Nic Base Storage: Freezer vs. Room Temp Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Power

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
Thank you David

My only concern was if because of the time that has passed since 2017, then when i unfreeze it will have any issues. And if the one that i use has any issues because of the time that has passed.

As i have enough stock since the TPD regulations.
I think I am the one who posted the original message with the Carolina Xtract recommendation. Sorry I have started so much trouble. IMO and based on my experience I don’t notice any difference between keeping nicotine in the freezer or in the refrigerator. I have done both and I notice no difference in quality between the two. IMO what probably damages the nicotine is high temperature and light. I agree that if you are moving, getting a cheap styrofoam cooler and some ice is all you need. Keep it out of sun light and you should be all set. Sorry if my original not caused trouble. Thanks.

Reactions: deckar01

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I've been keeping mine in the freezer for long time storage. My wife would kick my .... if I put 11.5 liters in the refrigerator. I bought a small freezer just for nic and snus. I purposely put two 250ml into clear bottles in the freezer so I can see how it looks over time. So far they are clear as water in the freezer after a little over two years.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 1, 2013
    Springfield, MO
    Thank you David

My only concern was if because of the time that has passed since 2017, then when i unfreeze it will have any issues. And if the one that i use has any issues because of the time that has passed.

As i have enough stock since the TPD regulations.

I am currently working with 100mg PG base from 2016. It is clear and titration shows the nicotine content has not deteriorated. When I got it in 2016 I parsed it into 125ml blue glass with poly seal lids and pulled my last bottle of that batch out of the nic freezer last week to dilute down. All of what I dilute goes in the nic fridge except for a couple weeks worth that is stored in a filing cabinet for daily use. After that batch is gone I go to my long term nic which is at much higher concentration.

BTW, unless you have some industrial freezer that goes to a much lower temp that -5F like mine it doesn't "freeze", just gets to a light syrup like consistency.

Max Power

ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2009
    I've been keeping mine in the freezer for long time storage. My wife would kick my .... if I put 11.5 liters in the refrigerator. I bought a small freezer just for nic and snus. I purposely put two 250ml into clear bottles in the freezer so I can see how it looks over time. So far they are clear as water in the freezer after a little over two years.
    They do make small refrigerators as well as small freezers ;)

Reactions: deckar01

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    They do make small refrigerators as well as small freezers ;)

Really?:D I actually have a mini fridge in my basement not being used that we bought for the youngest daughter when she went to college.

Reactions: BillW50

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    All kidding aside, for those who are going to store nic concentrate for the long term, storage at freezer temperatures is optimal. Freezing temperatures reduce chemical activity, slowing degradation. We don't want anybody who is beginning to stock up nic looking for answers to be mislead.

deckar01

Apr 6, 2022
    You are all great than you so much for your response!
    As i have stock enough nic bases from 2016-2017 to the refrigerator.

I think that when i need nic the preferable option is to make from 10o ml to 20 so as to be manageable and stored to a cool temperature and in dark place as we do many years now.

Thanks!

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    I finally had to open up a "new" older liter of RTS 100mg, PG nic from 2017. I found this in the back of the freezer, still in it's original brown plastic bottle. Happy to find out it's clear and colorless and smells fine. Mixed at 9 and 12mg with light flavoring, it tastes fine. The unused portion is now happy in glass.:)

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I finally had to open up a "new" older liter of RTS 100mg, PG nic from 2017. I found this in the back of the freezer, still in it's original brown plastic bottle. Happy to find out it's clear and colorless and smells fine. Mixed at 9 and 12mg with light flavoring, it tastes fine. The unused portion is now happy in glass.:)

That's great to hear. Especially since it was stored in plastic.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal

I have two 250 ml bottles from 2015 that I need to get to, but I've been avoiding them. Your post gave me courage. :lol: But mine are NN armor, in glass, vacuum sealed, so there's hope.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I have two 250 ml bottles from 2015 that I need to get to, but I've been avoiding them. Your post gave me courage. :lol: But mine are NN armor, in glass, vacuum sealed, so there's hope.
    Assuming they've been in a freezer, I'm completely confident they'll be fine. I haven't mixed anything this year (I'm actually getting close to needing to), but last time I did (08/21) I was still using NN Armor from sometime in 2014 and it was "like new".

I'm pretty persnickety about my nic too, since I vape unflavored more often than not, and when I do use flavoring, it's a very small amount.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I will bet you a million dollars that it's fine. (A caveat: I will not be able to pay up if I lose.)

:lol:
    Assuming they've been in a freezer, I'm completely confident they'll be fine.

In the freezer, still wrapped in the original bubble wrap. Those my last two vacuum sealed bottles--the rest is argon sealed.

Do I need to shake the bottle before I stick my luer-slip syringe in? A bit worried about possible hot spots after all those years.

Reactions: Tor R

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Do I need to shake the bottle before I stick my luer-slip syringe in? A bit worried about possible hot spots after all those years.
    I suppose I would if I were doing things that way.

I don't though. All my nic is in 120ml bottles and I mix down an entire bottle of it to vaping strength (currently 12 mg/ml for me) at once. Then I re-bottle that liter into eight 120s and all but one of those go back in the freezer.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I suppose I would if I were doing things that way.

Yeah. Those two are my last (and only) 250 ml bottles. Everything else is in 125 ml bottles and I do it the same way as you do. I never even bought a 1 liter bottle because I was afraid of handling such quantities.

OK, I'll shake. I take it I don't need to even partially defrost it before shaking, correct? It's not frozen solid anyway.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Yeah. Those two are my last (and only) 250 ml bottles. Everything else is in 125 ml bottles and I do it the same way as you do. I never even bought a 1 liter bottle because I was afraid of handling such quantities.

OK, I'll shake. I take it I don't need to even partially defrost it before shaking, correct? It's not frozen solid anyway.
    I assume it's PG? Even PG gets kinda thick at freezer temps. I think what I would do with that nic is let the 250 come to room temp, shake it real well, then get rid of the silly vacuum seal, put half of it in a 125, and put that 125 back in the freezer. Then take the remaining 125 and mix it down as usual.

Obviously you would use the 125 that went back in the freezer the next time you need some, leaving the sealed 250 until both halves of this 250 are gone.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I assume it's PG? Even PG gets kinda thick at freezer temps. I think what I would do with that nic is let the 250 come to room temp, shake it real well, then get rid of the silly vacuum seal, put half of it in a 125, and put that 125 back in the freezer. Then take the remaining 125 and mix it down as usual.

It's a 70 PG blend. I used to order the mix I liked to vape to make things simple. I think I'll just turn the bottle upside down as per NN's instructions and see how it goes. If it's a pain, I'll remove the seal from the other bottle (if I can manage) and follow your advice. Thanks, Rossum. :wub:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread