No Taste :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
...I define good quality flavors with the depth and strength of their taste and ability to mix well with base.
Except for depth, all may be good. Sometimes one has notes that another lacks or something minor missing to make a full depth of taste. Sometimes a single flavoring can do everything, but I find that to be rare, very rare, no matter how well the flavorings are thought of by others.

How long do you keep your trial juice to rest/steep (how) until you try it . I am talking about your 5/10ml
As long as it takes me to shake the bottle and maybe a few seconds after that to unscrew the cap and get it on my test dripper. If it is not perfect, I set it aside to see if steeping will do anything. If I don't know what it tastes like right after mixing, I am starting blind. Blinding yourself to any aspect of flavor is just silly and may lead to a huge waste of time and effort that could very easily been avoided.

Can I get the recommended % per flavor for TFA somewhere?
Sure, there is a very long thread on here about the subject. Just remember that a % on here is someone else's idea of what is right for the notes they can taste and/or the notes they want to taste. Useful, and that's all I'd use it for, is an idea of where the range might be. My recipes range from 0.35% to 35% and the whole range inbetween. Somewhere in that range, most any flavoring worth a crap will work. (Note that is total flavoring, so single flavoring content will be less as I have only 2 recipes that use a single flavoring.)

and last but not least: I usually create single flavors each in its own bottle and leave them to steep.. Afterwards, I try them each on its own and afterwards I decide on which flavors I want to mix together. But here is the trick, when I mix flavors I just do it right through filling a bit of each directly into the tank.. is that doable or is it preferable to mix them together from the beginning and leave them steep and mix for few days?
I always use a dripper, so I have no experience with mixing in a tank. I'm all about flavor. Tanks are better than they were, but I have still not found one that is as good as a dripper for getting everything about the flavor to my sense of taste. If it works for you, do it. If it doesn't, try something different. (Those two sentences are applicable to everything mixing and vaping related.)

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I was thinking the same thing even before I got to Hoosier's response. This is a guy who has been at it a while and one of the most respected people on ECF.

As far as Steeping how would you know what the end result is if you don't know what your starting with. So Taste your fresh mix then steep. There's no sense in steeping if you don't establish a baseline. Further more if it taste good right off the bat there's no hard and fast rule that you need to steep. Just vape away it will only get better with age.

Percentages are only a guide to what taste good to you "Some like it hot some like it cold" "Some like it mild some like it spicy" "Some like it sweet some like it not so sweet". So the key to figuring out percentages is start with the minimum amount and work up letting your taste buds be your guide.

I've never understood the popularity of mixing in a tank. I would think filling a tank with base then adding a drop here and a drop there is more of a pain then anything else and not very accurate. A nice 10ml vile and a dripper works far better and is much easier because you know exactly how much material your using and by writing everything that you do down your reassured that you will be able to reproduce the mix every time.

Lastly mixing is not rocket science if you can cook you can mix although I've know some bad cooks in my time, My wife for one:). It's very similure and the only thing that's a MUST is common sense. Oh I do most of the cooking around my house:)

Last edited:

oneharleyrocker

Sep 12, 2015
I was thinking the same thing even before I got to Hoosier's response. This is a guy who has been at it a while and one of the most respected people on ECF.

As far as Steeping how would you know what the end result is if you don't know what your starting with. So Taste your fresh mix then steep. There's no sense in steeping if you don't establish a baseline. Further more if it taste good right off the bat there's no hard and fast rule that you need to steep. Just vape away it will only get better with age.

Percentages are only a guide to what taste good to you "Some like it hot some like it cold" "Some like it mild some like it spicy" "Some like it sweet some like it not so sweet". So the key to figuring out percentages is start with the minimum amount and work up letting your taste buds be your guide.

I've never understood the popularity of mixing in a tank. I would think filling a tank with base then adding a drop here and a drop there is more of a pain then anything else and not very accurate. A nice 10ml vile and a dripper works far better and is much easier because you know exactly how much material your using and by writing everything that you do down your reassured that you will be able to reproduce the mix every time.

Lastly mixing is not rocket science if you can cook you can mix although I've know some bad cooks in my time, My wife for one:). It's very similure and the only thing that's a MUST is common sense. Oh I do most of the cooking around my house:)

Thanks Dan! Hoosier definitely knows what he is talking about.. will try to get a couple of good recipes out of him :)
I think you understood the part I wrote about mixing in the tank. What I meant with it, is that I mix (already mixed single flavors) Single juices together in the tank and not the base/flavor/nicotine .

Reactions: Dixie1954

oneharleyrocker

Sep 12, 2015
I always use a dripper, so I have no experience with mixing in a tank. I'm all about flavor. Tanks are better than they were, but I have still not found one that is as good as a dripper for getting everything about the flavor to my sense of taste. If it works for you, do it. If it doesn't, try something different. (Those two sentences are applicable to everything mixing and vaping related.)
I think I haven't explained correctly what I meant with mixing in the tank. What I meant with it, is that I mix (already mixed single flavors) Single juices together in the tank and not the base/flavor/nicotine . As I have earlier mentioned, I do no't mix multiple flavors, but rather create single flavor juices and try to mix those single juices (different flavors from different single bottles) in the tank.
Would the juices blend if i use this method experimenting multi flavors in smaller bottles? Considering that I will have i.e. 100ml coconut bottle, 100ml Vanilla bottle, 100ml Strawberry and then fill in a 30ml bottle with 10ml of each ?

oneharleyrocker

Sep 12, 2015
It's typical to mix single flavoring liquids together in another bottle. Makes determining the ratio for each fairly straightforward. Never seen an equal amount of each single flavoring actually result in equal strength of each in the final, but it's not a bad way to start the experiment.
i believe the ratio shouldn't be an issue if you are working with rounded numbers. Lets stay I am making a 10ml juice bottle and want it to be 50% tobacco 20%Vanilla 20%Lime & 10%Hazelnut, that could translate into 5ml tobacco, 2ml vanilla, 2ml lime, 1ml hazelnut..
which leads to the next question, some flavors are used as main while others just as accents.. any list of those somewhere ?

Reactions: Dixie1954

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Only the list your imagination creates.

Bacon is a great main and an accent. So are any number of flavors.

And for ratios, I was speaking about taste. (it's all about the flavor for me, so I come from that viewpoint.) Ratios to percentages to volume should be straightforward for a mixer and if it isn't, I'm probably not in the conversation. So having 80% of the total flavoring being blueberry may mean it's 10% of the flavor experience. All depends on how the flavors react to one another.

oneharleyrocker

Sep 12, 2015
Only the list your imagination creates.

Bacon is a great main and an accent. So are any number of flavors.

And for ratios, I was speaking about taste. (it's all about the flavor for me, so I come from that viewpoint.) Ratios to percentages to volume should be straightforward for a mixer and if it isn't, I'm probably not in the conversation. So having 80% of the total flavoring being blueberry may mean it's 10% of the flavor experience. All depends on how the flavors react to one another.
Thought so.. Cheers!
Got any good recipe for a mix of any of the followings?:
Key Lime - French Vanilla - Coconut - Turkish - Cheesecake - Strawberry Cream - Hazelnut - Caramel - Acai - Banana Nut - bubble gum - creme de menthe - Gold Ducat - Calipitter Chow - Cinnamon Danish Swirl - Pomegranate - Menthol - Oak Wood - ... Damn, I got a lot of flavors :))

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Where would you go with those flavorings?

Try something completely silly and something that seems normal. You tell me which is a better combo.

And what that lime like a hawk. It's a slippery bigger that doesn't respect boundaries. It has to be beaten into submission multiple times and then it's just wildly spastic that's wonderful when it likes to be so.

(You don't want my recipes. There is no discovery and amazement down that path.)

oneharleyrocker

Sep 12, 2015
Where would you go with those flavorings?

Try something completely silly and something that seems normal. You tell me which is a better combo.

And what that lime like a hawk. It's a slippery bigger that doesn't respect boundaries. It has to be beaten into submission multiple times and then it's just wildly spastic that's wonderful when it likes to be so.

(You don't want my recipes. There is no discovery and amazement down that path.)
Here is one recipe of mine which I am trying to perfect. 55% Turkish or RY4 Double, 30%Hazelnut, 4 drops of Menthol, 10%Caramel and 5%Vanilla

Reactions: Hoosier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread