Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
The idea is to reduce the nicotine amount with time, not to go up ;)

Whose idea? Where's it written in a vaping rule book of sorts...that everyone who vapes must have or follow the same idea/plan? That's only your personal idea, that definitely doesn't apply to many who vape now, and/or have been for years.

Some people do gradually reduce their nic content with the hopes of eventually vaping 0mg eliquids. Others may do the same with the intention of totally quitting vaping then. Still others have found "their happy spot" as far as their nic mg, and they have no intention at all of ever lowering it. Some, like me, used to vape a certain mg for a long period of time, and then find that their body needs more, so they raise it. Others find they have trouble staying off the smokes at a lower mg, so they raise theirs, so they don't go back to smoking.

With vaping, there IS no 1 method to vape, nor "best gear" to use, or nic mg in eliquids, and lots of other aspects related to vaping...that must be the same for everyone. That's part of what makes vaping work for so many of us, even though our preferences and needs vary greatly. :thumbs:

All of that doesn't mean that I agree that the OP going from 3mg to 6mg as a sub-ohm vaper is something I personally would do. But, he's an adult, so he's going to do what he chooses to do...whether it agrees with your own "idea" regarding nic mg...or not.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
The only reason to raise nicotine levels is to prevent nicotine withdrawal symptoms and keep yourself from wanting a cigarette.

I respectfully disagree with that statement. I raised mine, after quitting smoking and just vaping for 2 years...though I had absolutely no desire for a ciggy at all.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, sure the idea is to use less nic. Over time. After you have actually QUIT smoking.

You can have your nose all up in the air about nic levels if you desire, but if your nic level is too low, and you are still dual using, it MIGHT be wise to listen to those who have actually QUIT, and what was required to do so. There are MANY vapers, who have come before you, who are advising that it MAY be easier to stop dual use if your nicotine is HIGHER.

Getting to 0 nic is achievable, it tends to be MORE achievable, AFTER you've actually you know, quit.

Feel free to continue in any way you'd like however. With that said, if you are DUAL USING well, it doesn't much matter how much nic you use or don't use. You will get NONE of the long term benefits of being TOBACCO free (not nic free, and nic is actually one of the most HARMLESS components of tobacco. It's a mild stimulant, that's all).

I think the time to say, "Isn't the goal to reduce nic?" might be, you know, the question to ask AFTER you quit smoking, not before.

The bottom line is if you are not getting enough nic, you will be more likely to continue smoking. If you would think a moment, and go, "Oh gosh, all these successful vapers are advocating a verfy small raise," that we're not doing it to target you, but merely to point out that perhaps a higher nic level may help you halt dual use.

Nicotine is no demon, there are many benefits to it. And, I'm going to be harsh and point out that many studies have shown ZERO harm reduction with dual use. If you are still smoking, you will never enter the land of "harm reduction" in which your body can TRULY heal, for YEARS to come.

I don't quite know the reason for your "distaste" to up your nicotine. Most vapers increase, sometimes a fair amount, if they are still smoking.

My advice would be to "address" your nic level ONCE you've achieved a successful quit. You'd have to increase it a pretty insane amount, to the point that you are getting nic sick, for it to approach the harm of even ONE cigarette. And, no one is saying "Go out and get 50 mg/ml nic salts!" either, they're just recommending a gentle bump. Etc.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Many that go back to mtl raise their nic accordingly. Unusual stressers will see me adding some nic to one of my bottles.

That's a valuable point. SubOhmers generally need less nic just because of the volume of vape they create. MTL vapers generally need more, but I found that 3mg keeps me satisfied after years of vaping. 24mg was what got me off the cigs 8 years ago.

Recently, I mixed up some 6mg and 9mg to see if there was a difference. It wasn't much different except in TH. I'm a light TH guy, so I'm going back to 3mg, although I might want to keep some higher mix around.

I actually don't know how high I'd have to go to be able to vape two or three times an hour instead of chain vaping. 24mg was my starting point to get off smokes 8 years ago. That worked quite well, but my vape was in my hand or my pocket all the time. 24mg might knock my socks off these days.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
That's a valuable point. SubOhmers generally need less nic just because of the volume of vape they create. MTL vapers generally need more, but I found that 3mg keeps me satisfied after years of vaping. 24mg was what got me off the cigs 8 years ago.

Recently, I mixed up some 6mg and 9mg to see if there was a difference. It wasn't much difference except in TH. I'm not a TH guy, so I'm going back to 3mg, although I might want to keep some higher mix around.

I actually don't know how high I'd have to go to be able to vape once an hour instead of chain vaping. 24mg was my starting point to get off smokes 8 years ago. That worked quite well, but my vape was in my hand or my pocket all the time. 24mg might knock my socks off these days.
I started at 24mg as well, comfortable at 8mg now.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA

Recently, I mixed up some 6mg and 9mg to see if there was a difference. It wasn't much different except in TH. I'm a light TH guy, so I'm going back to 3mg, although I might want to keep some higher mix around.

I actually don't know how high I'd have to go to be able to vape two or three times an hour instead of chain vaping. 24mg was my starting point to get off smokes 8 years ago. That worked quite well, but my vape was in my hand or my pocket all the time. 24mg might knock my socks off these days.
I think I may be in the minority - I subohm with a .5 coil, airflow way open and am a mtl-er. I also started way high and am now at 3. I chain vape, too and, for me, I do not think it would make a difference if I was on high or low nic. I chain smoked and now I chain vape.

Although I describe myself as a chain vaper --I really am not all that bad. As the years have gone on and my nic levels have decreased, I can get involved in an activity and not think about it or even go to the store and purposefully leave my vape home and not freak out like I used to on analogs.

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I think I may be in the minority - I subohm with a .5 coil, airflow way open and am a mtl-er. I also started way high and am now at 3. I chain vape, too and, for me, I do not think it would make a difference if I was on high or low nic. I chain smoked and now I chain vape.

Although I describe myself as a chain vaper --I really am not all that bad. As the years have gone on and my nic levels have decreased, I can get involved in an activity and not think about it or even go to the store and purposefully leave my vape home and not freak out like I used to on analogs.

For me, I was pleasantly surprised to find I could go without vaping for long periods of time without twitching. I bring my vape everywhere, but I have found myself at my destination without having hit it once in the drive there.

I was a chain smoker in the car. I hate driving. And I thought that would be the last cigarette I could give up. It was actually the first.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm vaping 3mg and 6mg during the evenings and 12mg during the day. Instead of 2 Kayfun tanks a day I"m making a 12mg tank last until after supper and then switching to 3mg and 6mg at night. Most days I only finish half the 12mg tank in a day and I have half the low nic tank left when I go to bed. I've effectively cut juice volume in half, but probably getting at least as much nic in a day.

I've vaped two tanks of 3mg a day for years. I'm probably getting the same nic, but vaping smaller volumes of juice these days.

A few hits on 12mg and I can feel the light nic buzz a little bit. I may mix up some 18mg just to see the difference. The brain is better on nic. Throat hit is definitely higher in the 12mg level. 18mg may be more TH than I want. I don't know how I was able to vape 24mg when I tapered down and quit smoking in 2010-2011.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
If your body wants a certain amount of nic per day or per hour, you might find yourself vaping less often if you simply increase the nic level in your juice without changing anything else. But a doubling of nic level, such as the OP's jump from 3 to 6 might be be too big a change all at once.

@LoneWolf27659 have you considered mixing some 3mg with some 6mg and trying an intermediate level?

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
I was able to vape 6mg juice in a big baby beast at .15 ohms with no real problems, but I had to lower my wattage to around 28 - 35 watts to keep the PG/nic from ripping my lungs out though. I ended up going back to 3mg because I chain vape fairly often and I would end up sick from nicotine and still want to vape. It really depends on what you want. If you want to vape at high wattage and get gigantic clouds 6mg likely isnt going to work out too well. If you just want a quick nic fix it could be the way to go.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Whose idea, just out of kuriosity? (I must have missed that one in the guide book. ;) )

Certainly not mine. :)

That's a good point, and I'm not sure where I got that idea from. I guess I'd like to decrease at some point, but I'm not sure how far, etc. LOL.

Anna

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
That's a good point, and I'm not sure where I got that idea from. I guess I'd like to decrease at some point, but I'm not sure how far, etc. LOL.

Anna

And to ours, our own, eh? If it feels good to you to decrease the nic, then yaaay. Likewise, if it feels good to increase it, then also YAAAY.

I just don't believe there are any right/wrong answers when it comes to self-titrating. Our body tells us clearly what it wants and needs. The massive queue that's formed to decrease nic strengths makes me think that there are a lot of people who think nic is still the satanic compound that we were always told it was. On the other hand, I most assuredly understand that there are those who wish to eliminate yet one more 'vice'.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If your body wants a certain amount of nic per day or per hour, you might find yourself vaping less often if you simply increase the nic level in your juice without changing anything else. But a doubling of nic level, such as the OP's jump from 3 to 6 might be be too big a change all at once.

@LoneWolf27659 have you considered mixing some 3mg with some 6mg and trying an intermediate level?

For some people a big nic jump may be premature. I recently started vaping 12mg during the day and 3mg and 6mg at night (my regular strength has been 3mg for years). The only thing that happened with the 12mg was that I vape lots less frequently when vaping 12mg. Instead of two tanks a day at 3mg I'm vaping less than a tank all day at 12mg. It's more like half a 4.5ml tank from early morning until after supper.

It's surprising how higher nic satisfies and slows vaping volume.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
On the other hand, I most assuredly understand that there are those who wish to eliminate yet one more 'vice'.

I haven't a particle of confidence in a man who has no redeeming petty vices.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
For some people a big nic jump may be premature. I recently started vaping 12mg during the day and 3mg and 6mg at night (my regular strength has been 3mg for years). The only thing that happened with the 12mg was that I vape lots less frequently when vaping 12mg. Instead of two tanks a day at 3mg I'm vaping less than a tank all day at 12mg. It's more like half a 4.5ml tank from early morning until after supper.

It's surprising how higher nic satisfies and slows vaping volume.
I’m thinking of doing the same. I went down to 10mg and now I’m going through more juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread