots, now gonna wick some cotton bacon.
When you first install the coils just pulse them at around 30 watts. If you see any hot spots just stum them a couple time with the power off and pulse again. If one of the coils is firing hotter than the other check the tightness of the grub screws and pinch the hotter coil without the power then fire again. At .25 you'll probably find you'll be vaping around 60 watts. Maybe a little more. When you get it wicked drip some juice on the coil and just pulse it once or twice to draw the juice in the coil. Repeat that a few times until you see the wick getting wet on the sides of the coil. Then JUICE IT UP AND FOG UP THE ROOM!

• Agree

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Ok. Got it all together. Tightened everything up , and it's still at .22 build .

Holy hell this is hot . Hot hot hot vape. Before the coils even ramp up my lips are burnt. Something's off.

Smoant battlestar is the mod .gonna try my alien quick.

.22ohms is right for dual .45ohm coils. Turn the watts down and work up until the vape is where you want it.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
2 things .probably my fault. I think I over dripped , and started out to high on top of that . ( 60 watts )

I'm so concerned about burning my cotton, I had spitback like crazy . Yea the tank gets hot ( as I'm assuming most rdas do ) the massive spitback wasn't helping

You might not have enough wicking in it.

• Agree

mj79

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2010
mn
I actually thought I had to much.. as it was tough to make any room in the airflow channel between the posts.

It's going better. No spitback, and playing with the wattage. Can't wait til I get the ni80 rectangle to try the build you suggested..

Ramp up is very slow on this setup. Takes 2-3 , 4 second pulls to get the vapor going

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I actually thought I had to much.. as it was tough to make any room in the airflow channel between the posts.

It's going better. No spitback, and playing with the wattage. Can't wait til I get the ni80 rectangle to try the build you suggested..

Ramp up is very slow on this setup. Takes 2-3 , 4 second pulls to get the vapor going

What coils did you use? Is that one of those sets with different kinds of coils?

• Agree

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I absolutely soaked the wicks when I first started. Damn juice was almost coming out the juice well :D

Now I just gotta learn how long the wicks last with the juice . 20 or so hits I'm guessing ?

And if I want to change flavors , how dry should I let the wicks go before putting in a new one
Maybe 5 hits before re dripping. You'll learn that REALLY quick. Dry hits are horrible.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Man . Lol . I have to figure out what I'm doing wrong then .I need 4-5 big hits just to get rid of the spitback . About 12-15 actual hits before the flavor goes away.

Do you drip right on the coils, and how many drips per coil
On my Drop I just drip right down the drip tip. 20 to 25 drops.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Drop rectangle coils.jpg

Here's the coils in the Drop. It's been 2 weeks since clean and rewick. It's definitely due.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
My way of thinking is if you can fit 4mm coils in your RDA then that is what you should use because you can fit more cotton. You can easily get 20+ puffs before you have to redrip if wicked right

I used to think the same way. Stuff as large a build as will fit, which ended up being 4 mm in my Goons and Govad, and 3 or 3.5 mm in everything else. That way, you have a lot more cotton, which can not only hold more juice, but wick juice from the well to the coils more quickly.

But I eventually figured out that there's a downside – due to the large diameter, juice in the "core" of the wick isn't heated to its vaporization point. And the juice in the "mantle" of the wick isn't being vaporized as efficiently as at the "crust" right next to the wire.

With a smaller diameter build, even the juice at the "core" of the wick is being quickly vaporized. The entire wick is heated well above the vaporization point of the juice. But if you go too small, then the juice can't be wicked fast enough from the well, and you get burnt hits even when there's plenty of juice in the well.

Finding the right balance provides better and more consistent flavor.

Hopefully that made sense – it's difficult to explain.

I've settled on 3 mm for single coil builds, and 2.5 mm for dual coil builds, in all of my RDA's.

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2018
I used to think the same way. Stuff as large a build as will fit, which ended up being 4 mm in my Goons and Govad, and 3 or 3.5 mm in everything else. That way, you have a lot more cotton, which can not only hold more juice, but wick juice from the well to the coils more quickly.

But I eventually figured out that there's a downside – due to the large diameter, juice in the "core" of the wick isn't heated to its vaporization point. And the juice in the "mantle" of the wick isn't being vaporized as efficiently as at the "crust" right next to the wire.

With a smaller diameter build, even the juice at the "core" of the wick is being quickly vaporized. The entire wick is heated well above the vaporization point of the juice. But if you go too small, then the juice can't be wicked fast enough from the well, and you get burnt hits even when there's plenty of juice in the well.

Finding the right balance provides better and more consistent flavor.

Hopefully that made sense – it's difficult to explain.

I've settled on 3 mm for single coil builds, and 2.5 mm for dual coil builds, in all of my RDA's.
The core juice isn't suppose to vaporize. The juice in the center travels to the outside when the outside is dry enough to hold it. A mesh RDA is even bigger than 4mm

mj79

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2010
mn
Thanks again everyone for the info :)

Currently still at a .222 build. And now am hitting it at 75 watts .seems high compared to some people who run in the 60-65 range. But I'm gonna try it at 80-85. It's still nowhere near a hot vape, just when it has spit back like crazy.

Other than that I'm loving it so far. Actually looking for another dual RDA as well as a single..

So far thinking the DR or the bonza as our local shop has them both for $30. And then maybe ordering a nudge 22 for a single?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread