Status
Not open for further replies.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
@ Credo....... Am I right on the estimate of the wire gauge the manufacturer is using for the Bolt (26 or 28 Ga)? I have not pried mine apart but from pics it looks pretty thin. What size wire did you rewire with? I have been meaning to do some surgery on this thing and your post has pushed me over the edge ;)

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
@ Credo....... Am I right on the estimate of the wire gauge the manufacturer is using for the Bolt (26 or 28 Ga)? I have not pried mine apart but from pics it looks pretty thin. What size wire did you rewire with? I have been meaning to do some surgery on this thing and your post has pushed me over the edge ;)

No idea...one cool thing about wire...it's pretty hard to get it 'too big' and it still be able to fit inside a bolt ;) With that in mind look in your junk pile for dead stuff that has wire in/on it and cut a chunk out. You'll want a wire large enough to handle 3 or so amps.

I just took a dead ATX computer power supply and cut about an inch of that off one of the molex plugs intended to plug into a hard drive. Shouldn't matter if you choose yellow, red, or black wire from the ATX standard...it's all the same gage, and should be well more than enough to safely do this job without adding any noticeable extra resistance to the circuit.

First I stripped and tinned to half inch pieces of wire (could go shorter with the wires...but I'm not as dexterous in my old age...so I wanted some room to work with).

Next I soldered one end of the first wire piece to the gold button that touches the top of your Kick/Battery. Then I threaded that part back into place in the Bolt. Next I soldered one end of the second wire piece to the center post of the 510 connector inside the Bolt. Finally I soldered in the switch...making sure there would be no way for wires to short with button pushing/twisting. I backed the button out and injected mounds of hot glue in there...pushed the button back in while still good and hot, and put it in a table vice just tight enough to hold the button in place to cool off (10 minutes or so should be good, but I let mine sit there over an hour...could use rubber bands, or weights, or whatever if you don't have a vice handy).

No idea what exact size that wire I used is (way over-rated for our needs here) but it'll certainly get the job done safely. I'm guessing my wire is copper (possibly some grade of aluminum), and no problem with it handling the 2 to 3 amp current possible with the Kicked mod.

In short...if you have a little bigger wire than you need it won't hurt a thing. It's just when it's too small and flimsy with cheap insulation that it becomes an issue.

I put the original switch back in for the time being...if you need another one find a switch rated for at least 3 amps of similar size/shape that'll fit in the hole. I think the name for that style switch in electronics stores is 'horn switch', meaning it only makes contact whilst it is HELD DOWN.

Yep, for me it it really does work 200 times better...before I rewired it I'd get a few puffs and it'd act like the battery was dead! I'd unscrew the Bolt, put it back together, and get a few more puffs. First I got conductive aluminum paste to put on the threads thinking that was the problem...but still no dice. As a last ditch effort I decided to rewire the thing.

After swapping out the wire things just started working...now battery life is more like 4 to 8 hours (or more depending on the carto and other stuff). I use Drew's purple 18500 batteries from his "Kick Kit".

Last edited:

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
200 times better-Wow, wish I could do that, sounds easy but as usual I'm a Woman thats all thumbs and I know I would mess it up.

If you have a soldering iron, solder, a small screw driver, needle nose pliars, and a bit of patience I'm sure you could manage. If not...find a nice fellah who's all the time installing car stereos and such (and won't charge you more than a mod cost in the first place) and see if he'll pop in a new wire and switch for ya? Seriously, it's a 15 minute job or less...and the parts needed can probably come out of the trash for free as people throw away tons of appliances and stuff daily.

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
The Kicks are up!!!

ALSO, Don't forget the Kit that comes with
Kick
■2 IMR High Drain 18500/18490 Batteries 1600mAh 3.7V
■2 2.5 ohm 510 bridgeless atomizers
■1 2 ohm 510 clear colossal dual coil cartomizer
The Kick Start Kit

And The Kicked Xhaler which is the best deal around and comes in Polished, Safety Slotted or just like your old favorite and holds the 18650 batteries also!!!

Kicked Xhaler

xhalers.jpg

Last edited:

BB3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
Florida Panhandle
One of my two kicks has mysteriously stopped working. Do I go through you or contact evolv for warranty service? And i have swapped it out in the mod where my other kick is working and still no love.

Thanks.

BB3

P.S.: I tried to go through the contact form on your website but my anti-virus kept blocking it.

DrOckW

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Colorado
Drew,

A big thanks to you and your crew for working on Saturday it is appreciated. I am now Kicked and so is my wife. Got the batteries all charged up and so far, Amazing! Very glad that you're a distributor of a great product and an owner of a company that offers superior service!

Next stop, Darwin. Time to start working on my wife for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread