Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hey everyone,

So i’ve been vaping for about 2 months or so and i’d like to get into rebuildables.
I only vape in MTL and i need some advices.

I’ve been watching threads and vids here and there, but i’m still kinda lost beetween everything. I see spaced coils, micro coils, clapton ones.
Then there’s the gauge, the different cotton and all.

Basically i’d like to get beetween 0.8 and 1.6ohm coil.
It can be khantal but i’d prefer SS to be able to use it in TC.
So i’d like your advices on which wire to use, what gauge, the diameter of the coils, the number of wraps and maybe the type of cotton to buy.

Also i saw people dry fire the coils or using ceramic tweezers to compress the coil, scratching and cleaning the coil and i’d like to know why and what i should do.

I intend to use either an RTA or an RDA.
I haven’t bought the device yet cause i wanted some recommendations about a good one for beginners and if you think i should buy either an RTA or an RDA to begin with.

Thank you in advance for your time and answers, if you see any spelling mistakes don’t hesitate to tell me. Peace from France.

You have received a Ton of Great Information here. And it sounds like you are on the Right path Wire/Build-wise. So I'll just throw in One other sometimes Overlooked choice. And that is Drip Tip selection.

You can Really effect the type of Hit you get by choosing a Drip Tip with either a Large Inner Bore. Or one that has a Restrictive Small Inner Bore.

For a MTL-er, you are going to want to Lean towards Drip Tips with Smaller Inner Bores.

And even an Atomizer that wasn't really Design to do full on MTL can sometimes very Nice if it is Paired with a More Restrictive Drip Tip.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Thank you very much for your answer.
Pretty much everything i needed to know. I screenshoted that and i will surely read it again and try the setups you suggested.
For the tool kit i think i’ll buy either the Coil father X6S kit or the X9.
I’m still looking at the Rda/Rta, i’m hesitating beetween a Berserker MTL RDA or a Vapefly galaxy RDA or RDTA or an Ares RTA, something around those.
As for the wire and cotton i’m gonna follow your suggestions.
Just a quick question maybe a stupid one but i’d like to know if i can use any blend of juice with the coils i make, or is it more about the type of cotton? And also depending on the coil i build, how do i know the proper wattage? I already know a bit with premade coils but i don’t know if it’s the same.
Thx in advance.

Follow up about the juice, the juice flavors are really not an issue, what you like to vape will generally run in any RDA/RDTA, as stated above your juice PG/VG ratio is the limiter. Me personally, though take note I live in the hot desert so ambient temperatures play a role here, during the summers in my MTL tanks I run a thicker 30PG/70VG, during the winter I run a thinner 50/50 to 40PG/60VG liquid base to compensate for flooding (to thin a juice) and dry hits (to thick a juice). Wattage, if you are MTL at the moment with a drop in coil tank system, you should have a range you are already comfortable with, myself my MTL like posted above but in more detail, I run a 28AWG NiChrome80 build on a 2 to 2.5mm ID, 10 to 12 wraps, 10 wraps can Ohm out to about 1.5ohms, a 12 wrap about 1.8 to 1.9ohms, generally in the 8 to 10 or even 13watts range depending on my mood of how warm a hit I want, and how much nicotine I want to take in due to stress.

Shakur92

Aug 13, 2018
Paris, France
You have received a Ton of Great Information here. And it sounds like you are on the Right path Wire/Build-wise. So I'll just throw in One other sometimes Overlooked choice. And that is Drip Tip selection.

You can Really effect the type of Hit you get by choosing a Drip Tip with either a Large Inner Bore. Or one that has a Restrictive Small Inner Bore.

For a MTL-er, you are going to want to Lean towards Drip Tips with Smaller Inner Bores.

And even an Atomizer that wasn't really Design to do full on MTL can sometimes very Nice if it is Paired with a More Restrictive Drip Tip.
Thx for the advice.
I have something like 4 or 5 different sized 510 drip tips from nipple shaped to wider ones so i should be able to find what’s best for me.

Shakur92

Aug 13, 2018
Paris, France
Follow up about the juice, the juice flavors are really not an issue, what you like to vape will generally run in any RDA/RDTA, as stated above your juice PG/VG ratio is the limiter. Me personally, though take note I live in the hot desert so ambient temperatures play a role here, during the summers in my MTL tanks I run a thicker 30PG/70VG, during the winter I run a thinner 50/50 to 40PG/60VG liquid base to compensate for flooding (to thin a juice) and dry hits (to thick a juice). Wattage, if you are MTL at the moment with a drop in coil tank system, you should have a range you are already comfortable with, myself my MTL like posted above but in more detail, I run a 28AWG NiChrome80 build on a 2 to 2.5mm ID, 10 to 12 wraps, 10 wraps can Ohm out to about 1.5ohms, a 12 wrap about 1.8 to 1.9ohms, generally in the 8 to 10 or even 13watts range depending on my mood of how warm a hit I want, and how much nicotine I want to take in due to stress.
I pretty much always use 50/50 & 70pg/30vg, and sometimes 60pg/40vg or 40pg/60vg. As for the ohms i feel beetween 0.6 to 1,2 and maybe from 8 to 22w something like that would be nice for me but as i said i’ll try different setups.
Thank you again and everybody else for your time and great advices, know that this helps a lot. I really like this community. Peace to all !!
:thumbs:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I have been a rebuildable mtl vapor here for a while and even with all this great info, it still will take time and experimentation to really find what works best for you..it's hard to give advice because everyone is different. Personally I feel anything thinner then 28g is a bit trickier to use because the coils move much more and overall are harder to work with...26 & 28g are a breeze and much less headaches. 2 to 2.5 mm coils are best and slightly spaced again are just easier because you don't have to sit there and work out the shorts...now ohms will need to be tried to see your preference, I have experimented alot and find 7 wraps to be a happy medium, so if using kanthal, 26g will be about .8 ohms and 28g over 1 ohm (with 28g, 8 wraps seems really good )..with this wrap count it gives you good heat up time compared to a long 10 wrap coil. So the amount of wraps comes into play with your preference wattage, so if you like 15 watts, then a 10 wrap coil may be to slow , but if you prefer 25 watts, maybe a 7 wrap coil is to fast. Also height of coil from airhole is something to play with, some like it really low, while some like it lifted more, but usually anything from 1.3 to 2mm. I highly recommend the jac vapor mod and doggy style rta, both are great . Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread