Nicotine Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
A few days ago I got a new batch of nicselect, and I normally can always tell it's nicselect by just smelling the bottle, as it has a very faint "off" taste I call glue, in absence of words. This new batch was the first ever in two years which didn't smell like that, and I wouldn't be able to blind-sniff-identify it as nicselect anymore.

Imho, it was great before, very clean with just a hint of an off taste at times, and which wasen't a bad off-taste per-say, and zero tobacco, but now there's no off-taste and it reminds me of nicobrand alot, in that at 3mg then it doesn't have a taste, but just lessened sweetness of the VG and more mouth-feel.

I really hope this isn't a "one off" and not that I just got lucky, as I just ordered 2.5 liters from another cheaper nicselect vendor in UK, as the place I got the test-batch was more expensive for bigger quantities + the other place delivers in 1L amber glass bottles. Those 2.5L nicselect of just 72mg I paid with shipping the equalent of 240 USD - as I often said, this isn't cheap in the EU(though shipping wasen't cheap either), though could be much more expensive if going with other vendors...

Just a headsup :) (I just finished the last bit of a months worth of a 1 liter mix of chemnovatic a few days ago, and the change to nicselect is pretty big, and even the older nicselect batches is better imho, atleast at 3mg...)

Last edited:

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Just a bump to keep thread from getting locked.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the bump Mike. I have been looking EVERYwhere for the information you posted in this thread about using citric acid. Sadly I couldn't even remember who was doing the tests. I thought I had saved all the mixing/using information but then couldn't find it. Now I have it all copied in a document so hopefully won't lose it again.

One comment you made though has me wondering. You said your CA mix was about the consistency of cold VG. I am sure I followed your recipe for mixing the CA with pg and mine turned out about the consistency of pg or maybe just a tiny bit thicker.

I made a mix of 25mg/ml nicotine with 1% CA and noticed it was much smoother than just nic alone. I normally vape 12mg/ml so was surprised that I was able to both vape and enjoy the 25mg. It sure cut down on the amount I needed to be satisfied.

Thank you for sharing your experiment with all of us.....

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
One comment you made though has me wondering. You said your CA mix was about the consistency of cold VG. I am sure I followed your recipe for mixing the CA with pg and mine turned out about the consistency of pg or maybe just a tiny bit thicker.

I mixed 100g of citric acid crystals with 100ml of PG, it was easily as thick as VG, in fact it took a magnetic stirrer and some heat to finally get it all dissolved.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I mixed 100g of citric acid crystals with 100ml of PG, it was easily as thick as VG, in fact it took a magnetic stirrer and some heat to finally get it all dissolved.
I got the recipe from the Vermont Vapor site after they closed shop, only I used PG instead of Distilled water. They were very kind in posting many of their recipes and techniques after they closed. Formerly Vermont Vapor, Inc. - Recipes

Ingredients

Citric Acid Solution (06/2009)

1 g Citric Acid USP (anhydrous)
1 ml Distilled Water

Heat water to above 120 deg. F., slowly add citric acid while stirring until all is dissolved and solution is clear (a very, very pale yellow).

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I mixed mine with pg too and like you it took a long while to get it all to dissolve. I don't have a magnetic stirrer so I had to do it the manual way. I set it in a cup of very hot water and just kept shaking it, rewarming the water as needed...rinse and repeat....bunches and bunches of times. I have been known to goof up a time or two but I am almost positive I followed your recipe for the amount of crystals to pg but I guess the consistency isn't that critical as long as it works and it does seem to do so.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Where do those of you that use CA buy it?
CA = Citric Acid?
Grocery store. Or Amazon. It's commonly used in home canning of fruits.

pACE3-14766460enh-z7.jpg

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
Hard to tell how much it is without something to measure it against. Is it undissolved Citric acid?
@dansus said it was nicotine benzoate...I'm guessing benzoic acid was used to create the nicotine salts purchased. I just bought some from Nicotine River since they state that their salts are not processed with benzoic acid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread