Newbie Needs a Notcigs Primer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoMatches

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
LI, NY
Newbie here, 2-3 PAD on my 5th day of zero analogs. I have two kits from V4L and they are fine for what they are, but I have gotten spolied using their USB bypass. The single 808 PV just doesn't pack the punch I want/need. So, I've been trying to learn as much about mods as I can. I'm very interested in the Notcigs PV's, but perhaps someone can help be lower my confusion level a bit.

1. How would the difference between the Buzz and the Infinity best be described? Is it mostly athsetics or is there a big difference in performance? Is a voltmeter needed for them? Can someone perhaps mention the pro's/con's of one vs the other?

2. I'm pretty much set on using V4L cartos and juices, which is better for 808's? I don't mind having to use an adapter. I don't care nearly as much about looks or size as I do vapor production and TH. Neither one of them look like 10 pound boat anchors!

3. Someone posted in the V4L forum about the Elegante and how much he loved it, so here I am looking to better understand the product line.

So, basically I am looking for an informative sales pitch. I think this is how I will go for getting my 5 volt fix, but would like to get a better handle on just exactly what it is I'd need on a first order to get going, and which model might be best for me. I know they Infinities are delayed, but it will be several weeks before I am ready to order anyway, so that isn't an issue. (I'm just having some trouble buying into the Bloog hype)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

scinsc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
USA
I've had a Buzz since June. It's the only pv I have use since it arrived. Never had a speck of trouble. Top notch support and service from this company.
Difference between Buzz and Infinity is the Buzz is shorter but has a bigger radius. batteries are easier to find for the Buzz and probably last a little longer. The Infinity looks sleeker but the biggest difference is the voltage adjustment. The Buzz uses a screw head/screwdriver and the infinity uses a wheel much like a Bic lighter. If I had to buy today I would get the Infinity because of the wheel adjustment. Either way you can't lose.

NoMatches

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
LI, NY
I noticed it says the 901/808 connector for the Buzz is slotted. All my carts are V4L and the carts are slotted, I guess that would be a problem? I am leaning towards the Buzz because of the battery availabilty thing. Again, size isn't that important to me, but the wheel on the Infinity sounds nice.

Is it common to have to adjust the voltage? Can you just change it a bit through trial and error, or is it best to have a voltmeter?

scinsc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
USA
I have a native 901 for my Buzz and an adapter for 808's. 808's won't work without the adapter. My adapter has a slot cut perpendicular into the threads and works with all of my V4L's. The Buzz does have a native 808 option though.
I did alot of adjusting at first because I was trying to find the right juice and that took six months. I'm not one to switch flavors around so once I found the right juice and setting on the Buzz I haven't changed the voltage. In my situation the voltmeter was a lot of help at first.
The volt wheel on the Infinity will make adjustments a matter of feel instead of sight. Too weak, dial it up. Too harsh, dial it down. To me this is a big improvement and would save me the need for a voltmeter.
My best advice is for you to email Mike at Notcigs. He is the owner and will help you in any way he can. I know I sound like a #*&%boy for this company but I believe in giving credit where credit is due. Go to the supplier’s forum for Notcigs and see what others say.

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Hi Nomatches and welcome! I own both an Infinity and a Buzz and love them both. That being said, I personally would suggest that with your V4L wow cartos I would go with the Buzz with an 808 top cap. The slots are supposed to be there, they line up with the slots on your cartos to insure the easy draw.

SC has already talked about the difference between looks and the voltage adjustment (screw vs. thumb wheel) but there is another difference that a few folks seem to miss when choosing between the two. As SC said, the voltage range is wider on the Buzz, but there is also a difference in the amp range. The Infinity can't handle more than a 2 amp draw and that puts quite a few of the most popular cartos and atties on the edge of tripping the over current protection that is build into both units. With the Infinity you have to make sure that your cartos or atties are no less than 2.8ohm. This is a problem you would not have with the Buzz, it can handle down to around 2.2 or so ohms. Your V4L cartos are most likely 2.8 to 3.0ohms.

You certainly can experiment with adjusting your voltage on either unit without a meter. I bought the little screw on meter just because I was curious, but if you don't care what your voltage is no big deal :) There is a chart for the Buzz to give you an idea of how many turns = what volts. It will come pre set at 4.5v.

Battery life...Buzz gets about 8 hours of moderate to heavy vaping. Infinity will get 5 or 6 hours. Whichever you choose, I would get 2 or 3 sets of batteries and the TR-001 multi charger.

I see you mentioned the Elegante...I have one and it is nothing more than your V4L e-cig with a bigger battery sold by a different company :) Here is a picture of what I own, you can compare sizes and looks. The only 2 units in this pic that are variable voltage are the Infinity and the Buzz. Hope this helps you some, I know it can be very confusing to a beginner. Please feel free to ask any questions you have!

From left to right: Chuck, Infinity, Buzz, Elegant, regular KR808
Infinity004.jpg

El Dee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2010
DIXIE
NoMatches...Congratulations too you for 5 days stinky free!!! You have come too the right place.. Today is my one year anniversary without "stinkies" ..This is how I roll and what I suggest you do..

V4L cartos...I've had a few....Visit IkenVape{IKV} The Mega 808s are what you need...They are much better all around compared too V4L cartos...Then arm yourself with a Buzz, charger, 3 sets of batteries{6 total} and get the meter from NotCigs...I'd get the 510 cap on the Buzz and adapters for an 808 and maybe an 801 as well...808s are slotted and perform better should you use a 901 atty. When adapting from 510 no extra length is added too the set up...that is a big plus and you have some awesome 510 choices as well....IKV is out of stock most always...Stock up when you can...I've blown thru every brand available and use IKV's V2 510 Drip Tips, Mega 808s, Fusion 801s and High Voltage 901 atties...You will not beat them....Liberty Flights has Boge 510 cartos that also tote the mail!! I found them due too IKV stock being depleted..

Giving up smoking is challenging....That is the reason we stand with Mike{NotCigs}. The Buzz is a lifesaving workhorse of a PV...I run two chargers and two sets of batteries at all times. One set for the Buzz and one Infinity set..One set remains on the wings in case of battery failure. You're new too this and that's why I say Buzz first,,Infinity second...and yes I would get both...but Buzz first...The meter will allow you too see voltages easily and with one brand of carto it really doesn't require frequent changes...You can use up you V4Ls also...However with IKV you can achieve the Holy Grail...As you progress get the Infinity...1 for a backup and 2 for running another flavor of juice...Then you will have the best rigs available and non-smoking days will add up with no difficulties..I'll turn you over too the Buzz Army now...More suggestions are coming..NoMatches I say order the Buzz...and some IKV...NOW!!!! You'll thank me when you take that first hit!!!!!!!!!!

NoMatches

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
LI, NY
Thanks everyone. This is the sort of thing that just confounds us newbies. We start with a V4L kit, immediately want a battery PV that performs like V4L's USB bypass, and then we get lost.

So it sounds like the Buzz should be first on my list. Great! I want to avoid 3 piece setups if I can, another eason why I like the V4L cartos. Simpler, easier. So, I should order a Buzz with the 808 adapter, and the volmeter and I should be good to go? This is what I am looking for now. Mega 808's sound great, but for now I'd like to just stick with my V4L's but order the Buzz correctly configured to keep other options open, like the mega 808's. I take it the Mega 808's use a seperate atty? And using a seperate atty is what most of you prefer?

If I order the 808 adapter, will Mike know what connector to put on the Buzz? Which one would that be?

Does this sound right? If I have this right, I'm pretty much ready to order my Buzz. I'll wait for further help and spoon feeding... LOL, I appreciate your patience! I'm actually not a stooopid guy!

PS: Yes, I forgot to mention three pairs of batts and the charger

Last edited:

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
Nomatches , a Buzz KIT ( includes the Buzz+batts+charger ) is what you will need :

BTW I am working on the web site today because of your comments THANKS !

You might want a 901-808 adapter also , this will allow you to get more airflow IF you want ( not totally necessary but it is an option )

With this setup you should be good to go , but add at least one extra set of batteries so you can have a set charging while you vape.

scinsc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
USA
I can appreciate being confused about all of this. I think most of us have been in your shoes. It really is easier than it looks. One thing I noticed is your use of the word atties when it comes to 808's. As far as I know there are no 808 atties. They only come in Cartomizers. An attie has two parts, the atomizer itself and a cartridge (two pieces). A cartomizer is like an attie and cartridge combined (one piece). You use either one or the other. As far as a connector is concerned any of them will work because you can get adapters for just about any combination i.e. 510 to 901, 901 to 801, 510 to 808 ect, ect. Most folks get a base 510 on their PV just because there are more 510 products on the market. So if you get a Buzz with a 510 connector all you need to do to be able to use an 808 cartomizer is buy a 510 to 808 adapter. Hope this helps.

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
NoMatches, now your hardest decision of all....What color Buzz will you pick?!?! :)

We're happy to have you here and happy to hand walk and spoon feed...we were ALL new to this at one time!! Take your time branching out on other cartos and such. If your V4L cartos are making you happy now then no need to change. And to answer one of your questions...the mega 808 Dee mentioned is an empty carto that you fill with e-liquid that you buy, but it holds about twice as much as the ones you use now. It screws right on your battery connector just like your V4Ls. Are you using pre-filled caros or filling them yourself?

paco

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Chino CA
Hello fellow, good job on being smoke free, and any if the notcigs PVs will keep you on the road.

First thing first, iv own my buzz since June/July and since the day I have gotten it iv been using it, one thing that only some people here can say about the buzz is that it doesn't break!! I'm always working outside and I drop it at least once a day, sometimes I'll drop it four times a day (happened the other day) mostly from leaving it on my lap and when I get out of the car I forget and it falls down, I use a 510, so my Bogo cartos haves male connection and the buzz has the female connection, one time I dropped it and the threads of my carto broke inside my buzzes connection, lucky I was able to turn it out. Pretty much what I'm saying is that the buzz can take a Ton of ABuSe!! Trust me on this, and a voltmeter will help just to give you an idea but why I would recommend is when you get it it's set at 4.5v and just try it out with some fresh charged battery's, then if you feel like you need more TH more vapor turn it up a half turn, or if the juice taste a little to over cooked turn it down, once you notice that your not even Turning the voltage screw anymore then check the voltage and see what your sweet spot is. Also I can't comment on the Infinity because I just ordered it a few days ago and I'm just waiting for it to come.

And besides that trust us on this, all of use here have other mods that just sit without being used anymore, this won't happen to you. Vape on buddy.

El Dee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2010
DIXIE
NoMatches as Paco has said the Buzz is indestructible...It's IMO a lifesaving tool and it's indestructibility is the reason I favor it over the Infinity for you at this point.. Your current set-up would be called 808 native....an 808 screws right on with no adapter..Adapters add length too your rig...510 native connections are female not male like the 808 native...When adapting from a 510 native too an 808 no extra length is gained...A big plus...Order your Buzz with a 510 cap and get a 510 too 808 adapter...Then later when you want too try another carto just get whatever adapter is needed...The 510 native set-up leaves more options for down the road and there is some kicking 510 stuff as well!! I've got heavy experience with the V4L cartos...I'm just saying that when it comes time too restock much better options are available...Mind you I haven't ordered from V4L in over six months so improvements could have been made...Either way we'll be here too guide your journey along....

NoMatches

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
LI, NY
Nomatches , a Buzz KIT ( includes the Buzz+batts+charger ) is what you will need :

BTW I am working on the web site today because of your comments THANKS !

You might want a 901-808 adapter also , this will allow you to get more airflow IF you want ( not totally necessary but it is an option )

With this setup you should be good to go , but add at least one extra set of batteries so you can have a set charging while you vape.

All of you have been incredibly helpful!

Someone suggested a 510 native and a 510-808 adapter for max flexability down the road. That sounds good to me. Size is not my main concern, and I understand the adapter adds little of that any way.

So, if the 510 to 808 is the right choice for future flexabilty, I need to order a Buzz kit with a 510 native, a 510 to 808 adapter, an extra set of batts, voltmeter optional but recommended, and I'm gonna be a Buzzard? Sounds like a plan... I'll order it tonight. Thanks again everyone for all of your help.

I am now ordering prefilled cartos from V4L, love the flavors, and I'm also reloading them with juice using the condom method.

That tip about maintaining max flexability with a 510 native... now THAT is exactly the sort of info that is so hard to find out! It would be a shame to get the wrong native and get stuck with it.

Last edited:

NoMatches

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
LI, NY
I also undestand the difference between a cartomizer and a cart. I really would prefer to have all my carts come with an integrated atty. I like the simplicity of the two piece sytem.... for now. I'm a newb. That is why being sure I have flexability down the road is so very important. I want my Buzz to remain off the obsolete pile. Future flexability is VERY important.

Oh, and I'm definitely goin BLACK!

Last edited:

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Woot to the black! And I hear you on the simplicity...I've been vaping for 7 months and you couldn't pay me to switch from my cartos to using an atty. I do use an atty for tasting new flavors and my DIY mixes but that's it.

There are also adapters to go from 808 to 510...and just about every other configuration you can think of! I just tried to keep my suggestions to what your stated preferences were :) 510 native is what I have on my Buzz and Infinity tho.

paco

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Chino CA
Yes try looking at places where you get your juice or parts from, try litecigusa, type that in google and it'll pop up, they have a ton of attys and carry every type of adapter you can think of, if you like cartos better cause they are a one piece system, you van also pick up a pack of 5 Bogo 510 cartos for like 7.50 at LiteCigUSA, I use them an love them, just careful with dark juices since they seem to plug up cartos faster at higher voltages.

I love black, but I tried my buzz in silver, and I have to say that silver with brass caps looks 10 times better than in the pictures. Good luck,

samsmom

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
OK, hiccup. I don't see a 510 to 808 adapter, only a 910 to 808. Again, now I am unsure about what to order. Someone said the 510 native is best for future flexabilty. Does that mean I have to go off looking for a 510 to 808 elsewhere?

Hi NoMatches and welcome to the Buzz Army! I ordered mine this past weekend and got my shipping notice today. I am a big V4L user but realized like you that the taste and performance was much better with the P/T at 5 V.

I ordered the native 808 since I use mostly 808 cartos - I like V4L cool carts and BOGE 808's. If you order the 510 native you need to get the 510-901 adapter.

901 and 808 are the same so anytime you see something that is 901 it will work on an 808.

Hope that makes sense.

I actually ordered the native 808 like I stated earlier but ordered the 901-510 adapter to use 510 cartos/atttys. So I am covered no matter what I choose to use! I also like the IkenVape 808 Megas and those will probably be replacing my Cool Carts as they hold more liquid.

Best of luck! Everyone here is so helpful!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread