Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Nicotine (nic) is the ingredient in juice that provides a slight harshness or what is commonly referred to as throat hit, more nic = more throat hit. Sub-ohm vaping usually requires lower nic strength, too much nic and the vape can become overly harsh, irritating your throat and/or making you cough. How much nic is too much depends on the individual and the quality of the nic used in the juice. There are types of nic that are much smoother than others (less harsh) but since you're talking about retail juice you have no control over the type/quality of nic being used. If you normally vape 3mg, why the change to 6mg? What is your coil's resistance and how many watts do you fire it at? Do you inhale mouth to lung (MTL) or direct to lung (DTL)? To vape juice with a higher nic strength you could try using a higher resistance coil at lower power.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
When you go from 3mg to 6ml you are doubling the amount of nic intake. Of course your body is going to react. Even if you didn't cough or find it difficult to vape, I would bet you would have a headache until your body got used to the higher level.

I would only up my nic level if I wasn't getting enough nic currently to keep me off the cigarettes. Or I was having cravings that are associated with cigarette dependence.

:)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It really depends on your sensitivity to nicotine. With sub0hm vaping a jump from 3 to 6 is actually quite a lot.

So you can stay at 3, I guess your other option would be to raise your nicotine percentage using nic salts which decrease throat hit and are more easily tolerated at higher levels. They can also be absorbed more rapidly than freebase nicotine, so I'd be on the lookout for nicotine overload if you decide to do it (yawning, headaches, fatigue, tummy troubles, dizziness etc.)

I will say, I am also questioning why you would do it at all, if 3 mg is working for you. If you are looking to decrease the total amount of vaping and e-liquid you go through in a day, I'd be likely to suggest using a smaller, less powerful MTL vape at much lower wattage but with higher nicotine. You will still have a throat hit, you may cough, but it's probably safer than DOUBLING your nicotine in your current vape without reducing wattage and clouds.

I vape at 18 mg/ml using a MTL tank. There is no way on this EARTH that I would consider DOUBLING my nicotine and expect to have a pleasant time (in any fashion).

So while going from 3 to 6 may not seem like huge jump, since you are sub0hming, it actually IS a larger jump than you are expecting, and that means you will react to the change.

A more reasonable increase might be from 3 mg to 4 mg nicotine, if you are looking for more nic (although to me it kind of sounds like you don't need it, so I'm questioning why you are considering it. Your body is also telling you that you are going to high, by your reaction to 6 m.g. nic.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, you are using a coil you made yourself or bought, and that coil will have a "resistance." Your resistance is lower than 1.0 I think, which makes you a "sub0hm" vaper. Meaning, more clouds, more wattage, but less nicotine due to the amount you inhale per puff. People at your wattage and AT YOUR COIL'S resistance (which, if you don't know what it is, you should find out) MUST use less nicotine due to the AMOUNT of vapor they inhale.

No need for jealousy. I'm probably not getting "more" nicotine than you, at least NOT PER PUFF. You are likely vaporizing many more ML of liquid a day than I do, so I'd guess (GUESS) that the amount of nicotine we consume PER DAY may be fairly similar.

Also, I don't get the "jealousy" thing. Nicotine does have risks, if you are happy where you are, you aren't going to get some sort of "prize" for vaping at higher nicotine... UNLESS you try to use more nicotine than your body can handle, which would mean perhaps St. Peter may offer you a prize if you die from nicotine overload (it's pretty rare, and I think the only examples I can think of would be a guy who committed suicide by DRINKING eliquid and a kid who got into some), but the only prize you GET by increasing nicotine past what your body WANTS will be nicotine overload which is extremely unpleasant.

I'm going to suggest you familiarize yourself a bit more with vaping, generally (and leave your NICOTINE LEVEL ALONE) as you do.

I'm also going to suggest you stop approaching nicotine strength as some sort of competitive sport. The only "Win" you might get from approaching it that way might be increased risk of a heart attack or vascular problems.

Your body is telling you it is happy at 3 m.g. I would HIGHLY suggest listening to your body's wisdom, which is telling you, "I am totally happy at 3 m.g." My goal is to LOWER my nic, not raise it, as I continue vaping.

I have to say, I don't understand your attitude but I think some of it is simple ignorance. I'd suggest reading more about vaping and asking more questions before you try to do ANYTHING to your nicotine levels.

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I can't understand also why you get angry and said ignorance
Sorry to ask anything
If you want to experiment with higher nic out of curiosity then you will need to adjust your builds accordingly. You'll need to build for a higher ohm/resistance. Maybe shoot for a .8 build and lower watts.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If my tone came across as angry, my apologies. I simply don't understand the rationales you have for raising nicotine. I did already give you some ideas for raising it if you want to. It's more your motivations to raise it that I don't understand But, as I said before there are things you can do to raise it, but if your body is telling you 3 m..g. on that setup, I don't understand quite your desire to raise it and motivations to do so.

There can be risks with nicotine overload and I am concerned that you are trying to get near that state, that's all.

But again, my apologies and I will bow out of this thread.

Good luck,

Anna

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Thanks anna
But I'm not using ohm
I'm using RTA
Anyway I'm fine
But what bothers me why some people can do it, hehehehehe, I'm jealous maybe
See you said you vape 18 Nic, I couldn't tolerate 6 lol
ummm, Mr LoneWolf

I don't think any member here is angry at all. We are trying to educate you on the ins and outs of vaping and why one thing may work and another one doesn't.

First, pls understand that you are sub-ohming big time with that set up. Even the most experienced vapers can have trouble with a 4 quad coil under 0.2 ohm(which is the resistance of the atomizer). An RTA simply means it can be also be used as a rebuildable(R)tank(T)atomizer(A).

You probably need to get a better understand of vaping and what it entails. Feel free to ask any questions you like, how else are you going to learn?

Anna is using a system that for her keeps her off the smokes. She is also using considerably less power and resistance to do so. You may want to consider getting a different tank set up and lowering your power. You can still get plenty of clouds on those set ups as the density of clouds can be had with juice that has more vg in it.

Have a good day and vape on.

:)

mav_sd

Verified Member
Sep 16, 2013
Spring, TX
Focusing on the nicotine level, I would agree with most who have pitched in here... higher Nicotine than you are used to can catch you by surprise.

That said, lots of us sub-Ohm at 6mg without issue... myself included.

For me, the PG ratio is the part that will get me every time. If you're buying eliquid that has higher PG (Propylene Glycol - one of the base liquids, VG Vegetable Glycerin being the other) percentage than you are used to, that can also trigger coughing and harshness. It's an easy one to look into though, as most shops or vendors will be able to tell you what the VG/PG blend is. Take a look (or start looking for) things like 70/30, 80/20 or percentages on bottles to find out your PG percentage, it's usually the smaller number, and the smaller it is, the less PG in the blend. If you were rocking out with a max VG liquid, then switched to a 70/30 blend without knowing it, you could be feeling the cough from the PG as easily as from your upped Nicotine levels.

Good luck as you sort it out. We are indeed here to help, so please don't stop asking questions!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Most of us find the nicotine level that satisfies our desire not to smoke. The higher you go in nicotine, especially at sub ohm cloud producing levels, the more nic you'll consume. Subohming at high wattage delivers much more nic than vaping at lower wattage. The only reason to raise nicotine levels is to prevent nicotine withdrawal symptoms and keep yourself from wanting a cigarette. If you aren't craving a smoke you would be wise to stay at 3mg nic levels. It's enough to benefit from nic (yes, nic has positive cognitive benefits) and satisfy your need for nic, especially at your wattage levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread