Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Compared with studies reporting the nicotine boost obtained after smoking 1 cigarette, this product’s nicotine delivery was similar.
That was the design objective for juul.

I've never understood why some folks want to vilify them for making a product that delivers nicotine in a manner similar to an actual cigarette.

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I've said this about 100 times now but I have a Juul, and I vape 6mg/ml e-liquid. I use my Juul once one of my coworkers leaves work (He's asked me not to while he's there) and that's it. If it really delivered that much more nicotine I'd be hitting it at home, in the car, and during my vape breaks. Fact is it leaves me wanting my regular mod and I think I get more nicotine off a regular mod.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    I've said this about 100 times now but I have a Juul, and I vape 6mg/ml e-liquid. I use my Juul once one of my coworkers leaves work (He's asked me not to while he's there) and that's it. If it really delivered that much more nicotine I'd be hitting it at home, in the car, and during my vape breaks. Fact is it leaves me wanting my regular mod and I think I get more nicotine off a regular mod.
    What do you consider a "regular" mod? MTL? DL? Sub ohm? Tootle puffer? Nic dilution %?

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    What do you consider a "regular" mod? MTL? DL? Sub ohm? Tootle puffer? Nic dilution %?

Pico with a top tank running 6mg/ml juice with a 0.5 ohm coil at 32W DL style. If I have both and am free to use both I only use the Pico. If I need to be stealth is only when I use the Juul.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I still can't get past 30 puffs of a Juul in 10 minutes. Just how long were these puffs? Because I think it matters.

I also want to know like, how many participants passed out.

Also yeah, you don't really make a 59 mg/ml setup thinking "I'd like to add a tinge of nicotine to this user's life."

It is being vilified because it WORKS @Rossum ! Come on now, you know this one.

Something so closely mimicking a cigarette people are willing to quit.

WE CANNOT HAVE THAT.

Anna

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    It is being vilified because it WORKS

No. Juul is vilified for cynically and brilliantly marketing their product to teens while the rest of the industry and we vapers were trying to convince the lawmakers that vaping is for addicted adult smokers. I have never seen/heard anyone criticizing Juul for making a product that works.

images
    images

images
    images

event_92.jpg

event_72-1200x721.jpg

wetclay

ECF Veteran
    Oct 4, 2010
    UAE
    It's probably not the Juul, but the saltnic at 59mg/ml that makes absorption that much faster.
    And besides, a satisfying vape is not all about nicotine. Taste, vapor and many other attributes contribute. While I like Juul and will use it in certain situations, it won't be my go to vape given the choice.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    After receiving a warning from the FDA about marketing to kids, they tried to change their image, sometime in September 2019, but it was too little and too late. :facepalm:

If they really wanted to help adult smokers, they would have have started with images like the ones below--I'm pretty sure that those role models would be much less appealing to teens. :lol:

105958881-1560198307812juul.jpg

D_Ps9yOU4AAd5y-.jpg

Last edited:

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
    May 9, 2015
    It is actually old news, and we've read studies on nicotine absorption before. Yes to both above. Juul did two things well, or horrendous, depending on your point of view. #1 worked with a lab to create the first nicotine salts that deliver more nicotine faster like a cigarette, and #2 lots of marketing. As for #1, well there are so many choices of refillable pod systems now, and nicotine salts that are cheaper, I really don't know what the remaining appeal is of Juul other then maybe #2. It's a name people have heard, it's hip, etc.

Unfortunately, come May 2020, Juul may remain one of the few e-cig options left on the market, but that's for a whole other reason discussed in length under the FDA deeming regulations threads.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    there are so many choices of refillable pod systems now, and nicotine salts that are cheaper, I really don't know what the remaining appeal is of Juul
    It's considerably cheaper to roll or stuff your own cigarettes too, but relatively few people do so. Instead, they go to the local c-store and buy Marlboro, Camel, Newport, or whatever their preferred brand is.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I have never seen/heard anyone criticizing Juul for making a product that works.

I believe that is the pretend reason yes. Of course, I guess one could say it works for teens. That is definitely bad news.

IDK. They didn't do themselves any favors with the marketing that is for sure.

Aans

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    After receiving a warning from the FDA about marketing to kids, they tried to change their image, sometime in September 2019, but it was too little and too late. :facepalm:

If they really wanted to help adult smokers, they would have have started with images like the ones below--I'm pretty sure that those role models would be much less appealing to teens. :lol:

105958881-1560198307812juul.jpg

D_Ps9yOU4AAd5y-.jpg

D_Ps9yOU4AAd5y-.jpg

I always see these stories and think there's always so much more they are not telling us. You're probably thinking that's Roy's wife, it's not. It's his mother.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Juul and the other Big Tobacco vapes (Blu and Vuse) ensured that their vapes be available in "easy for children to obtain" locations such as gas stations, convenience stores, and box stores like Walmart...establishments which had notoriously poor age verification systems. Vape shops did not take this route and always used a strong age verification system with photo ID.

Early Juul ads focused mostly on young adults using their products. Most smokers looking to quit smoking are more likely to be middle aged or older "baby boomers", so they really did go after an unlikely age bracket to market to.

The higher nic salts made it a desirable product for children to abuse for a "nicotine high". Juul contends the high nic salts was intended for 2 - 3 pack per day smokers. Juul is on record for going into schools saying that Juuls were totally safe to use. Vape shops on the other hand, abided by the proposed FDA Deeming rules mandating that vendors could not say that or call it a smoking cessation tool.

It seems to me that Juul knowingly was setting their product up to addict another generation of users. Just mine and many other's opinion. Yet the entire vaping industry gets blamed by the bad actors.

What You Need to Know About JUUL - Douglas & London

Last edited:

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    First published study showing that Juul can deliver a higher and faster boost in blood nicotine than most other e-cigarettes and similar to a cigarette. Nicotine Absorption Profile Among Pod-Based Electronic Nicotine Delivery System Users Any thoughts?
    I'm fairly certain that that was the design. Now if they said that one puff off of a jull is equivalent to a carton of cigarettes then yeah that would be concerning but I wonder just in general why ppl are so concerned when something is equivalent to a cigarette but they're not concerned about the cigarette. I was blown away when I found out how much nicotine is in a cigarette on average compared to the nicotine that I use in a day vaping. I was using so much nicotine when I was on cigarettes that it was crazy and I didn't even know it

jfjardine02

ECF Veteran
    Nov 15, 2011
    Hershey
    No. Juul is vilified for cynically and brilliantly marketing their product to teens while the rest of the industry and we vapers were trying to convince the lawmakers that vaping is for addicted adult smokers. I have never seen/heard anyone criticizing Juul for making a product that works.

images
    images

images
    images

event_92.jpg

event_72-1200x721.jpg

jfjardine02

ECF Veteran
    Nov 15, 2011
    Hershey
    Katya, was that post of the group with the skateboarder at the front paid for by Juul or one of their ad. agencies? They look 17-24 years old (but what do I know) but something about it does yell "kids". (maybe it was the skateboard?) There is no doubt the company seriously messed up in its early (and some not-so-early) marketing.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Juul and the other Big Tobacco vapes (Blu and Vuse) ensured that their vapes be available in "easy for children to obtain" locations such as gas stations, convenience stores, and box stores like Walmart...establishments which had notoriously poor age verification systems.
    So exactly the same places that cigarettes are available. If you're trying to sell an alternative product, doesn't it make sense to sell it right next to the product you're trying to compete with and displace?
    Early Juul ads focused mostly on young adults using their products. Most smokers looking to quit smoking are more likely to be middle aged or older "baby boomers", so they really did go after an unlikely age bracket to market to.
    So young adults should smoke for a decade or three before they switch to vaping?

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Katya, was that post of the group with the skateboarder at the front paid for by Juul or one of their ad. agencies? They look 17-24 years old (but what do I know) but something about it does yell "kids". (maybe it was the skateboard?) There is no doubt the company seriously messed up in its early (and some not-so-early) marketing.

According to this study from Stanford, it's a Juul ad. (page 29)

http://tobacco.stanford.edu/tobacco_main/publications/JUUL_Marketing_Stanford.pdf

BTW, Juul founders, Adam Bowen and James Monsees, are both Stanford grads. :)

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread