Nic Storage Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasLiza

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
I poured up a liter of nic today into six 4oz bottles. I ran out of 4 oz bottles and put the remaining in this 8oz bottle. If all goes as planned, I'll use other previously decanted nic first and this from today won't be opened for a decade or more. As you can see from the photo, this 8oz bottle is only about 60% filled. Would I be better off by putting 2oz of this into a partially filled & frozen 4 oz bottle that I'll be using within a year, or just leave as is in this 8oz bottle and hope for the best when time comes?

In other words, is there too much air in this bottle for long term storage? I have all in a dedicated nic freezer.

Maybe I should just freeze as is and get two more 4 oz bottles but one of those will wind up with a lot of air space also.

nic.jpg

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    If you are concerned about not getting to that bottle for a decade and about the air, I'd empty 1 of the 6, 4 oz. bottles back into the 8 oz. to completely fill it back up, and divide the remaining amongst the 5 other 4 oz. bottles. Any left over that you're planning on using in the near future, put into a 2 oz. bottle if you can't get the last oz. or two to spread out evenly amongst the remaining 5 jars.

DallasLiza

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 4, 2013
    f you are concerned about not getting to that bottle for a decade and about the air, I'd empty 1 of the 6, 4 oz. bottles back into the 8 oz. to completely fill it back up, and divide the remaining amongst the 5 other 4 oz. bottles. Any left over that you're planning on using in the near future, put into a 2 oz. bottle if you can't get the last oz. or two to spread out evenly amongst the remaining 5 jars.
    That's a good idea except the 4 oz bottles are full up to the neck with just a little space to allow for expansion when returning to room temperature. You've given me the idea to see if I have a partially filled 4 oz bottle from a freeze earlier this year. It's the same sauce from the same vendor. Thanks.

Reactions: Z-Lee

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    Thanks for the reply. I put the bottle in a ziplock & placed it all the way to the back on the bottom shelf. I have to defrost the freezer from time to time, but it'll likely be a long, long time before that bag is opened. :laugh:
    I recently had to make a batch. Just the process of taking frozen bags of meat and vegetables and hotpockets and stuff out so I could get to my nic, PG & VG, and then put all the food back in, was a big PITA this time around. I haven't made a batch in 9 or 10 months, and my patience is thinner now I guess..

Anyway, I put the nic back in the house freezer, and the PG & VG in the fridge. I put the nic in the freezer more because of the fridges' repeating on/off light bulb, not the temperature so much. I find some details too detailling..Besides, I really didn't want to go thru that deep freeze empty/fill round trip again..

To make a long story a little bit longer and maybe actually useful, that liter of nic in my freezer was just 'popped' a couple months ago. I bought it in 2018 for $40 during a Thanksgiving Day sale. So (to all that are taking notes :grr: ) there's a liter that's less about 300 mls in an amber bottle, which is labled and ziplocked, in my freezer. It'll be in whatever freezer I own for the the next 8 or 9 years, at least.

Train2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    I was going to say just what @UncleJunkle said: if concerned about the extra air-exposed surface area, just use this "out of order".
    I have Nic from like 4 different vendors stored - and rather than go strictly by age, next couple I open will be from vendors I never tried before - so I can find out sooner if a brand is really bad, lol.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I just store nic in the bottle it came in. The nic I'm using right now "expired" in 2014.

I had to laugh, when I first started buying nicotine, I obsessed. I was buying special bottles, moving from a liter bottle to much smaller bottles, probably introducing more Oxygen than I can imagine. Finally, I just wrapped the brown bottles it came in with bubble wrap, shoved it in the freezer and pull it out to mix then shove it back. I've done that for several years, been fine.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I poured up a liter of nic today into six 4oz bottles. I ran out of 4 oz bottles and put the remaining in this 8oz bottle. If all goes as planned, I'll use other previously decanted nic first and this from today won't be opened for a decade or more. As you can see from the photo, this 8oz bottle is only about 60% filled. Would I be better off by putting 2oz of this into a partially filled & frozen 4 oz bottle that I'll be using within a year, or just leave as is in this 8oz bottle and hope for the best when time comes?
    I'm probably too late to make a practical difference here, but what I would have done is to fill the 8-oz bottle, leaving a partially full 4-oz bottle. The partially full 4-oz bottle would then get used sooner than any of the full bottles.

In Many ways, the entire "there's air in the bottle" thing has be kinda Overblown. And has lead to a Lot of Unfounded Concern.
    You might be right, but I'm OCD about my nic. :laugh:

DallasLiza

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 4, 2013
    I'm probably too late to make a practical difference here, but what I would have done is to fill the 8-oz bottle, leaving a partially full 4-oz bottle. The partially full 4-oz bottle would then get used sooner than any of the full bottles.
    That's exactly what I finally did. I'm a little OCD about that nic too. After I pour, cap, silicone tape & put it in a ziplock, I have to look at it again JUST TO BE SURE. :rolleyes:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread