Status
Not open for further replies.

gmypc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
GTA, ON
Hello!

New here but been lurking for a while. First, let me say thanks to everyone here - very supportive and informative.

Did a quick search for zyban to search for e-cigs and zyban used together. Most hits were related to past techniques etc. Just curious if the combination is a silly idea or even a 'no-no'.

Got my sights on a ego-c starter kit and just have to research juices. (I have used zyban about 7 years ago - relapsed in year 2)

Thanks!

s14sher

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2011
Oklahoma
A couple of caveats:
  • Please consult your doctor
  • I am not a medical professional and any advice I give is purely for informational purposes and not a medical recommendation.

That said, I have been on Bupropion (The real name for Zyban) for depression/anxiety for several years and I have no issues with vaping while taking it. I smoked for years while taking it and my psychiatrist was aware of it. I personally don't see any difference in smoking or vaping while taking it, other than vaping has far fewer other chemicals in it, so it should be safer.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yes, consult your doctor first.

If I'm not mistaken, Zyban works to help smokers quit by blocking the brain's receptors to whatever is in cigarettes that makes them addictive (nicotine or any of the hundreds of other chemicals). The smoker theoretically will no longer gain pleasure from the cigs and therefore has an easier time to stop.

This however, doesn't take into account for the years of learned behavior of the hand to mouth ritual, holding a cig in the hand ritual, or the desire for inhaling heated air into the throat and lungs. Vaping seems to be more successful to me, because it has all those elements present from smoking, but without the harmful long term effects of inhaling burning tobacco smoke.

Being an alternative nicotine delivery device plays a major role, to be sure. But if only that were true, why are the patch and gum such utter failures for many?

There seems to be a vast majority here who have had more success with just vaping than any of the "approved" methods accepted by the medical community.

Before asking for a prescription for Zyban, find out what the side effects are. Ask friends who have been on it before if they had any side effects. I've heard many people talk about terrible violent dreams that had them wake up in a cold sweat.

Last edited:

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
Remember to have patience. Lots of folks can't stop smoking cold turkey when they first start vaping. If you can fine, but don't expect that, don't put that pressure on yourself. Give it a little time. Most people DO cut back significantly on the analogs almost immediately, even if they don't stop smoking immediately.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Zyban was the first successful thing I used in stopping smoking, but after a week I started getting rashes and eventually welts that required a steroid regimen to clear up. It's one of the side effects if you have any skin related allergies, in my case poison ivy and penicillin intolerance.

It was nearly a decade later that I started vaping and stopped smoking. I wish Zyban had worked for me, but I'm glad I finally found a way past smoking. Good luck whichever path you follow!

Dave76

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Wichita Falls TX
I guess I have been lucky. I've been vaping for all of 10 days. The first three mornings, I just had to have that cigarette. After that, the cravings have disappeared. Only time will tell if it stays that way. Personally, I'd skip the meds and see what happens. If you need it, you can get it later.

Right now, my problem is just habit. My wife smokes so we still have cigs in the house. Sometimes I find myself absent mindedly picking one up. Not that I want it, it's just habit to pick one up.

gmypc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
GTA, ON
440BB, ElectricNebula - Guess I was lucky not to have any side effects when I tried several years ago. Don't know why it worked, maybe just a placebo effect. I was semi-successful until I fell off the wagon 2 years later. Champix however, was a different story. Severe anxiety attacks and sleepless nights - had to stop 1 week into it.

gThompson, Dave76 - You guys gave me something to think about. Never really thought out what my approach is going to be for this time - stop immediately or gradually? Hmmmmmm. All the times I've tried quitting (gum, patch, zyban, champix), it was always a 'hard' stop. I know everyone's different and I guess I have to find out what works for me. This is really good to know though, Thanks!!

Last edited:

jimrug1

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2012
Peoria, IL
I would have chime in with those who recommend e-cigs only first. My sis-in-law did the zyban thing when she quit smoking. Not a pretty picture. She became an emotional mess and went back to analogs after she weened off zyban. I never ever thought I could quit. Vaping will take care of a lot of what the zyban (or other smoking cessation medications) are intended to do. It just may be easier than you think. Good luck! Keep us informed.

Jellyfish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Philly Burbs
Yea...I did the Zyban/Wellbutrin thing years ago. In all honesty, it worked fairly well to help me stop smoking at the time. However, one day I was driving over a bridge to get to the Phillies game and I got these extremely strong feelings of fear. I mean, I'm not sensitive to side effects of drugs and I'm not paranoid or a scaredy cat about anything, and this was an EXTREME response that I attributed to the Wellbutrin. So I discontinued its' use and never felt that anxiety again. Of course, a little while later I reverted to Marlboro Lights again.

So recently, I got my first e-cig and I'm pleasantly surprised at how effectively it's working out. I think that it's probably due to the fact that I'm maintaining the same behavioral pattern and just substituting a nicotine vapor for real smoke. So for now I'm down to about 10% of the real cigs that I used to smoke and I can see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

So based on my experience, I'd agree with the others that recommend that you try the e-cigs FIRST. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread