Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Has anyone else noticed what seems like an upsurge in national TV ads for such Big Pharma products as Chantix, Nicoderm, Nicorette, and so forth? I'm not able to quantify this without more data but the data isn't free, e.g., Nicorette TV Commercials.

This upsurge seems to coincide with an upsurge in negative reports and opinion pieces in the mass media regarding e-cigarettes. Probably just a coincidence.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Has anyone else noticed what seems like an upsurge in national TV ads for such Big Pharma products as Chantix, Nicoderm, Nicorette, and so forth? I'm not able to quantify this without more data but the data isn't free, e.g., Nicorette TV Commercials.

This upsurge seems to coincide with an upsurge in negative reports and opinion pieces in the mass media regarding e-cigarettes. Probably just a coincidence.

Yes, and that means an upsurge in me talking to/yelling at the TV -- "I use THIS (waving my mod at the TV), and don't get ANY cravings! Just vape, you idiot!" Cracks my husband up, everytime. :D

Andria

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Yes, and that means an upsurge in me talking to/yelling at the TV -- "I use THIS (waving my mod at the TV), and don't get ANY cravings! Just vape, you idiot!" Cracks my husband up, everytime.
My wife has been dealing with such rants for over six years now.
She no longer finds it funny, or disturbing, nor does she really have any reaction any more.

It's basically become part of our life at this point.

But I haven't talked to her yet about what my work insurance is about to do to me.
I doubt she'll find that amusing either.

I know I don't.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Yes, and that means an upsurge in me talking to/yelling at the TV -- "I use THIS (waving my mod at the TV), and don't get ANY cravings! Just vape, you idiot!" Cracks my husband up, everytime. :D

Andria

I've never taken Chantix, but I get some of the side effects from it's commercials.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Well, that's just a guess, and you have no proof that it's a coincidence. I say it's probaly not a coincidence, but I don't have any proof, either. It also coincides with the FDA's upcoming deeming. Coincidence?
Pure. It's likewise a coincidence that the purveyor of the heavily advertised Zonnic nicotine gum product is holding the FDA out as the final authority on all things good and reminding us that, whereas public vaping bans are widespread, Zonnic is "suited" for just about everywhere. Here is their webpage on "Zonnic and E-cigs":
Doesn't it seem as though there are as many different opinions about how to quit smoking as there are people? We can't speak to every idea out there but here's what can be said about nicotine gums like ZONNIC.

• Approved by the FDA as a stop smoking aid
  • Demonstrated to help people quit smoking
  • Suited to just about any situation you find yourself in.
One less [sic*] cigarette. One more victory. One great price.
That's how ZONNIC helps you quit. Find it here for just $4.99* or less.

Have more questions? Click here.
ZONNIC vs. E-Cigs

*The grammatically correct adjective for things which can be counted is "fewer." E.g., we will not see less NRT BS from Big Pharma, but we will see fewer smokers if they try e-cigarettes instead.

Last edited:

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
I noticed early in this year that Chantix was being heavily advertized. Now I'm seeing more gum and patches promoted. To keep myself from throwing something at the TV, I try to time the side effects warnings to see if they take up the same amt of time as the "wonderous" info on the product.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
Not to play devils advocate, but we are getting close to New Years. Some smokers resolve to quit on New Years, so this a good time to advertise. I seem to recall a surge in these ads in previous years around the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I haven't noticed an upswing but if the ads are increasing I'm sure it's because, like Kent and Jingles said, they are gearing up for the New Year resolution crowd.

I do remember seeing them, before I started vaping, and thinking to myself that if they would only come out with something that actually worked... :facepalm:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I've noticed more Nicoderm commercials lately. About the same for Chantix.

Maybe gearing up for New Year resolutions .....'tis the season :)

I think the New Years Resolution thing plays a Large Roll in the in the timing of Quitting Smoking Ads.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Well... I think if the Vaping Community Doesn't do something in Mass, then that is perhaps what we are going to get Also.

And Tobacco Flavored. We'll get a Tobacco Flavor.
No fruit! Golly Z won't you "think of the children!!!"

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Reactions: EBates

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No fruit! Golly Z won't you "think of the children!!!"

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

None of this has to do with Children.

It has to do with Policy Makers setting at ease the Minds of a Largely Uneducated Voting Base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread