Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If its supposed to be a stimulant why does it help people relax?
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...vaccine-nicotine-addiction-2.html#post6568625

Vocalek said:
Nicotine has contradictory effects. It is considered a stimulant because it increases alertness. You know this is true if you have ever come close to going to sleep at the wheel and got a "second wind" after lighting up a cigarette. But the other effect of nicotine is that it relaxes the skeletal muscles, which gives a feeling of relief from stress.

Nicotine is the only known drug that gives both these benefits simultaneously.

kariM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Lethbridge, AB, CA
Well - I tried one of the nicotine inhalers a few years ago - when we had long flights to Paris. They were terrible and on the way home - I just toughed it out and didn't even use it.

Fast forward three years and I tried vaping to see if it would just help me reduce the amount of cigarettes I was smoking. Started with a cig like that was actually tasting better than my real cig. Found ECF and ordered my Twists, better juice and some clearomizers and just stopped smoking. Still amazed that I have actually quit a 46 year habit. Now if I had to use those nicorette inhalers - I know I would still be smoking :p

fishtaco

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
WA
They are not very good! Available over the counter in Australia for years.

The throat and lung hit is so intense that it can take your breath away literally!

The strongest insert nic capsuls are not for the faint hearted thats for sure, they give you a really bad upset stomach and put you on edge all day,they taste foul and work nothing like vaping does in my opinion,I have tried to quit smoking with them and it didnt help much,I know a few people who have been on them for a long time and they are like tweak from south park :) the information in them states the nicotine is absorbed through the mouth not the lungs.

Clovery

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
new jersey
I liked the Nicotrol inhaler. Before I discovered e-cigs, the inhaler was the only quitting tool that I had any success with. I would have to get a prescription from my doctor, and they were expensive, same as smoking a pack a day at $7/pack. They did have coupons on their website though. I didn't inhale it like a cigarette... I would take little puffs and let the nicotine absorb under my tongue. Trying to drag off one like a cig was largely unsatisfying. But with my method, I had the nic and the hand to mouth. The only thing missing was the "smoke". I managed to quit a few times for over a week, once for a couple of months. But it did take a load of willpower and I eventually fell back to the cigarettes.

When I got my ecig in May, it was of course, a million times better. I haven't had a cigarette in 8 months, and there is very little temptation, usually none at all. But I still keep the Nicotrol inhaler around. I have a pack of cartridges in my glove box in case of emergency, and if I was going on a long flight or somewhere else I couldn't vape, I would bring the inhaler. IMO it's the next best thing to vaping.

John Top

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2010
Amelia, OH
I used the inhaler until my doctor told me he didn't think it was a good idea for me to use it anymore, I think it was a bit over a year to a year and a half. The thing tasted like a mix of stale onions and soap, and felt a burning sensation in my mouth and throat worse than when smoking, which barely staunched the craving/habit of smoking. Only worked while I was working until I had to take it out of my mouth to do something, would forget where I put it, and then just ask for a smoke break.

Eventually, since I couldn't give up smoking, I went on to patches, gum, lozenges (sometimes at the same time.) I wouldn't recommend this to my enemy.

It seems to depend on the person. Mom picked up a cig look alike, vaped, and the cigs never got touched again. She eventually stepped up to a Volt X2 for more battery life and a bit more power, and has no intention of ever smoking again.

I thrashed a lot more, eventually going variable voltage with a Vision Spinner and much higher nicotine levels until I was satisfied. Even so, there was something missing. WTA liquids helped. Four months in I still get the occasional mild craving for a cig, but it's easy to brush aside and go on with my life. I also have no intention of ever smoking again.

Loveridden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
Schaumburg, IL
... Contains nicotine. Requires willpower.

NICORETTE® Inhaler – Stop smoking with NICORETTE® nicotine inhaler

I never decided to quit smoking, just wanted to find an alternative to the dangers, and found the e-cig.

After 3 hours of vaping I never looked back on them, they just automatically faded out of my life.

Was any willpower involved for you to give up cigarettes?

edit by classwife : removed the

LOL it looks like a tampon!! :p

I had some frustrations and almost gave up at one point but then gave it one more try and glad I did. It's easy sailing now and I LOVE it!!

MsMacgyver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
Illinois
I really wish I was one of those people that took right off to the e-cigs and never looked back..but I'm not...LOL
I have been vaping and smoking for about three years. I wanted to quit a 30 year..pack a day habit but just couldn't. I spent the new year in the hospital with a partially collapsed lung. I had gotten sick at the beginning of dec with sinus and it went down into my chest. I recovered from the bug but was left with a lung full of bad stuff. I woke up that morning and couldn't inflate my right lung. Now mind you even smoking as long as I did I could still breathe pretty well so not being able to walk ten steps without gasping for breath was kinda scary. Luckily I had a great lung doc that went in there and sucked my lung clean with a scope...( NOT a fun procedure!)...I considered myself lucky, no cancer..tests came back OK. There are certain things I just can't deal with and not being able to breathe is a huge deal for me. The lung doc told me I could keep smoking but I would be back with the same thing again only worse and more often.
I came home after three days with a nic patch. I walked in the door and there sits my ashtray with a half cig in it. I grabbed the analog, crushed it up and threw it in the trash...threw the ashtray in the trash. I never thought I would be able to quit but I wanted to so badly. I never thought of using the patches with the e-cig but its working for me. You have to be careful on your nic levels but its working. I still have days that I want to smoke. I go outside and light up an analog. After about three drags I realize just how bad these things taste...throw it away and brush my teeth to get rid of the awful taste...I always thought I loved the taste & smell of analogs but the truth is after smoking for so long I couldn't even taste or smell them...they really do stink!
I'm just beginning...20 days in but I will never take up smoking again. I have a plan to eventually withdraw from all nicotene.
I went from being able to breathe one day to having an inhaler and taking breathing treatments three times a day at home. I'm slowly recovering but I can tell you the experience was probably the best thing that could ever happen to me.
My point being if your like me and just can't give up the analogs the best advice I can give you is...Don't Give Up!
Keep trying because every time you use the e-cig is one time you don't smoke ...sooner or later you will win. Maybe like me it might take a bad experience, hopefully not but regardless when you get to that place...your e-cig will be there waiting for you. Mine was a Godsend when I walked in the door and I haven't set it down yet!

Blurgas

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2012

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Interesting. I remember hearing of something similar for addictions of more illicit substances.
Not sure how available a nicotine vaccine will be tho. While I'm sure health insurance companies would encourage people to get it, I can't help but wonder if they'd be willing to pay for it
I don't know if you read the whole thread, but you should.
As Orobas noted above, it is sort of horrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread