Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I would not have said this a few years ago. I never had anything that old, which would be from 2007/2008, and I was not vaping then. The oldest I had was from Fall of 2009, so about 7.5 years, Vermont Vapor but that is all vaped now as of this year. It never changed at all. Oldest ones I have now are 2011 Box Elder, 2012 EXC, and 2013 Wizard Lab (regular, Ice and Ultra). All in glass in freezer, and to my knowledge have not changed. Nor would I expect them to ever change: they are in glass and deep freeze (chest freezer). Essentially a chemical standstill. The Box Elder is 55 mg/mL VG-nic diluted from that landmark 272 mg/mL BE VG-nic sent to me to test, and which changed the world of vaping. It was already yellow-orange when I got it, and sat in LDPE and three freezer ziplocks in the freezer for years, until I diluted it (outside!) to 55 mg in glass. I cannot say if it changed as 272 mg in LDPE, but it probably did, being in LDPE. I don't care, since I actually enjoy some yellowed nics, and Box Elder was always one of my favorite "rough" nics, and this particular one, perhaps because of history and the impossibility of ever getting a nic like this again, is to me magnificent. Takes me right back to those heady days when quality control of DIY e-liquid had its first painful birth world wide. The market would not support this product now, even fresh, since virtually everyone wants an invisible nic.

Would absolutely love more of the Vermont Vapor 36 mg VG nic, but at $100 for 250 mL, I cannot rationalize the expenditure. But a great product, with aging bringing out maple/tobacco tones. Adam uses citric acid to lower the pH from about 10.4 to around 8-9, so this was actually the first salt solution that I was aware of (2009). But really expensive. He did this to lower the smell of working with the free-base nicotine he used, not to necessarily create a salt solution, although it does that.
bumpty bump bump @r77r7r :toast:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I wish I had been vaping around the time of the Box Elder days, but only started in 2014 so lost out on that chance. The best of what I consider a *rough* Nic nowadays is ECX, but if anyone knows of something with more TH, please tell me. ECX with FA Flash are my two main ingredients for TH, as everything else I have tried is just too smooth and tame.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
I wish I had been vaping around the time of the Box Elder days, but only started in 2014 so lost out on that chance. The best of what I consider a *rough* Nic nowadays is ECX, but if anyone knows of something with more TH, please tell me. ECX with FA Flash are my two main ingredients for TH, as everything else I have tried is just too smooth and tame.
I also like a good throat hit. I upped my nicotine from 20 mg to 30 mg and swapped out my usual KGD for Rayon. Really improved my TH and i use less juice.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.

Try this: Take a small clear bottle half full of 100mg/ml and leave it in a warm window with full sun for about three weeks. Remember to open it often to let in some fresh oxygen. That stuff should have a mule kick to it. I did this completely by accident and it was so strong that I had to throw it out.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I've had some of this around for a while but never got around to trying. What's a good starting %?
Thanks

I experimented with FA Flash all the way up to 3% in a 50/50 blend at 10mg/ml ECX Nic strength for my Unflavored, and worked down to 1.75% of Flash, where I have been at for close to 2 years now. I worked down because it was making me cough at any higher than 1.75%, but you may be different. Hope this helps.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Has anybody tried Heartland vapes Ultra Premium nicotine? I only vape quite high strength unflavored now and am wondering if getting a better quality nicotine will be worth the extra money. They also have there Nic select a bit cheaper as well as there regular even cheaper. No idea in the differences,i have never used Heartland. I also looked at wizard labs Amerinic but that is even more expensive. I guess i want a nice clean nicotine with a nice throat hit.
It has been a while since i ordered nicotine,i think my last was RTS and they are long gone.Thank you for any help in advance.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Has anybody tried Heartland vapes Ultra Premium nicotine? I only vape quite high strength unflavored now and am wondering if getting a better quality nicotine will be worth the extra money. They also have there Nic select a bit cheaper as well as there regular even cheaper. No idea in the differences,i have never used Heartland. I also looked at wizard labs Amerinic but that is even more expensive. I guess i want a nice clean nicotine with a nice throat hit.
It has been a while since i ordered nicotine,i think my last was RTS and they are long gone.Thank you for any help in advance.
I use Heartland's basic 100mg/mL nic as my go-to nic. It is clean, smooth, and everything I want from my nic. I have never felt the need to try either of their "more premium" offerings; so I'm afraid I can't offer a comparison.

Heartland is a great company to do business with. I recommend them confidently. I don't know if they offer samples smaller than 120mL; but it wouldn't hurt to shoot them an e-mail and ask. As accommodating as they have been it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

bsidb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
Leroy,NY
Having parked my nic with benzoic acid experiments for a while due to not liking the monged feeling i was getting, i was inspired to give it another go by a recent thread elsewhere. This is when i realised my calculations were way off, due to mixing by total volume, rather than by weight of acid to nicotine.

Thanks to @gt_1955 for pointing out that im an idiot and i should have been mixing 3:4 benzoic to nicotine by weight. After much patience and some more lessons on maths from gt, i managed to make a batch that vapes much better. Less mong, more hit.

This is my method now;

I have 7.2% nicotine, which is 7.2g per 100ml, and if i add 5.4g of benzoic to that, no matter how i cut the nic, the ratios will always be correct. One problems is i didnt want to heat the nic to dissolve the benzo.

To preserve the nic from heat, and get a batch of 100ml 36mg juice, i added 2.7g of benzo to 50ml of PG (or VG), heated it at 60c to dissolve, cooled it off in the fridge, then added 50ml of 7.2% nic to make 100ml at the correct ratio.

Gave it a good stir and 30mins or so to react at room temperature, and it was good to go. Obviously, you can sub some the PG for flavour ect. Using VG nic, its easier to get the right ratios at high nic levels.

Follow these wise words from gt and you cant go wrong. (Maybe.. lol)
Are you still getting along with the Benzoic acid at the ratio above? @dansus

dansus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2016
    London
    Are you still getting along with the Benzoic acid at the ratio above? @dansus
    Im still using up the nic benzoate from Alchem. Its 7.2% nic and 5.8% benzoic, the pH is around 4 and i mix it with 7.2% freebase to get it to a more reasonable pH 7.

I find mixing to pH rather than ratios easier and more relevant. Maybe start with 1:2 ratio and see how you get on. (ie 0.5g of benzoic to 1g of nic)

bsidb

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 10, 2012
    Leroy,NY
    Im still using up the nic benzoate from Alchem. Its 7.2% nic and 5.8% benzoic, the pH is around 4 and i mix it with 7.2% freebase to get it to a more reasonable pH 7.

I find mixing to pH rather than ratios easier and more relevant. Maybe start with 1:2 ratio and see how you get on. (ie 0.5g of benzoic to 1g of nic)
    That's what I will start with, thank you

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread