Not Gonna Buy Any More Premixed E-juice. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2011
iowa
What I'm getting from the beginning and end of this thread is, Iv never really vaped really tasty juice because Iv never mixed my own.

I really enjoy my favorites but dread facing all those mediocre flavors because as much as they cost.. I refuse to throw juice away.

Any links someone could share for a good intro to DIY juice?

Grandma SJA

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2010
kc mo
it is expensive till you find a good vendor, then you stick with them. To me what I spent in cigs cost alot more than juice. The ecf has been wonderful and saved me lots of money by reading. I watched a commerical last night on tv and it was one of those little bitty rip off kits. I tell everyone to come here so you know what you are getting and talk to people. the people who have been around the longest can really help you. you do not need alot of money , its just knowing how to get yourself and your supplies in line and enjoy. Glad you do not smoke anymore. I love vaping and smoked for way to many years. Good luck to you. Grandma Sandy

Whodoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Missouri, USA
What I'm getting from the beginning and end of this thread is, Iv never really vaped really tasty juice because Iv never mixed my own.

I really enjoy my favorites but dread facing all those mediocre flavors because as much as they cost.. I refuse to throw juice away.

Any links someone could share for a good intro to DIY juice?

I'd like to be pointed in the direction of how to actually make ejuice. I scoured the DIY section last night & all I could find is how many ml's of each ingredient to use. Is it just mixing ingredients? No heat or technique involved???

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
I'd like to be pointed in the direction of how to actually make ejuice. I scoured the DIY section last night & all I could find is how many ml's of each ingredient to use. Is it just mixing ingredients? No heat or technique involved???

That is pretty much it! Your nic liquid, PG or VG, and flavor. Right amounts in a bottle and you got juice! There is a good calculator here:
http://www.ecigexpress.com/ejuice-calculator.php

You can buy any nic liquid that is sold. If you are vaping 36mg then you want a higher nic liquid so that when you add flavor you will not cut the nic. I vape 34mg and buy 48 or 60 nic liquid. The calculator lets me put in my base nic, and what I want my juice to be. Then tells me how much of VG and flavor to add for the percent of flavoring I want.

I only use VG. So for me I buy nic liquid in VG and have VG to add. If you want a percentage of PG and VG it is a little bit more difficult.

You must pay attention to your measuring and always be safe with your nic liquid.

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
There is nothing worse than when you do find the juices you prefer and then they dont taste anything alike from one batch to the other.
spank1.gif

That's okay, if they step up to the plate. Unfortuntely, the responses you recieve are more like "we can do no wrong, it must be YOU."
After you just dropped $75 there.........

However, there ARE some vendors who actually appear to care about me, and I only shop w/them now.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
I started vaping last March and the avg cost of a 30ml bottle of juice was between $10-15 now it's $15-25 depending on where you go and what you order. My first couple stabs at DIY we complete fail until a friend of mine dumbed it down for me a little lol I've been enjoying my own creations for the last month now and as far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to go. You're literally vaping for pennies on the dollar vs. vendor pricing.

Mudflap, thanks for saying what everyone is thinking! :)

Care to pass that info on to us? :)

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
ThreadNecro.gif

Well, it's been well over a year since I decided premixes weren't for me and threw my little forum tantrum by starting this thread. I had found a few premixes that I really liked, but price and availability were NOT to my liking. I also wanted more variety and trying new flavors and brands had gotten to be an exercise in buyer's remorse.

With the help of some very generous fellow Reonauts and a few of my own dollars invested, I launched into the world of DIY e-liquid. I am so glad I did. I have made some horrendous tasting juice. I have also made some wow-that's-pretty-good-did-I-make-that? juice.

I like to find recipes online and try them out. A lot of the time, I'll look at the flavorings required for a recipe and make a substitution or two just to see how it will turn out. Last night I decided I wanted to make a green apple blend that I hadn't tried yet. I decided to add some peanut butter flavoring to it. I'm letting it steep for a few days before I even sample it. It might be good or absolutely horrible. The experience is fun, even when your experiments turn out awful.

I have two female coworkers that I helped switch from smokes to vapes. One of them commented that whatever I was vaping smelled really good, so I told her it was a butterscotch + caramel + butter cream + vanilla butternut concoction I had come up with. She expressed interest in trying it, so I made her a 30mL bottle and gave it to her. She then let my other coworker try it. Next thing ya know, I'm getting angry texts from the other coworker asking me why she didn't get a bottle of that yummy butterscotch juice. Too funny. And flattering.

I also have to admit something. Every couple of weeks, there's some new vendor juice being hyped all over the forums, facebook, youtube, etc. I used to get caught up in the hype and threw away a lot of money trying this, that, and the other. A few were good, but most were "meh." Now I see the hype and chuckle. I'm not tempted. I can make several different juices that I really enjoy. I can also experiment and discover new flavor combinations that I enjoy. The best part is the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself. The monetary savings are pretty nice, too.

I'm no genius nor am I some master juice chef. All I've done is take advantage of the information available to me online, and learned to apply it. For everyone that shares a recipe, a DIY tip, a juice calculator, etc., you have my gratitude. I'm also grateful to all my peeps who gave me support and encouragement when I first started. You know who you are.

So, for whomever may read this thread or this particular post... if you're on the fence about DIY, I can't recommend it enough. It's fun!

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
How much time does DIY take up?

It does not take long at all. Most of my time is spent picking out what flavors I want. I usually do 6 of the 30ml bottles at one sitting.

Once you learn what flavors you like, and what goes well together, it can be done in a short amount of time. Let's say you want butter rum, bavarian cream, and tobacco. Once you have those flavors, your nic, and your vg or pg you grab a clean bottle and measure out what you need of each. I always check and double check the amounts. Keeping the calculator open helps me. Sometimes I just jot down the measurements of each since I diy away from the computer.

It is well worth the time and effort. I make juices that I like better than any vender juices I bought.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California

After you have everything in hand and have your recipes perfected, about as much as logging into a vendor site, picking your poison, and going through the payment system.

and a heck of a lot less time (and money) than waiting for someone else to make it, ship it and for it to arrive via the mail.

canoeist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Piedmont, SC
www.mcleanweb.org

It takes me about 5 minutes to mix a 40 day supply. I have figured that I like a real simple mix, I keep an extra REO around and will drip a different flavor in it every now and then. The best part is that my liquid costs about 5 dollars a month to mix. That is pretty hard to beat.

Edit: This is still probably my favorite thread on the whole site.

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
Been on the DIY train since last summer., but as always, I never learn... I got lazy and curious a couple of months ago and thought I would order one of my old favs. Well damn if I didn't just hate it! It tasted nothing like I remembered, and it cost a bundle.

Whipped up 500ml of my best DIYs last night so I should be set for a while, at a fraction of the cost of that vendor juice.

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
I'm in the camp of doing both right now. I've got several I make up that I like very well. But there are also my old faves out there that I enjoy very much. I can end up with 360ml of an old fave for about $50 shipped(after I tweak it at home). It's cheap, I like it, and I still buy it pretty routinely for stockup purposes. I've also branched out and started trying some of the "hot" vendors out there for a couple of reasons.

1. I'm curious by nature. I like to try out some new flavor blends and it serves to get me out of the same ole/same ole DIY rut I tend to fall into. New flavors from different vendors on occasion act as a springboard in my mind and get the wheels turning on my DIY blends. I've found some new flavors to work with this way.

2. How much longer do we have to sample stuff with the FDA sniffing around? Figured that I'd like to try a bit of new stuff in case the Mom and Pops get shut down. Just because I still have the freedom to do so right now.

tlynn

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
Austin, Tx
These sound really good...care to share your recipes?

Just thought I would share. I'm so excited cause I finally rounded out my stable of DIY recipes. I've had two go-to's for the last few months but still wanted a couple more. I tried several different flavors but just couldn't find what I was looking for. I got so frustrated that I order a few bottles of one of my old favorites, but sadly when I tried it, it just didn't live up to my memory.

So on the suggestions form folks in the DIY threads I got banana cream and apple pie from TFA and wow do they ever hit the spot!

So now I think I can stop experimenting. I've got one flavor for each of my four Reos.

A super chilling peppermint blast
A lightly sweet vanilla mint
A creamy, decadent banana & peanut butter
AND, a sticky sweet apple pie a la mode

I'm all set now, that is, until I get another Reo...

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
These sound really good...care to share your recipes?

Sure! These have changed a bit since I posted. This is the current line up. I will note that I like a high percentage of EM in my recipes. Some might find it too sweet. I don't really taste the sweetness, but I like the mouth feel and texture it adds to the vape.

Enjoy...

Peppermint
Lorann Peppermint Oil 2%
TPA Marshmallow 2%
EM 6%

Apple Pie
TPA Apple Pie 6%
TPA Vanilla Swirl 4%
FW Salted Caramel 2%
EM 4%

Mint Candy
TPA Mint Candy 10%
TPA Vanilla Swirl 3%
TPA Bavarian Cream 2%
EM 3%

Banana/PB Cream
TPA Banana Cream 13%
TPA Peanut Butter 7%
Bavarian Cream 2%
EM 5%

And my latest, and quickly becoming a fav

RY4
TPA RY4 Double 8%
TPA Vanilla Swirl 5%
TPA Bavarian Cream 4%
FW Salted Caramel 3%
EM 5%

The RY really benefits from a long steep. three weeks or more if you can stand it. It mellows into an extremely creamy, flavorful vape. Can't put it down.

I should also add that I use only VG (6mg) except for the PG in the flavorings. I would expect if you like a blend with more PG you might want to lower the over all flavor percentage.

tlynn

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
Austin, Tx
Bless your heart! I like sweet too. Thank you.

Sure! These have changed a bit since I posted. This is the current line up. I will note that I like a high percentage of EM in my recipes. Some might find it too sweet. I don't really taste the sweetness, but I like the mouth feel and texture it adds to the vape.

Enjoy...

Peppermint
Lorann Peppermint Oil 2%
TPA Marshmallow 2%
EM 6%

Apple Pie
TPA Apple Pie 6%
TPA Vanilla Swirl 4%
FW Salted Caramel 2%
EM 4%

Mint Candy
TPA Mint Candy 10%
TPA Vanilla Swirl 3%
TPA Bavarian Cream 2%
EM 3%

Banana/PB Cream
TPA Banana Cream 13%
TPA Peanut Butter 7%
Bavarian Cream 2%
EM 5%

And my latest, and quickly becoming a fav

RY4
TPA RY4 Double 8%
TPA Vanilla Swirl 5%
TPA Bavarian Cream 4%
FW Salted Caramel 3%
EM 5%

The RY really benefits from a long steep. three weeks or more if you can stand it. It mellows into an extremely creamy, flavorful vape. Can't put it down.

I should also add that I use only VG (6mg) except for the PG in the flavorings. I would expect if you like a blend with more PG you might want to lower the over all flavor percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread