New to vaping with questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwest123

Oct 18, 2018
hello all, I am new to the vape world. I tried it back in 2010-2011 sometime and it was absolute garbage. Granted, it was with the “cig a like” stuff, but that’s another story. That said, with the price increase on cigarettes, I have decided to give it another try. So far, I like it, but I’d like something more flavorful. I have a Triton 2 set now that works. Good vapor and good flavor, but a bit more flavor would be nice.

That said, I’ve decided that I will go with the aegis legend or the smok species mod kits. Now, I’d like to be able to rebuild my coil as well, so I don’t have to constantly buy new coils. This is where I start to get confused. Now, those of you familiar with these kits, can the coils be rebuilt? If not, can you recommend what RBA to get for either system? Also, when it comes to RBA’s, provided I need a different one, would I have to get a completely different tank too? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Your knowledge of terminology seems a bit lacking.

A mod is the battery device and power source.
The juice delivery attachment holds the eliquid, coil, and wick. It could be either a clearomizer tank (factory coils), a rebuildable drip atomizer (RDA) or rebuildable tank atomizer (RTA) which uses homemade coils and wick. Any of these juice attachments can be used on any mod battery device.

Kits or starter setups come with both the mod and tank, but you can exchange mod or tank with another sold separately. Mods and tanks can also be purchased separately.

The below blogs may prove helpful with more detailed information:

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices
Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
Information Resources for Your First RBA
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

PS: I'd strongly advise not getting a SMOK mod. They have a notorious reputation of poor quality control and poor customer support. There is a list of suggested mods in the Good Starter Setup blog above, which includes the Aegis and Aegis Legend.

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Triton is rebranded by Halo and therefore overpriced.
Smok and Geekvape (Aegis) make their own stuff. Smok reliability is not great and Geekvape is much better and generally nicer hardware. I know where I'd spend my money. In fact, my no.1 wish list of top 10 includes 4 Geekvape products.

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
Second that on Smok being garbage. Quality control is nonexistent. For a similar draw, a tank with drop in coils I would go with the innokin zenith with either the.8 or 1.6 coils (plexus z coils aren’t very good). Good flavor, easy to fill. For a rebuildable tank (RTA) I would go with either the Beserker ir the innokin ares. Both are easy to learn to build on, and both give good flavor with enough range of air flow that you can find what works for you. With the aegis legend, you’re going to need an external battery charger and a pair of batteries that only get used as a set. I wouldn’t pick that as a great mod for a person starting out. Have you considered something single battery?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Second that on Smok being garbage. Quality control is nonexistent. For a similar draw, a tank with drop in coils I would go with the innokin zenith with either the.8 or 1.6 coils (plexus z coils aren’t very good). Good flavor, easy to fill. For a rebuildable tank (RTA) I would go with either the Beserker ir the innokin ares. Both are easy to learn to build on, and both give good flavor with enough range of air flow that you can find what works for you. With the aegis legend, you’re going to need an external battery charger and a pair of batteries that only get used as a set. I wouldn’t pick that as a great mod for a person starting out. Have you considered something single battery?
Is he DL or MTL though?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
With the aegis legend, you’re going to need an external battery charger and a pair of batteries that only get used as a set. I wouldn’t pick that as a great mod for a person starting out. Have you considered something single battery?
Why not? Because it needs 2 batteries?:blink:

Reactions: NolaMel

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2017
Austin, Texas
Is he DL or MTL though?

Ionno, good question. He mentioned..
aegis legend or the smok species mod kits
I would assume that the Aegis would do well MTL by lowering the wattage, same as the Smok but I was just recommending on what he gave us. Of the 2, I like Geekvape more for the reasons above and the paint won't peel or chip during regular usage.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Why not? Because it needs 2 batteries?:blink:
I would personally recommend him an original ageis over a legend, assuming they’re even still available. They’re cheaper, smaller, more rugged, and if he is vaping MTL (I looked up the triton 2, it’s apparenlty an ego pen style) he won’t need the two batteries. The one arguable “downside” of the ageis original over the legend is it will not charge at all over USB, whereas the legend does. Not that I would actually do so myself. I mistrust USB in mod charging in general and like it for multi battery mods even less.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Hey, as someone still relatively new to vaping I was in your shoes not that long ago, so I thought I'd share my experience. I also started out with something minimal, then wanted something with better battery life and the ability to build my own coils. I bought the Aegis Legend mod and an rta separately. The Aegis Legend comes in a kit with a sub ohm tank that only takes pre built drop in coils, if you want to build your own coils I wouldn't buy the kit, you can purchase the mod by itself. When it comes to a rebuildable atomizer it's really personal preference. You can buy an RDA that you drip juice into or you can look at an rta that allows you to build your coils, but also has tank which eliminates the need to drip. If you decide on Geekvape, they make the Zeus rta that is single coil and very easy to build on. There are literally hundreds of choices out there, I spent a lot of time watching YouTube videos before choosing. Mikevapes, Zophie vapes, Riptrippers all review most new products. Good luck!

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
I would personally recommend him an original ageis over a legend, assuming they’re even still available. They’re cheaper, smaller, more rugged, and if he is vaping MTL (I looked up the triton 2, it’s apparenlty an ego pen style) he won’t need the two batteries. The one arguable “downside” of the ageis original over the legend is it will not charge at all over USB, whereas the legend does. Not that I would actually do so myself. I mistrust USB in mod charging in general and like it for multi battery mods even less.
You can still get them, mod only very reasonable price. I have 2. I charge my batteries in an external charger anyway, so the lack of usb isn’t a problem. Married batteries I wouldn’t charge via usb ever. External, then flip positions. Also let’s me check “health” of each one to make sure they can stay as a set

Last edited:

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
If op is a mtl vapor and is looking for an rta rather then an rda, I would recommend the doggy style rta. It's inexpensive and not a bit picky on wicking. It is however a definite mtl rta. Any mod will work as others have stated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I love my doggies, and it’ll go up to restricted dl, but most people want a top fill. I forgive the doggy for not being top fill because the flavor is sooooo good.

Last edited:

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
OKC, OK
Legend works fine for MTL, that's determined by the tank anyway. I use a old subtank with the RBA, if you can even find one they work well enough and are easy enough to build. Sure there are better tanks out there now so you probably want to let someone else recommend that. If you got the $ get the jac vapour though, probably more pocketable if that makes a difference.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
probably more pocketable if that makes a difference.

Personally I think this is a qualification that needs consideration. One has to assess what they feel is of value to them and choose wisely. Depending on ones vaping style a single battery mod may not last you a day. And given the needed safety precautions with carrying spare batteries, that may not be something a user wishes to take on. Me personally, I do not want to carry spare batteries therefor any device that I use while I am on the go has to be able to last for that duration. My choices are now limited to high capacity single battery mods, ones that accept a 2x700 battery, or a dual 18650 battery mod. Both of which are larger than your usual single 18650 battery device. There is always a compromise.

The Geekvape Aegis and Aegis Legend are both excellent devices, but due to their construction they are larger and heavier than their equivalent battery counterparts. If one is looking for a pocketable device, these 2, especially the Legend, may not be your best choice unless of course their rugged construction is of value. Again, there will always be a compromise.

@Jwest123 – perhaps give a little more detail in what you are looking for in a mod as in size, battery life, ruggedness etc. As mentioned above, pretty much any mod can be used for MTL - with a little more info, the recommendations could be more geared toward your needs.

Jwest123

Oct 18, 2018
I will admit that my knowledge is new, and my wording may have been off in my initial posting. I appreciate the help offered here and it has help clear some of the fog so to speak.

I grabbed the halo originally as I wanted something small to start in a sense. Though I’ve realized that I’ll continually have to buy coils for this system, which is less than optimal after learning of RTA type systems.

Now, that in mind, has anyone used my freedom smokes? How’s their shipping time and customer service?

Jwest123

Oct 18, 2018
@Jwest123 – perhaps give a little more detail in what you are looking for in a mod as in size, battery life, ruggedness etc. As mentioned above, pretty much any mod can be used for MTL - with a little more info, the recommendations could be more geared toward your needs.

Weight isn’t a big concern for me. I’m used to a heavy load out for a day, but that’s another story.

I just want something that will deliver good flavor, work well, and have a decent battery life. Also something that won’t cost a fortune to maintain, and something I can maintenance, such as rebuilding the coil.

I do like the 510 tip of the pen I have now, but the battery doesn’t last for an entire day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread