The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Nicotine Comparisons

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Cyrus Vap, May 20, 2012.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mhertz

mhertz Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 7, 2014
    Denmark
    A few days ago I got a new batch of nicselect, and I normally can always tell it's nicselect by just smelling the bottle, as it has a very faint "off" taste I call glue, in absence of words. This new batch was the first ever in two years which didn't smell like that, and I wouldn't be able to blind-sniff-identify it as nicselect anymore.

Imho, it was great before, very clean with just a hint of an off taste at times, and which wasen't a bad off-taste per-say, and zero tobacco, but now there's no off-taste and it reminds me of nicobrand alot, in that at 3mg then it doesn't have a taste, but just lessened sweetness of the VG and more mouth-feel.

I really hope this isn't a "one off" and not that I just got lucky, as I just ordered 2.5 liters from another cheaper nicselect vendor in UK, as the place I got the test-batch was more expensive for bigger quantities + the other place delivers in 1L amber glass bottles. Those 2.5L nicselect of just 72mg I paid with shipping the equalent of 240 USD - as I often said, this isn't cheap in the EU(though shipping wasen't cheap either), though could be much more expensive if going with other vendors...

Just a headsup :) (I just finished the last bit of a months worth of a 1 liter mix of chemnovatic a few days ago, and the change to nicselect is pretty big, and even the older nicselect batches is better imho, atleast at 3mg...)

• Like Like x 6
  2. mikepetro

mikepetro Vape Geek Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Just a bump to keep thread from getting locked.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 12
  3. mattiem

mattiem ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thank you for the bump Mike. I have been looking EVERYwhere for the information you posted in this thread about using citric acid. Sadly I couldn't even remember who was doing the tests. I thought I had saved all the mixing/using information but then couldn't find it. Now I have it all copied in a document so hopefully won't lose it again.

One comment you made though has me wondering. You said your CA mix was about the consistency of cold VG. I am sure I followed your recipe for mixing the CA with pg and mine turned out about the consistency of pg or maybe just a tiny bit thicker.

I made a mix of 25mg/ml nicotine with 1% CA and noticed it was much smoother than just nic alone. I normally vape 12mg/ml so was surprised that I was able to both vape and enjoy the 25mg. It sure cut down on the amount I needed to be satisfied.

Thank you for sharing your experiment with all of us.....

• Like Like x 9
  4. sketchness

sketchness Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 3, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes thanks @mikepetro . This thread was instrumental in causing me to have much more nicotine in my freezer than I had intended! And branching out and tasting other stuff.

• Like Like x 6
  5. mikepetro

Supporting member
    You all need to be thanking @Cyrus Vap as he is the one who started this thread 5 years ago. Been a lot of good folks who have traveled through ever since.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. mikepetro

Supporting member
    I mixed 100g of citric acid crystals with 100ml of PG, it was easily as thick as VG, in fact it took a magnetic stirrer and some heat to finally get it all dissolved.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. mikepetro

Supporting member
    I got the recipe from the Vermont Vapor site after they closed shop, only I used PG instead of Distilled water. They were very kind in posting many of their recipes and techniques after they closed. Formerly Vermont Vapor, Inc. - Recipes

Ingredients

Citric Acid Solution (06/2009)

1 g Citric Acid USP (anhydrous)
    1 ml Distilled Water

Heat water to above 120 deg. F., slowly add citric acid while stirring until all is dissolved and solution is clear (a very, very pale yellow).

• Like Like x 4
  8. mikepetro

Supporting member
    For those following the aldehyde thread, notice their recipe for 100% VG base.
    Thats 20% DW!

e-Liquid Base

0 mg/ml Unflavored Base (June, 2009)

4 ml Glycerol USP
    1 ml Distilled Water

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Katya

Katya ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    This thread needs to be stickied. Just sayin'.... :)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mattiem

mattiem ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

I mixed mine with pg too and like you it took a long while to get it all to dissolve. I don't have a magnetic stirrer so I had to do it the manual way. I set it in a cup of very hot water and just kept shaking it, rewarming the water as needed...rinse and repeat....bunches and bunches of times. I have been known to goof up a time or two but I am almost positive I followed your recipe for the amount of crystals to pg but I guess the consistency isn't that critical as long as it works and it does seem to do so.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Bump
    Bump

Bump

:)

• Like Like x 3
  12. ChelsB

ChelsB Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    Where do those of you that use CA buy it?

13. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    CA = Citric Acid?
    Grocery store. Or Amazon. It's commonly used in home canning of fruits.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. ChelsB

Supporting member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    Oops! I replied to the wrong thread. But thanks anyway for the info!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Katya

Katya ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    • Like Like x 1
  16. IDJoel

IDJoel Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Citric Acid

• Like Like x 2
  17. ChelsB

Supporting member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
  18. dansus

dansus Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2016
    London
    A UK wholesaler ordered some 7.2% nicotine salts from big Al for distro, it came labelled as nicotine benzoate 13%.

This is what i filtered out of 250ml with 500g SS mesh.

DH_Benzoate1.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  19. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Hard to tell how much it is without something to measure it against. Is it undissolved Citric acid?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Stoneface

Stoneface Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    New York
    @dansus said it was nicotine benzoate...I'm guessing benzoic acid was used to create the nicotine salts purchased. I just bought some from Nicotine River since they state that their salts are not processed with benzoic acid.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1