Not getting a buzz anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hanged Man

Oct 16, 2018
USA
I always thought of nic as a drug personally, but Seems like alot of things could fall into that category. Is sugar a drug? How about chocolate? Both fit into that definition. I think even the other substances we vape are drugs .

It's definitely a broad spectrum, and I'd never ague that nicotine is on the level of some other things out there that are typically thought of when people mention the word 'drug', but have you ever gotten a buzz off of sugar? Caffeine? There are definitely physiological effects, but nicotine is definitely a much stronger stimulant. Some people here claim they don't get buzzes off of nicotine, but I do, unless I'm chain vaping.

If your baseline is having nicotine in your system, which is what a lot of vapers unfortunately do, then the stimulating effects of nicotine are going to be less pronounced.

Im having a hard time being addicted to nicotine right now. :)

42 yrs of using nicotine in tobacco and one year in vaping with nicotine. Im not a nicotine newby.

I dont think nicotine is addictive for me. Im shocked by how easy it is for me not to use nicotine and not feel much about it.

Your own language does imply that you do feel the tugs of addiction though. "...And not feel much about it" implies that you are indeed feeling something without it. Even when you're trying to present nicotine addiction being a non-issue for you, this language slips in. Is that just accidental?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
But you disagreed nicotine was an addictive drug yet after not smoking for 2143 days you still have nicotine, just makes no sense to me.

Point being, there is an enormous difference between the addictive properties contained in & created by the chemical soup from smoldering tobacco / and the clean refined nicotine used in vaping.

Tobacco smoke - thousands of chemicals, toxins & carcinogens, only one of which is nicotine, in its raw organic form blended with other properties that make it more available, stronger longer lasting effect, more addictive,,, on purpose.
Nicotine used in vaping - one chemical or drug if you want to call it that,,, clean, pure, refined nicotine.

I still use nicotine because it is something my body has been used to for 42+ years and I like it, much like coffee / caffeine.
Sometimes I don't have coffee, occasionally for a full day or two, I don't go into withdrawal, freak out, become irritable or have any actual negative side effects. Occasionally a slight headache,,, one or two aspirin, gone, woo freaking hoo.

I have no problem going 4, 8, 10 hours without vaping, on occasion there are entire days I am just too busy, need my hands for other things or in a place where vaping is very low to non existent on my priority list.
I don't go into withdrawal, freak out, become irritable or have any noticeable negative side effects.
Many long term vapers report similar

I smoked 2 -3 packs per day for 36+ years, no way on earth I could go a day, even 4 hours without smoking, I used to go to all sorts of ridiculous lengths to smoke and chain smoke 2 - 4 cigs to make up for brief non smoking periods.
Even after all this time I still think cigs smell delicious, I still get cravings to smoke, I know what would happen if I lit one so I don't.

I crave smoking, I don't crave vaping. It doesn't have to make the least little bit of sense to anyone else.
Smoking - highly addictive chemical soup that happens to contain nicotine.
Vaping - Pg, Vg, small amount of flavorings & a tiny amount of refined nic, almost as addictive as caffeine.

I've been in no hurry to reduce nic, I've let my body tell me when each step lower should take place.
Gradually over time going from 10 - 14 ml of mid to high 30's mg/ml nic per day down to 2 - 8 ml of 3 mg/ml nic per day my Cotinine level has drastically reduced.

As far as nic buzz from vaping goes,,, I've never once had one or would want it.
A feeling of slight nic overdose, yes, I do whatever necessary to avoid it, like stop vaping for a while or reduce nic mg/ml.

Last edited:

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Point being, there is an enormous difference between the addictive properties contained in & created by the chemical soup from smoldering tobacco / and the clean refined nicotine used in vaping.

Tobacco smoke - thousands of chemicals, toxins & carcinogens, only one of which is nicotine, in its raw organic form blended with other properties that make it more available, stronger longer lasting effect, more addictive,,, on purpose.
Nicotine used in vaping - one chemical or drug if you want to call it that,,, clean, pure, refined nicotine.

I still use nicotine because it is something my body has been used to for 42+ years and I like it, much like coffee / caffeine.
Sometimes I don't have coffee, occasionally for a full day or two, I don't go into withdrawal, freak out, become irritable or have any actual negative side effects. Occasionally a slight headache,,, one or two aspirin, gone, woo freaking hoo.

I have no problem going 4, 8, 10 hours without vaping, on occasion there are entire days I am just too busy, need my hands for other things or in a place where vaping is very low to non existent on my priority list.
I don't go into withdrawal, freak out, become irritable or have any noticeable negative side effects.
Many long term vapers report similar

I smoked 2 -3 packs per day for 36+ years, no way on earth I could go a day, even 4 hours without smoking, I used to go to all sorts of ridiculous lengths to smoke and chain smoke 2 - 4 cigs to make up for brief non smoking periods.
Even after all this time I still think cigs smell delicious, I still get cravings to smoke, I know what would happen if I lit one so I don't.

I crave smoking, I don't crave vaping.
Smoking - highly addictive chemical soup that happens to contain nicotine.
Vaping - Pg, Vg, small amount of flavorings & a tiny amount of refined nic, almost as addictive as caffeine.

I'm in no hurry to reduce nic, I've let my body tell me when each step lower should take place.
Gradually over time going from 10 - 14 ml of mid to high 30's mg/ml nic down to 2 - 8 ml of 3 mg/ml nic my Cotinine level has drastically reduced.

As far as nic buzz from vaping goes,,, I've never once had one or would want it.
A feeling of slight nic overdose, yes, I do whatever necessary to avoid it, like stop vaping for a while or reduce nic mg/ml.
Yes after 25 years of smoking i started vaping on high nicotine and have reduced it down to 3mg and like you can go a while without a vape because of the low level. I use to crave cigarettes more than i need to vape now but only because i couldn't gradually reduce nicotine with cigarettes. We will have to agree to disagree on how addictive nicotine is but after reading your sermon you say how you have gradually reduced your nic as your body as told you too, same as me because it's an addictive drug. If i was on 30+mg of nicotine i would get nicotine cravings after a while without a vape.

Reactions: Doffy

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I never smoked cigars or cigarettes regularly and they were just some from friends here and there. I started maybe a year ago and stopped a month ago. I just didn't like it very much and cigars made me nauseous (plus i never got a buzz off those cheap cigars). I could get a buzz from cigarettes but I know they're horrible for you and don't need that. Also I have never tried nicotine salts based liquids (didn't know they existed). I am in college in western PA, but I live in Central NY.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Suggest you stay away from all addicting habits, you will be happier. Zero nic here and no addiction, just great tastes.

Reactions: Jebbn

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Your own language does imply that you do feel the tugs of addiction though. "...And not feel much about it" implies that you are indeed feeling something without it. Even when you're trying to present nicotine addiction being a non-issue for you, this language slips in. Is that just accidental?

Any implication you are reading into my post probably has more to do with your interpretation rather than my intention.
In this I think a person can only speak from their own experience and it seems that not all our experiences are the same.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
does anyone really expect someone to respond with an "oooooohhhh, you're right!"? After years of ProVari threads, I can assure you, it's not going to happen. There's those who prefer to consider nicotine a super powerful, highly addictive drug and then there's those of us who see it as something easily compared to caffeine. There's also people who feel Participation Trophies are a good idea.....:blink:

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
does anyone really expect someone to respond with an "oooooohhhh, you're right!"? After years of ProVari threads, I can assure you, it's not going to happen. There's those who prefer to consider nicotine a super powerful, highly addictive drug and then there's those of us who see it as something easily compared to caffeine. There's also people who feel Participation Trophies are a good idea.....:blink:
Nailed it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
How about something highly addictive that is comparable to caffeine?
I never have been much of a coffee or soda pop consumer. Never had the need for caffeine pills.

From my personal experience, I sort of became addicted to energy shots, 5 Hour Energy to be specific. I had developed what my physician determined was "excessive sleepiness". If I was mentally "bored", I would nod out.

I was screened for sleep apnea, narcolepsy and other forms of sleep disorders via multiple sleep lab studies. Nothing really came out definative except that I did have mild sleep apnea. I was prescribed a CPAP machine, but it didn't really help my symptoms. I began using the energy shots just to stay awake to keep my job.

I ended up self medicating using two 5 Hour Energy Shots over the course of a day. Until I began having heart palpitations. I cut down on the energy shots. That's about the time when I lost my job from nodding out when I was on the clock. I'm currently on disability for my excessive sleepiness, but it two and a half years and the help of a great attorney to get it.

I still often take a 5 Hour Energy Shot just to get going for the day. I guess it equates to coffee drinkers who drink 3 - 4 cups a coffee to start their day.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Izan

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
3 Disagree's already that nicotine is a drug, the British education system must be rubbish then.

You made two statements:
1. Nicotine is a drug.
2. That drug is very addictive.
No way to know which is being disagreed with, 1 or 2 or both.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
You made two statements:
1. Nicotine is a drug.
You made two statements:
1. Nicotine is a drug.
We would know if there was a comment after disagreeing.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Baditude

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I never have been much of a coffee or soda pop consumer. Never had the need for caffeine pills.

From my personal experience, I sort of became addicted to energy shots, 5 Hour Energy to be specific. I had developed what my physician determined was "excessive sleepiness". If I was mentally "bored", I would nod out.

I was screened for sleep apnea, narcolepsy and other forms of sleep disorders via multiple sleep lab studies. Nothing really came out definative except that I did have mild sleep apnea. I was prescribed a CPAP machine, but it didn't really help my symptoms. I began using the energy shots just to keep my job.

I ended up self medicating using two 5 Hour Energy Shots over the course of a day. Until I began having heart palpitations. I cut down on the energy shots. That's about the time when I lost my job from nodding out when I was on the clock. I'm currently on disability for my excessive sleepiness.

I still often take a 5 Hour Energy Shot just to get going for the day. I guess it equates to coffee drinkers who drink 3 - 4 cups a coffee to start their day.
Cheers Bad,

You just described me.
I fall asleep before the plane leaves the gate, I have fallen asleep in the dentists chair, any where, any time of day.
Work suffered and I lost my job.
I'll have to investigate more if I ever return to the States.
Thanks for sharing.

cheers
I

• Love
Reactions: Baditude

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I think people here unanimously support age restrictions on vaping. I can't recall any time where the general consensus was to let kids vape. There are some rare niche reasons it might be (e.g. under age tobacco smoker for harm reduction), but generally we agree that kids should not vape.

We also generally agree that e-liquid is nicotine + VG + PG + flavouring. VG, PG, and flavouring being safe ingredients.

If nicotine is not addictive and not harmful, why are we so against underage vaping?

Do you guys hear that? The hypocrisy train is making it's next stop.

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I think unanimously people here support age restrictions on vaping. I can't recall any time where the general consensus was to let kids vape. There are some rare niche reasons it might be (e.g. under age tobacco smoker for harm reduction), but generally we agree that kids should not vape.

We also generally agree that e-liquid is nicotine + VG + PG + flavouring. VG, PG, and flavouring being safe ingredients.

If nicotine is not addictive and not harmful, why are we so against underage vaping?

Do you guys hear that? The hypocrisy train is making it's next stop.

We can meet at the Starbucks or Mcdonalds and discuss!
Shall I bring the donuts?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
have you ever gotten a buzz off of sugar? Caffeine?
never......I also have never felt any kind of buzz from nic either, whether when I smoked or vaping. If I do go without sugar or caffeine, I don't withdrawal, but do think about it and kind of crave it in a way, same with vaping. At least to me, they seem very similiar .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread