Novice and 14500 battery advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dlovell

Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Florida
I am about to order the Novice by Chris Creations from okc vapes. I have recently moved from tanks (protank/cartotank) to rbas for all vaping that I do. Living in Florida, every tank of every sort I have tried leaks/ floods when going from 75 degrees indoors to a billion degrees outdoors, except a vivi and I'd rather quit vaping than use a vivi. No offense to those that do. I don't drip while driving. I drip before and after driving, so I'm safe and everyone else is as well.
That said, this device looks perfect to me. I just have a few questions. First of all, anyone that owns one? Love it? Hate it? And second, the okc site has an option to add a 14500 PROTECTED battery. Why protected? And if I buy protected batteries with it, do I need a specific type of charger?
Thank you in advance to anyone who responds. Without ECF, I would truly be lost. Thanks again.

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
Hy Dlovell, it's all about chemistry there are basically 3 types of lithium batteries. The simplest ones are the ones that you are looking at - lithium cobalt - that have the most mah or capacity, as far as I know but they get dangerous when there isn't a lot of voltage in them or when you draw too much power. To explain this I'll give an example, when using in a mechanical mod with a low resistance atomizer coil - say 1.5 ohm- you gradually draw more power from the battery as the voltage in it drops. The battery needs voltage to deliver power, so the less voltage it has the more it will work to provide the coil with the same power and if you continue to use this battery below a certain voltage it might heat up to the point that it vents or worse catches fire, explode etc. So the protection in these battery stops the user from using them under certain conditions that the factory decided they are safe to use, e.g they will stop working when voltage reaches a certain level usually 3.2V or when they go through continuous shorts.
There are also lithium iron phosphate that I don't know much about - they are no good for us - and there are the famous and most discussed and used IMR's or lithium manganese which use manganese chemistry as opposed to cobalt and to put it simple they allow to draw more power even at low voltage and also even if the worst happens and they do get stressed to their limits they will always vent, eliminating gases not flames :) - which is why they are also called safe chemistry batteries- , but they do this at the expense of having less capacity -or mah- which means that you will be recharging them more often than the simple ones and when you use small imr batteries like 18350 or 14500 that don't exceed 800mah you need to make sure you always have a couple of spares with you when you're out. I hope some of this makes sense, but what I want to say is that people that understand a bit how lithium batteries work will choose to use imr but some will still use protected lithium cobalt batteries in mechanical mods to profit from their higher capacities but they should choose big batteries like 18650 because they will handle stress better just because they are bigger. Anyway with that said if I would have to choose a battery smaller than 18650 I would go for imr for both electronic and mechanical mods just because I can get several of the sizes I need and they last a good amount of time for the money that I pay for them, excluding the fact that you add to your safety.
A lithium ion charger will recharge any lithium rechargeable battery, but get a charger that does it's job correctly and doesn't overcharge. Get an Xtar - vp1 does a perfect charge- ( I still have the wp2 II and have no plans of changing it ) or a Nitecore at worse, trustfires are kind not good at all in my opinion but which ever brand you choose get the newest one. I don't know a lot about the Novice mod but i will check it out since I'm interested in something like that, but if you get it I hope I'll find your opinion on it in here. Welcome to the forum !

bikini_kill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2013
Oklahoma City, OK USA
I have the Novice. It's the smallest mod I own, and I think it's a good buy for the price. I like the rather airy draw on it. The switch is a little "fiddly" compared to some of my other mods.

For batteries, I'd recommend the AW IMR 14500 unprotected (safe chemistry) battery. I'm local to OKC, and I can only speculate that their reason for not carrying them has something to do with the fact that one day I walked in there and was asked by one of their managers, "Where on earth did you find a AW IMR 14500 battery?!" as if it were a unicorn in the wild.

Dlovell

Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Florida
Hey proteckt3d, thanks for responding. I looked at the wp2 ll and I think that'll do the job. The vp1 looks sweet , but I do have a bit of a budget. I'm pretty comfortable with having a mech with a small battery. I have a k100 I only use in 18350 mode, so that shouldn't be an issue. I plan on buying four imrs after reading your response. Thank you, proteckt3d!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread