Nhaler Post Censoring (He who controls the presses...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my Chuck :( Don't put us all in the "bad" category :( I've been following the threads but don't have much of an opinion either way. Love the mod I have and have no plans or needs for another (plus hubby would probably kill me if I thought of ordering another)

We're not all haters of other mods! :p

I'm baffled by the partisanism. If you're happy with your Chuck, can't you be happy for me when I get my Xhaler? If you have more than one, can you accept that some people might have a different preference?

When I started researching commercial mods, the first thing I figured out is that 3.7V vaping is 3.7V vaping, 5V vaping is 5V vaping, and 6V vaping is 6V vaping. The differences between mods are matters of aesthetics, engineering, ergonomics, and marketing. Determining the performance is more a matter of your personal preferences of battery, atomizer, and juice. That's why I decided to get the Xhaler: Because I suspect that I'm going to prefer 5V, but I like having 6V as an option too, and getting 3.7V or 7.4V is only a matter of buying some batteries.

Thulium -

Yes, I can see that the Xhaler does indeed change from 5v to 6v... however, being the mere mortal (read: not savvy in the realm of ohm, voltage etc.) that I am, when I saw the reversal of cap twisting vs. voltage I get a little :confused: ya know

Yeah, I saw that in the video too and when I tried to verify which way he was turning I was getting confused myself. Recognizing the ratcheting of his fingers it wasn't always clear if he was tightening or loosening or removing the cap or which way he was turning it. But like I explained above, I figure its kind of like when you are screwing on a lightbulb or flashlight: it flickers on and off a few times before its fully tightened.

Are we really going to crucify Drew because he turned the cap the wrong way a couple of times?

The power of suggestion is amazing. Everybody was relieved to see that Drew proved the Xhaler runs at 5V...but then one person points out a stupid detail about the direction Drews hand appears to be turning and suddenly "oh noes!!!1! conspiracy!! censorship!!" and "See? I told you it didn't work!" blah blah blah :rolleyes: No wonder Drew was fed up!

landy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
Yeah, I saw that in the video too and when I tried to verify which way he was turning I was getting confused myself. Recognizing the ratcheting of his fingers it wasn't always clear if he was tightening or loosening or removing the cap or which way he was turning it. But like I explained above, I figure its kind of like when you are screwing on a lightbulb or flashlight: it flickers on and off a few times before its fully tightened.

Are we really going to crucify Drew because he turned the cap the wrong way a couple of times?

The power of suggestion is amazing. Everybody was relieved to see that Drew proved the Xhaler runs at 5V...but then one person points out a stupid detail about the direction Drews hand appears to be turning and suddenly "oh noes!!!1! conspiracy!! censorship!!" and "See? I told you it didn't work!" blah blah blah :rolleyes: No wonder Drew was fed up!

Its not a stupid detail. And the fact that the video was removed rather quickly fuels the fire. An unbiased party needs to prove or disprove this once and for all, and then we can go about whatever it is we all do.

ShantaSena

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Arizona

The power of suggestion IS quite profound. However, I saw *both* videos. In one, I believed what I saw with my own eyes until it was disproved..... now I am waiting to see with my own eyes why it was a tad faulty in the beginning. Noone has convinced me either way, as a consumer (especially with products I cannot verify myself) I rely on the manufacturer to explain the way their product is used.

In this case, I was told.... tight cap, less voltage.. loose cap, more voltage. This does not correlate with what I saw, so I am looking for further explanation. It may be a "stupid/ridiculous/trivial" detail to you but it isn't to me. Not eveyone here asking questions is doing so just to trash Drew or his products.... some people just have genuine concerns, please do not lump everyone together in a pot-stirring package.

In this case, I was told.... tight cap, less voltage.. loose cap, more voltage. This does not correlate with what I saw, so I am looking for further explanation. It may be a "stupid/ridiculous/trivial" detail to you but it isn't to me. Not eveyone here asking questions is doing so just to trash Drew or his products.... some people just have genuine concerns, please do not lump everyone together in a pot-stirring package.

I'm not certain about which way he was turning it at the beginning because he wasn't doing it very deliberately. I'm sure he started to turn it one way and then realized he meant to turn it the other way and he could have been jiggling it...It honestly doesn't matter: If the cap was making contact with the setscrew, you get 5V, if its not you get 6V...it doesn't matter which way you turn it or if you apply pressure or whatever to make contact. If the cap touches the setscrew, its 5V if it doesn't touch the setscrew you get 6V. The problem in the old video is that the cap wasn't touching the setscrew if it was tight or not. The middle part of the video showed it producing 6V if it was tightened or not because the setscrew was moved so that it wouldn't make contact even if the cap was fully tightened.

ShantaSena

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Arizona
I'm not certain about which way he was turning it at the beginning because he wasn't doing it very deliberately. I'm sure he started to turn it one way and then realized he meant to turn it the other way and he could have been jiggling it...It honestly doesn't matter: If the cap was making contact with the setscrew, you get 5V, if its not you get 6V...it doesn't matter which way you turn it or if you apply pressure or whatever to make contact. If the cap touches the setscrew, its 5V if it doesn't touch the setscrew you get 6V. The problem in the old video is that the cap wasn't touching the setscrew if it was tight or not. The middle part of the video showed it producing 6V if it was tightened or not because the setscrew was moved so that it wouldn't make contact even if the cap was fully tightened.

I am hard-pressed to believe that you cannot tell which way he is turning the cap in the video. Also, WHY do you care so much if I have questions about this?? Honestly, you seem quite (although elegantly stated) rabid in deflecting any doubt people might have and turning that in to "trashing" or "ridiculous details". Not everyone agrees with you, it's OK, I'm a big girl and will make my decision based on what *I* perceive to be the facts... not your perception.

Mosin

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Highland, CA
Hey All,
I'm a nubie @ ~3 weeks non-smoking after 20 years (!) who learned Everything I Ever Wanted to Know About E-Cigs here as a lurker...including where to get the best hardware and software...which led me to Drew and Nhaler as well as other great vendors (Geoff at TV for example). Several orders totalling ~$800 later and I am still impressed with Nhaler's customer service, light speed shipping, and Lung Juices... Good Stuff Maynard! A+ for experiences with Drew and Nhaler products so far.

I also bought an Xhaler, and have been nursing on it with 801s, 901s, and cartos, at what I thought was 5v. Whatever ther voltage, it has been a heavenly experience so far. With that said, after reading these threads I went out to my garage (which still reeks of cig smoke residue...eew) and did a very unscientific test of the Xhaler with my multimeter. Basically, I put the neg clip on the brass cap threads, and the red clip to the springed center post. When I pushed the button, the meter jumped to 6.5v and stayed there. I loosened the cap...same result. Turned the cap to many positions... same result...off, tight, loose...6.5v. Not sure if this is how to run the test (?) or if I am doing something wrong, but that is what my meter showed.

I'm not a modder or electrician, but I am mechanically minded, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how the cap could lower the voltage in relation to the existing button mechanism. Then again, I could not believe that an RV fridge and frezer could actually be cooled by propane in 100+ degree weather until I was schooled on that innovation, so.... I am looking forward to being schooled on the resistor cap! :pop:

I am hard-pressed to believe that you cannot tell which way he is turning the cap in the video. Also, WHY do you care so much if I have questions about this?? Honestly, you seem quite (although elegantly stated) rabid in deflecting any doubt people might have and turning that in to "trashing" or "ridiculous details". Not everyone agrees with you, it's OK, I'm a big girl and will make my decision based on what *I* perceive to be the facts... not your perception.

I am having a hard time understanding what difference it makes which way Drew turned the cap to make it touch the setscrew. Honestly it was being a little finnicky at the beginning, then Drew adjusts it so that it doesn't give 5V no matter if the cap is tight or not, then he fixes it back and the last portion of the video you can see rather clearly that he turns it to the right to tighten it and it goes to 5V and then left to loosen it and it goes to 6V.

Bottom line is the video proves conclusively that the Xhaler CAN do 5V. If I get mine and I don't find a difference between 5V mode and 6V mode I will call the phone number on the business card that I'm certain will be in the package and ask Drew how to adjust the setscrew properly and enjoy dual voltage vaping.

Its not a stupid detail. And the fact that the video was removed rather quickly fuels the fire. An unbiased party needs to prove or disprove this once and for all, and then we can go about whatever it is we all do.

I understand that taking the thread down gives fuel to the hater's...but at this point I'm sick of pointing out eroneous logical leaps and patently false accusations so I completely understand why Drew doesn't care what the haters thinks.

ShantaSena

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Arizona
Hey All,
I'm a nubie @ ~3 weeks non-smoking after 20 years (!) who learned Everything I Ever Wanted to Know About E-Cigs here as a lurker...including where to get the best hardware and software...which led me to Drew and Nhaler as well as other great vendors (Geoff at TV for example). Several orders totalling ~$800 later and I am still impressed with Nhaler's customer service, light speed shipping, and Lung Juices... Good Stuff Maynard! A+ for experiences with Drew and Nhaler products so far.

I also bought an Xhaler, and have been nursing on it with 801s, 901s, and cartos, at what I thought was 5v. Whatever ther voltage, it has been a heavenly experience so far. With that said, after reading these threads I went out to my garage (which still reeks of cig smoke residue...eew) and did a very unscientific test of the Xhaler with my multimeter. Basically, I put the neg clip on the brass cap threads, and the red clip to the springed center post. When I pushed the button, the meter jumped to 6.5v and stayed there. I loosened the cap...same result. Turned the cap to many positions... same result...off, tight, loose...6.5v. Not sure if this is how to run the test (?) or if I am doing something wrong, but that is what my meter showed.

I'm not a modder or electrician, but I am mechanically minded, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how the cap could lower the voltage in relation to the existing button mechanism. Then again, I could not believe that an RV fridge and frezer could actually be cooled by propane in 100+ degree weather until I was schooled on that innovation, so.... I am looking forward to being schooled on the resistor cap! :pop:

I have no idea how to run a test on it. You could start a new thread asking how... or do a search to find instrutions. I am positive there are several threads about it! I would be very interested in the results! Thanks for posting.

Hey All,

Call or PM Drew. He should be able to tell you how to adjust the setscrew.

Based on what I can see in the video, I think you can fix your Xhaler by turning the setscrew so that it is even with the bottom edge of the unit and would make contact with the cap when tightened. It looked like Drew showed that it is properly adjusted by placing a metal tool (he used a dental pick) across and it touched the setscrew and the sides of the unit activating it without touching the button (you can see the voltage jump to 6V in the video). Then replace the cap and tighten it and see if you then get 5V. ...or call Drew first because that's actually just a guess from somebody who's got a lot of experience as a troubleshooter but honestly not much knowledge of electronics. lol

Enjoy your Xhaler. Please no longer concern *yourself* with *my* concerns.

Was the tone of my answer insulting to you? If so, I sincerely apologize..its a side effect of mixing the frustrations of the day with being uncertain how detailed an explanation is needed and occassionally coming off sounding a little condescending to avoid adding to the confusion of miscommunication.

Wireguy

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Birmingham Al
I think you need to go back and watch the video again and listen. If you are going to advocate for this you should at least be giving out advice that agrees with Drew's

Call or PM Drew. He should be able to tell you how to adjust the setscrew.

Based on what I can see in the video, I think you can fix your Xhaler by turning the setscrew so that it is even with the bottom edge of the unit and would make contact with the cap when tightened. It looked like Drew showed that it is properly adjusted by placing a metal tool (he used a dental pick) across and it touched the setscrew and the sides of the unit activating it without touching the button (you can see the voltage jump to 6V in the video). Then replace the cap and tighten it and see if you then get 5V. ...or call Drew first because that's actually just a guess from somebody who's got a lot of experience as a troubleshooter but honestly not much knowledge of electronics. lol

ShantaSena

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Arizona
Was the tone of my answer insulting to you? If so, I sincerely apologize..its a side effect of mixing the frustrations of the day with being uncertain how detailed an explanation is needed and occassionally coming off sounding a little condescending to avoid adding to the confusion of miscommunication.

There is no tone to black and white written words for me. Your words are what were insulting, along with your inability to allow others (namely me) to voice an opinion or question without a need to argue.

Whether you meant to or not, you certainly present yourself as someone looking for a debate. No need here, those folks left the thread a long time ago.

I think you need to go back and watch the video again and listen. If you are going to advocate for this you should at least be giving out advice that agrees with Drew's

ooh, you busted me there. The sound card on my laptop isn't working, so I'm going based completely on what I see cuz I can't hear it at all....so FINE, I'll go pull it up on a different machine! :-x

There is no tone to black and white written words for me. Your words are what were insulting, along with your inability to allow others (namely me) to voice an opinion or question without a need to argue.

Whether you meant to or not, you certainly present yourself as someone looking for a debate. No need here, those folks left the thread a long time ago.

That was not my intention whatsoever so I am sorry you felt that way. I was feeling some of Drew's frustration and was going to just leave this thread but your question seemed sincere so I tried to give you a sincere answer. I did not mean for it to insult you.

I thought I was answering your question honestly. I did not realize you had a predetermined opinion.

Last edited:

ShantaSena

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Arizona
That was not my intention whatsoever so I am sorry you felt that way.

I thought I was answering your question honestly. I did not realize you had a predetermined opinion.

What predetermined opinion was that? I didn't realize I had one either.

Seriously, if you can't see the things you were typing that had nothing to do with me and my posts, but everything to do with prior drama you took part in... I can't really help you.

With that, I will make my exit!

Mosin

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Highland, CA
I just watched the video again to find out how to adjust my setscrew, went out and tried it, and still came back with 6.54v. I tried several "depths" or levels of tightness with no luck. In watching the video, it is very odd that the procedure is working backwards in the beginning (i.e. loosening drops the voltage, and tightening raises it) so rather than speculate I'll just get back to m'popcorn bag and hope for some more info and/or resolution....

:pop:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread