Nhaler Post Censoring (He who controls the presses...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What predetermined opinion was that? I didn't realize I had one either.

I don't know. You said "Your words are what were insulting, along with your inability to allow others (namely me) to voice an opinion or question without a need to argue." So I took that to mean that you had one.

Wireguy

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Birmingham Al
She is gone. I don't blame her.

First I never considered any mod other than the GG or Super T, for elegance and the Bartlby for simplicity. Realistically I will never buy a mod. I'm to good at building things myself and I enjoy it. So other than an addiction to nicotine and this forum I don't give a .... one way or the other. You can go check my post if you want to. They are mostly about building and trouble shooting.

There is a difference between an opinion and a predetermined opinion. Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing.

Go watch the video and listen to it. Pause it. back it up and watch it again. Repeat untill you are sure you have the direction of turn with associated voltage down. It took me about 6 times.When you are SURE you have it down come back and post. I'll be interested in your observations. Your answer will prove your observation skills and integrity.

I don't know. You said "Your words are what were insulting, along with your inability to allow others (namely me) to voice an opinion or question without a need to argue." So I took that to mean that you had one.

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
whats that black thing in the lower left corner? connected to wires going to the load... and how come it can't be seen during the test? I JUST WANT TO KNOW THAT IT WORKS I am not saying what the xhaler can or can't do but with the obvious button flaw and what IMO is extra wires that maybe hooked to a dc power supply and the unit doesn't have batteries

These are only assumptions I am not trying to start anything.. I am just a possible consumer that would like some valid facts... before I make a purchase.... I DON"T CARE HOW I just need to see a valid test that ACTUALLY SHOWS one way or another.... it is easy to make a test with out any unknown variables.... I DON"T KNOW who to believe.. but I know how basic electronics works.... I do repair medical equipment for a living so a simple circuit isn't above my head... SO give me a video with a load multimeter and xhaler hooked up properly with a proper view.... otherwise I will just stop thinking about it and drop this entire thing..... I DON"T need assumptions... I don't need THEORies I DONT need toknow the "secret" THIS video and the other videos DONT PROVE SHISS one way or another

DETAILS MATTER to me because that would be the reason I bought the XHaler... you see in my sig block what I have... and it might not be tons of stuff I am satisified with em... but I would love to add to my collection something different..

I am not claiming or disclaiming but I am not satisfied with the outcome so far...... and don't insult my intelligence and tell me that this proves or the others disprove... because right now i am leaning towards the disprove... because I am not comfortable in making the purchase...

I am nobody so you can ignore ... dismiss ... or misinterpret my misspelling filled post

but that's that.... I am no fanboy or hater I am just a cautious consumer that LOVES ECF but dislikes the turn of events of this current matter

and with that I say GOOD DAY

Seriously, if you can't see the things you were typing that had nothing to do with me and my posts, but everything to do with prior drama you took part in... I can't really help you.

ShantaSena, I just looked back through my last few posts on this thread to see if I could figure out what I specifically did to offend you and I can see a couple of possibilities:

1. I made references to "erroneous logic" and "false accusations". Please understand that I was not referring to you at all. I agreed that your question was posed fairly--that's why I tried to answer it. I'm sorry my answer was not sufficient for you.

2. I said that "I don't understand what difference it makes which way it was turned". Believe me or not, but that sentence was meant to diffuse the situation, but I see now that it was not taken that way. What I meant is that it is possible the cap was making contact with the setscrew even if it was not screwed tight--Drew could have been applying pressure to the cap creating the contact or it could simply have jiggled causing an inconsistent result. I think that was part of the point of this video: to show what can cause the test results to be inconsistent.

Remember that the point of this video was not a demonstration on how to test this or an explanation of exactly how it works (I think Drew would like to keep his trade secrets), it was answering the plea for proof that the Xhaler can do 5V as advertised. The video showed that quite clearly, and he took it down not because he was trying to avoid your question but because people were taking your legitimate question and accusing him of faking the entire video. (As if the reason it took Drew a "whole" month since launching the Xhaler to post a video was because he was busy hiring a special effects team or rigging multimeters to falsify results. lol!)

Is it possible that the Xhaler was giving 5V with a loose cap and 6V with a tight cap? I honestly don't know, and there are too many potential variables to give a definitive answer. The point remains that once Drew adjusted the setscrew, it definitely operated EXACTLY as advertised: tight 5V, loose 6V. Which way he was turning the cap before the adjustment is apropos of nothing as no matter what was confusing the results prior to the adjustment, it is clear that it was operating correctly at the end. If the problem is fixed, does it really matter if the problem was actual or merely perceptual?

You seem certain that the video showed the cap loose with 5V and tight with 6V. I wasn't actually there to touch it and verify that the cap was loose or tight and I'm not absolutely certain which way he turned it. Regardless, he showed the voltage switch between 5V and 6V by turning the cap. If that's not good enough for you, perhaps you would be happier with a mod that doesn't give you the option.

Go watch the video and listen to it. Pause it. back it up and watch it again. Repeat untill you are sure you have the direction of turn with associated voltage down. It took me about 6 times.When you are SURE you have it down come back and post. I'll be interested in your observations. Your answer will prove your observation skills and integrity.

I will do that. Like I said, I don't have audio right now, but I'll try it on my daughters computer which is even slower than this thing...

That said, I pointed out above why it really doesn't matter which way he turned it as it is possible to make the cap physically contact the setscrew causing the Xhaler to give 5V when the cap is loose and it is possible for the cap to NOT make physical contact with the setscrew causing the Xhaler to give 6V when the cap is tight if the setscrew is not properly adjusted.

That said. I'll rewatch several times and report back. :cool:

MHR7331

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
SoCal
I will do that. Like I said, I don't have audio right now, but I'll try it on my daughters computer which is even slower than this thing...

That said, I pointed out above why it really doesn't matter which way he turned it as it is possible to make the cap physically contact the setscrew causing the Xhaler to give 5V when the cap is loose and it is possible for the cap to NOT make physical contact with the setscrew causing the Xhaler to give 6V when the cap is tight if the setscrew is not properly adjusted.

That said. I'll rewatch several times and report back. :cool:

Better yet, run some tests when you get yours and post the video. You'd be the first customer to do so, AFAIK. :)

Wireguy

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Birmingham Al
So if you hold your mouth wrong it gives different voltages? If thats true it sounds like a design flaw to me. Holding tongue, er fingers. Hold your mouth wrong is an expression by the way, I'm not really suggesting the mouth has anything to do with it.

"That said, I pointed out above why it really doesn't matter which way he turned it as it is possible to make the cap physically contact the setscrew causing the Xhaler to give 5V when the cap is loose and it is possible for the cap to NOT make physical contact with the setscrew causing the Xhaler to give 6V when the cap is tight if the setscrew is not properly adjusted."

whats that black thing in the lower left corner? connected to wires going to the load... and how come it can't be seen during the test? I JUST WANT TO KNOW THAT IT WORKS I am not saying what the xhaler can or can't do but with the obvious button flaw and what IMO is extra wires that maybe hooked to a dc power supply and the unit doesn't have batteries

I think the black thing in the lower left corner is an atomizer connected by alligator clips to the Xhaler & meter to give the test rig a "real world" current load.

These are only assumptions I am not trying to start anything.. I am just a possible consumer that would like some valid facts... before I make a purchase.... I DON"T CARE HOW I just need to see a valid test that ACTUALLY SHOWS one way or another.... it is easy to make a test with out any unknown variables.... I DON"T KNOW who to believe.. but I know how basic electronics works.... I do repair medical equipment for a living so a simple circuit isn't above my head... SO give me a video with a load multimeter and xhaler hooked up properly with a proper view.... otherwise I will just stop thinking about it and drop this entire thing..... I DON"T need assumptions... I don't need THEORies I DONT need toknow the "secret" THIS video and the other videos DONT PROVE SHISS one way or another

This video shows the Xhaler hooked to an atomizer and multimeter reading at 5V and 6V settings.

DETAILS MATTER to me bec ause that would be the reason I bought the XHaler... you see in my sig block what I have... and it might not be tons of stuff I am satisified with em... but I would love to add to my collection something different..

Maybe you should just not get an Xhaler. Clearly you don't trust Drew to live up to his reputation or any of the reviewers who report that they prefer 5V over 6V (or vice versa). Drew didn't have to post a video--heck, most suppliers wouldn't even bother to be here in the first place...but he did and he gave his best effort to make a video that clearly shows the Xhaler operating at a selectable 5v or 6v setting. If that wasn't proof enough for you, I'm not sure what would be.

If you are honestly concerned and can tell me what test conditions would convince you, I'd be willing to try and perform the test just to see if I know enough about using a multimeter. :oops:

I am not claiming or disclaiming but I am not satisfied with the outcome so far...... and don't insult my intelligence and tell me that this proves or the others disprove... because right now i am leaning towards the disprove... because I am not comfortable in making the purchase...

Fine. It disproves whatever it is you want proven. Don't buy an Xhaler because you aren't absolutely certain beyond any shadow of doubt that it has a selectable 5v and 6v setting despite the fact that you just watched a video showing the Xhaler running at both 5V and 6V.

I really don't mean to insult your intelligence, but if Drew had the technical wherewithal to fake that video, that would be proof that Drew's intelligence is UNDERrated or he is has supernatural powers. Suggesting that something is faking the results on the meter means that somebody was actually hiding in the background with some sort of voltage generator sending pre-determined readings to the multimeter timed PERFECTLY with when Drew is pressing the button on the Xhaler or closing the circuit across the setscrew with a metal dentist's tool.

I am nobody so you can ignore ... dismiss ... or misinterpret my misspelling filled post

but that's that.... I am no fanboy or hater I am just a cautious consumer that LOVES ECF but dislikes the turn of events of this current matter

I'm not a fanboy either--at least not yet, but I'm hoping that will change when my Xhaler arrives. I'm just trying to pass the time until I get to finally try high voltage vaping.

I have my concerns about the Xhaler too:

I'm not sure I'll like button placement.
I'm kinda scared that running at HV will be more throat hit than I'll like.
I have no idea if I'll like using a PV that isn't shaped like an analog.
I'm running on blind faith in the reviews from people I've never met that I will be satisfied with the build quality.
I've read a few things about using sandpaper to maintain the button and that could be a hassle I dislike.

I ordered an Xhaler in the midst of the video fiasco because I trust Drew's reputation over his critics. ...well, that and I liked the idea of getting one mod that would let me try multiple voltage settings and I liked that I wouldn't have to pay through the nose or wait for a month or more to get it.

So if you hold your mouth wrong it gives different voltages? If thats true it sounds like a design flaw to me. Holding tongue, er fingers. Hold your mouth wrong is an expression by the way, I'm not really suggesting the mouth has anything to do with it.

Its an analog switch (screw cap) with a digital output (5V or 6V).

I point to the flashlight example. Have you ever screwed the cap on a flashlight that is switched on? Notice how it flickers on and off as you screw it down because the pressure you place on the cap is enough to close the circuit? The same thing could very well be happening here.

The other possibility is that Drew is not turning the cap the way you think he is turning it.

The ONLY other explanation is that somehow the switch is operating in one manner at the start of the video, and another at the end. If I were more an expert in Ohm's law, I could tell you if that is even possible, but I sincerely doubt it so I'm pretty certain it is one of the other two possibilities.

landy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
whats that black thing in the lower left corner? connected to wires going to the load... and how come it can't be seen during the test?

That is just the black(NEG) probe from the meter. Which he has hook to the positive side of the circiut, hence the meter reading a negitive voltage.

But a better ? what is the black box that is sitting between his hand that flies of the table without him moving?? :confused: :confused:
drew1.png

And another observation, I cant tell if the load line going off the table is continuous, its hard to tell, look for yourself.

drew.png

Better yet, run some tests when you get yours and post the video. You'd be the first customer to do so, AFAIK. :)

I offered to try that before Drew posted his video. I'm still willing to try just to see if I know enough about using a multimeter to conduct a proper test. I've got a few years of experience in QA and was even a "Platform Validation Engineer" for Intel at one point, but I was generally successful at avoiding the electrical testing--I'm likely to electrocute myself and I don't have much patience for hardware most of the time anyway. :lol:

I still haven't been able to get audio, but here's my notes:

:37 fuzzy but meter appears to show 5.59?
:40 appears to turn counter clockwise
:43 meter reads 5.78
:46 appears to turn clockwise
:48 meter reads 5.42
:49 meter reads 6.65
:51 half turn counter?
:55 meter reads 5.51
:56 turns clockwise
:57 appears to press on it
:58 turns counter
1:01 meter reads 6.65
1:04 turns clockwise
1:06 meter reads 5.38

These first few attempts are difficult to determine exactly which way he is turning because the nature of web video makes it a bit jumpy and in most cases he only turns for a second or two.

I admit these results are somewhat inconsistent but since I was not actually there I cannot state for certain at which points the cap was screwed tight and where it was not. I do note that at :55 the meter is showing 5V (which we would presume means the cap is on tight) but after turned counterclockwise at :58 it shows 6V at 1:01, a clockwise tightening at 1:04 gives a 5V reading next.

1:12 removes cap
1:14 adjusts setscrew
1:19 replaces cap (turning clockwise)
1:25 meter reads 6.67
1:27 turns counter
1:29 meter reads 6.65
1:30 turns clockwise until it appears it will not turn further
1:32 meter reads 6.65
1:34 turns counter
1:35 meter reads 6.65

This portion is especially interesting to me as he has reproduced the results of the 7.4V test. By doing whatever he did to the setscrew, the Xhaler puts out 6V no matter which way he turns the cap.

1:38 unscrews counterclockwise and removes cap
1:42 readjusts setscrew (meter shows activity)
1:47 holds dental pick across base, meter shows 6.65

This part is fascinating and quite telling: After he readjusts the setscrew so that it makes contact with the dentists pick and the setscrew, the circuit is closed (without pushing the button) and running 6V, without the bottom cap even attached.

1:54 replaces cap clockwise
2:00 meter shows 5.46
2:02 turns counter
2:05 meter shows 6.65
2:07 turns clockwise
2:10 meter shows 5.26
2:11 turns counter
2:13 meter shows 6.65
2:15 turns clockwise
2:17 meter shows 5.42
2:19 turns counter
2:20 meter shows 6.65

And this final section is the smoking gun as far as I can tell. It seems very clear to me that after he tightens the cap with a clockwise turn, the voltage drops to 5V, but if it is loosened by turning counterclockwise, 6V operation is resumed.

Up to the one minute mark it is somewhat confusing, but it just kind of looks like he forgets which direction to turn next or he might be loosening it with a counterclockwise turn, but not so much as to break contact with the setscrew...I don't know for certain, but I think Occam's Razor should win the day: What are you going to believe, some inconsistent results prior to being adjusted and then working exactly as advertised that could be explained by any number of testing errors or simply the fact that we aren't seeing it correctly, or do you think that somehow Ohm's law went into reverse for a few seconds only to return to normal after Drew fixes it?

JeannieB360

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2009
Central New Jersey, USA
Its not a stupid detail. And the fact that the video was removed rather quickly fuels the fire. An unbiased party needs to prove or disprove this once and for all, and then we can go about whatever it is we all do.
The thread with the video in the Nhalers forum has been deleted, but at least one person posted the video in Dea's thread in the Reviews forum, so you can still see the video.

The forum moderators have locked Dea's thread but you can still VIEW it. Drew chose to delete the thread. Amen to that - nothing further was being gained by having either thread open.

I have both an Nhaler and a Chuck. So far I haven't been able to tell a difference on the Nhaler when I have the cap tight or loose, and I posted a question in the thread in Nhaler asking if someone could post pictures or a video looking inside the tube and pointing out where that set screw is - I can't see it, and I thought I heard Drew say it can be adjusted and that possibly it HAD been adjusted in Raven's video so that the cap can't touch it. So I also asked how it can be adjusted. That question is gone now, since Drew deleted the thread. But I invite people to post pictures/videos here in answer to my question.

Drew himself PM'd me and gave me his phone number so I can call and ask him questions, and I will do so. I haven't called yet because I removed the end cap to look into my Xhaler and it's disappeared somewhere in the darkness beneath my desk - I'm going to try again to find it before I call Drew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread