Status
Not open for further replies.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I always thought of nic as a drug personally, but Seems like alot of things could fall into that category. Is sugar a drug? How about chocolate? Both fit into that definition. I think even the other substances we vape are drugs .

English, unlike other languages, is one that grows as people use it. Unlike in French, there is no authoritative Academy of the English language that determines what is and what isn't.

You will find many valid definitions, validated by their own existence.

On wikipedia the definition is a bit more robust and excludes sugars:

"A drug is any substance (other than food that provides nutritional support) that, when inhaled, injected, smoked, consumed, absorbed via a patch on the skin, or dissolved under the tongue causes a temporary physiological (and often psychological) change in the body.[2][3]"

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
This is a dog. His name is Opioid.
how-scared-should-i-be-of-pit-bulls-107-1447875736.jpg

This is a dog. His name is Nicotine.
ff42741ead52e848603ec30482536fc0.jpg

I would rather get bitten by Nicotine than Opioid, but it doesn't change the fact that they are both dogs.

In some cities people are forbidden from owning a dog like Opioid, but they are allowed to own a dog like Nicotine. They are still both dogs.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I agree with this. ^

And that would be YOUR experience and opinion. :) My experience/opinion is if I can't vape within an hour's time period, I will get a strong craving for my nicotine, and experience some mild anxiety and a drop off of mental focus until I get my "hit" of nicotine. I don't know if this is a physical dependency or a mental one, but it is MY experience. I only use 3 - 6 mg nic in a sub-ohm setup. I have attempted to vape 0mg nic and its just not the same.

ditto.... agreed Brother

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I have tried 0mg nic too....for me it wasn't the need for the nic, but the taste is very different. I don't necessarily taste the nic, but it does apparently add something to the flavorings....they just taste better for me :laugh: For unflavored, I can do that with no nic....I don't really taste the nic in unflavored, but it sure does something with the flavored liquids (at least for my tasters ;) )
    I don't think we are talking about "taste" in this thread, but the side effects, mental or physical, of nicotine withdrawal. Apparently you do not have side effects from nicotine withdrawal. You are fortunate and blessed.

I don't vape for a "buzz", but I do vape to prevent nicotine withdrawal side effects. I'm not as fortunate as yourself.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Nicotine is a drug.
    Caffeine is a drug.
    Alcohol is a drug.

People can disagree all they want, but it's not a matter of opinion. It's a scientific fact.

This attitude, bias, and blindness to fact is exactly what people accuse the people on the other side of the vaping fence of having.

"Nicotine isn't a drug because I take it and it's not as harmful as opioids" is just as ignorant as saying "nicotine is a drug because it causes cancer".

People can believe in whatever they want. That does not make it truth and it does not mean it's not hypocritical.

Caffeine is a drug.

exactly... facts are just that...they are fact.

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 25, 2011
    I don't think we are talking about "taste" in this thread, but the side effects, mental or physical, of nicotine withdrawal. Apparently you do not have side effects from nicotine withdrawal. You are fortunate and blessed.

I don't vape for a "buzz", but I do vape to prevent nicotine withdrawal side effects. I'm not as fortunate as yourself.

I completely understand this.....so......nvm *sigh*

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    This is a dog. His name is Opioid.
    how-scared-should-i-be-of-pit-bulls-107-1447875736.jpg

This is a dog. His name is Nicotine.
    ff42741ead52e848603ec30482536fc0.jpg

I would rather get bitten by Nicotine than Opioid, but it doesn't change the fact that they are both dogs.

In some cities people are forbidden from owning a dog like Opioid, but they are allowed to own a dog like Nicotine. They are still both dogs.
    Now I want to name my pillow Nicotine.

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 26, 2014
    Grand Junction, Co
    Everyone is different with ALL things....but with the term "very" or "highly", I still can't bring myself to buy into that. Opiods are very and highly....and those withdrawals can be and have been deadly. When the terms very and highly are used, in the court of public opinion (which is part of what this industry is fighting here) those terms bring those "highly" addictive and dangerous (legal and illegal) drugs to mind (especially when they keep claiming that "nicotine is as addictive as H.......I really don't know how to put that in here without getting in trouble :unsure: Nicotine is no where near that

I hate to be this guy, but on the other hand I dislike misinformation even more.

Opiates are highly addictive, yes. But a large number people who try to quit taking opiates are eventually able to do it. Withdrawals are horrible, but they are extremely rarely fatal if a person is healthy. Alcohol on the other hand can be exceptionally deadly to withdrawal from, and people rarely think of it as a drug in the standard sense. Interestingly myself and a large number of others have been able to quit using opioids or other drugs but have never been able to stop using nicotine. By that criteria I would say that nicotine is likely more addictive that opiods in a majority of cases.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    I believe it is supposed to be one of the hardest substances to kick. Part of the reason for this is probably that it's available legally and it doesn't compromise function, so there are fewer external incentives to give it up. But there are also physiological reasons. Here's a nice article about them: https://www.researchgate.net/post/Nicotinic_Receptors_Nicotine_addiction.

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 25, 2011
    I hate to be this guy, but on the other hand I dislike misinformation even more.

Opiates are highly addictive, yes. But a large number people who try to quit taking opiates are eventually able to do it. Withdrawals are horrible, but they are extremely rarely fatal if a person is healthy. Alcohol on the other hand can be exceptionally deadly to withdrawal from, and people rarely think of it as a drug in the standard sense. Interestingly myself and a large number of others have been able to quit using opioids or other drugs but have never been able to stop using nicotine. By that criteria I would say that nicotine is likely more addictive that opiods in a majority of cases.

Not misinformation. With medical assistance or guidance, yes....not high death rates, but it does indeed occur...and more often in the correctional institutions where care is lacking.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    'a medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body.'

Nicotine is absolutely a drug. Of course, it's not what most people typically think of when they hear the word, but it is. It's also addictive. Not sure how people can disagree with either of those statements.
    Im having a hard time being addicted to nicotine right now. :)

42 yrs of using nicotine in tobacco and one year in vaping with nicotine. Im not a nicotine newby.

I dont think nicotine is addictive for me. Im shocked by how easy it is for me not to use nicotine and not feel much about it.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    Yeah, I'm way less addicted to it than my sisters were/are (one dead from lung cancer four years ago). Though I was a heavy smoker when I used cigarettes regularly, I could also go for days/weeks/months without them without suffering much. I think I was more addicted to the business of smoking than the smoke itself.

Don't get me wrong: I respond to nicotine. When I took my first puff of the G6 from which I will be graduating soon, my brain instantly recognized the nicotine and said, "Oh, yeah . . . that's the stuff" (at that point, I hadn't had a cigarette in months).

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    Yeah, I'm way less addicted to it than my sisters were/are (one dead from lung cancer four years ago). Though I was a heavy smoker when I used cigarettes regularly, I could also go for days/weeks/months without them without suffering much. I think I was more addicted to the business of smoking than the smoke itself.

Don't get me wrong: I respond to nicotine. When I took my first puff of the G6 from which I will be graduating soon, my brain instantly recognized the nicotine and said, "Oh, yeah . . . that's the stuff" (at that point, I hadn't had a cigarette in months).
    I couldnt go 2hrs without tobacco and not have mad pangs and cravings for a cigarette.
    Vaping, I go 6hrs of the work day without nicotine and go nic free for 2 days every 10 to 14 days. No problems at all.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I couldnt go 2hrs without tobacco and not have mad pangs and cravings for a cigarette.
    Vaping, I go 6hrs of the work day without nicotine and go nic free for 2 days every 10 to 14 days. No problems at all.
    Same when I smoked. If able, I'd smoke one every hour when awake. Sometimes would awaken from my sleep and smoke a cig. I would leave watching a movie in the cinema because I couldn't go without a cigarette for 2 hours. I always missed at least 7 minutes of every movie I watched.

I worked in the operating room, and would often have to go a few hours without a cigarete break, but my thoughts were always on getting a smoke when I could.

Hello. My name is Baditude, and I'm a nicoholic.

Reactions: smacuser
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread