Status
Not open for further replies.

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
I've been looking at Madvapes 5v pt Great price and I always wanted to try a 5v...

That madvapes 5vl look awesome...All one needs on top of that is the juice and an atomizer? What else is required for vaping with that?

As fate would have it, I just got my MadVapes 5V PT in the mail this afternoon. Unwrapped it, immediately fitted it with a 510 drip tip and uncorked a bottle of Strictly E-Juice's Cinnaminty (yes, that's all you need).

I have to say I'm disappointed so far. I vaped it side-by-side with my Riva & LR atty. Better, cooler vapor and more flavor with the Riva. The PT's vapor was almost tasteless, which is quite a trick with cinnaminty.

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
If your going to get a PT you should get a few adapters with it so you can run any atty/carto you want,no need to limit yourself to one hardware config...

+1 My sentiments exactly. Go to MadVapes for the 5v PT and get adapters
so you can use different model attys. I use mine with 801 and 901 attys in addition to 510s. The best of ALL worlds.:2cool:

A tip regarding using the adapters on the PT or batteries. You're better off not screwing them in as tight as you can get it. You run the chance of pushing the sealed center piece down too far to make contact. I've lost both PTs and batts because I screwed the atty to tight with and without adpaters.

Madvapes also has a How To video on the site to show you how to attempt to prop it back up if you do have that issue.

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
As fate would have it, I just got my MadVapes 5V PT in the mail this afternoon. Unwrapped it, immediately fitted it with a 510 drip tip and uncorked a bottle of Strictly E-Juice's Cinnaminty (yes, that's all you need).

I have to say I'm disappointed so far. I vaped it side-by-side with my Riva & LR atty. Better, cooler vapor and more flavor with the Riva. The PT's vapor was almost tasteless, which is quite a trick with cinnaminty.

Is it a 5v? I ask because I also have Rivas, Egos, and the Hello that I use with LR attys. My PT puts out as well or better. BUT... I have found that it depends a LOT on the attys. For some reason attys even from the same batch will act better than others. What really amaze me is I tend to prefer the generic 510 attys from TV over my Joyes, SLBs and DSEs on the PT. Even with LR attys and my batts, some combinations work better. I started keeping the particular attys for the particular set up together.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
They aren't 5V PT's. They are a connector, button and a cable. To get 5V you need to have the correct current available (depends on the ohms of the atty). A 5V PT would be a system, the connector/button assembly and the appropriate power supply.

Don't bother with 2000mA AC adapters, with a Joye 510 the best they will give you is about 4.2V.

Get this. It will operate at a true 5V with any atty.

PROVANTAGE: Availability of SonicWALL Power Supply 5V-2.4A 100-240V (N. America) By SonicWALL

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
They aren't 5V PT's. They are a connector, button and a cable. To get 5V you need to have the correct current available (depends on the ohms of the atty). A 5V PT would be a system, the connector/button assembly and the appropriate power supply.

Don't bother with 2000mA AC adapters, with a Joye 510 the best they will give you is about 4.2V.

Get this. It will operate at a true 5V with any atty.

PROVANTAGE: Availability of SonicWALL Power Supply 5V-2.4A 100-240V (N. America) By SonicWALL

Which brings up a question I've been planning to ask. How exactly do you test the voltage of PTs and Batts with a multimeter? I know how to test attys but don't have a clue about batts and the only person I've seen test a PT used some kind of modification.

I already have a powered usb hub on the way that puts out 3000 mAh per port. And if my memory is correct, up to 7000 mAh total. But I plan to only have the PT plugged into it. I guess I am in for a pleasant surprise.

My car adapters are only 2000mAh. You have a source for 2.4A car adapters WB? :2cool:

brandon555

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2010
Wisconsin
Is it a 5v? I ask because I also have Rivas, Egos, and the Hello that I use with LR attys. My PT puts out as well or better. BUT... I have found that it depends a LOT on the attys. For some reason attys even from the same batch will act better than others. What really amaze me is I tend to prefer the generic 510 attys from TV over my Joyes, SLBs and DSEs on the PT. Even with LR attys and my batts, some combinations work better. I started keeping the particular attys for the particular set up together.

Same here. I only use Joye 510s at 3.7 volts or less.

All of the clone 510s are higher ohm. SLB usually in the 3.0 range.

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
Funny thing is my best performing regular 510s are the four dollar generics TV was selling. And... of the ones I tested the highest ohm rating was 2.3 and I have used that one primarily since Geoff started selling them. I messed around and let them sale out before picking up ten or so more.

I stopped buying attys because I've only had three die on me since I started gaping. But I only use regular ohm with the PT. Now I'm going to get a few 306LRs because I keep hearing they are vape monsters when dripping.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Which brings up a question I've been planning to ask. How exactly do you test the voltage of PTs and Batts with a multimeter? I know how to test attys but don't have a clue about batts and the only person I've seen test a PT used some kind of modification.

I already have a powered usb hub on the way that puts out 3000 mAh per port. And if my memory is correct, up to 7000 mAh total. But I plan to only have the PT plugged into it. I guess I am in for a pleasant surprise.

My car adapters are only 2000mAh. You have a source for 2.4A car adapters WB?
Hmm... That would take one hell of a power supply to run. I can't image a hub coming with a 7A supply. Most have 1A (1000mA) and sometimes 2A. What does it say on the supply itself?

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
It hasn't arrived yet so I went on Ebay to be sure. It's a 7 port usb hub with a total 3 amps powered. Still not bad for about 7 bucks shipped. If... you don't mind waiting for it arrive from China. LOL

PC Laptop 7 Ports USB 2.0 Powered HUB + Free AC Adapter - eBay (item 260650596274 end time Sep-12-10 22:04:42 PDT)
You maybe good to go. I did find find a 7 port CHUB (looked different though), but it did say:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Package Contents
- One 7 Ports of USB Hub
- 1 external power supply 2.6A
[/FONT]
The picture on Ebay of the power supply looks decent, not a dumb unregulated type, but the better, regulated switching type. That alone, if 2.6A, is worth the price.

Let us know when you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread