Status
Not open for further replies.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
My Nuppin' got a new AFC today. Not so bland anymore...
1fa01ecee7ab18f8f072ce66debe29e5.jpg

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Looks great muzichead. Balanced contrast everywhere. :thumb:

Both of mine are still wearing their SS AFC's until I decide which one gets the brass AFC and which one gets the copper AFC... or if one or both will just stay SS. Glad I have the brass & copper AFC's though as I can always change either for what Reo it's on, or whatever the mood is at the time.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
It is actually a copper AFC w/ patina that was done by a fellow REOnaut, Mark Howard. He has a thread over in the suppliers section. I think it took my grand to another level. He says it is a pretty durable patina and finished off with a clear coat, but if you are too rough with it, it will scratch up. I am kinda rough on my stuff, but Its all good though... I had just spun my SS AFC w/ the drill yesterday w/ some scotchbrite to give it a brushed look. It turned out pretty good also. I am thinking I will probably order a 2nd Nuppin' now to go on my Silver Vein...

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Just got my Nuppin today and built my first coil. Not too difficult but getting the short leg down the tiny hole, I was worried not enough wire was going through.

After playing with that a bit, I hit my .60Ω on the first try (yesssss) but I'm getting a bit of a harsh vape which surprised me a bit. May need to play with the cotton, maybe? I am using only a single coil

Henry Etta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks! But what would you recommend for harsh vapes? Less cotton, more cotton, coil down?? I've been playing and playing with this thing. After a squonk, I get a decent vape then it goes harsh quick. And it's good and squonked cuz juice leaked out of the air hole :facepalm:

Drop your coil a bit? I started out with mine high because I like to have them a bit above the air holes, but it was bit too hot/harsh for me. I just dropped mine to just barely above the deck, and I'm getting more vapor & smoother hits.

Ah, Muzic beat me to it!

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
My first and only coils I have put in mine so far sits with the top of the coil just barely to the center of the AFC. I knew when I coiled it that I wanted it centered, but just wanted to get to vapin' it and told myself I would drop a new set of coils in after a few days testing....that was 2 weeks ago... Still going strong and vaping great. This is the best atty I have used my RxW in and am thinking it was made for this atty...

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I'm running a single 1Ω coil and it's sitting right in front of the air hole. I've been enjoying the nuppin' but I too am finding the vape (even with the air hole almost completely closed) too airy and a bit harsh. I'm finding that I prefer the RM2's smooth draw better :unsure:

I'm still playing with it though :D

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I was referring in the previous post that a high coil can be a harsh vape simply because it's warmer/hotter, so lower the coil.

Thanks! But what would you recommend for harsh vapes? Less cotton, more cotton, coil down?? I've been playing and playing with this thing. After a squonk, I get a decent vape then it goes harsh quick. And it's good and squonked cuz juice leaked out of the air hole :facepalm:

I know you have used cotton for a long time, so ought to be well versed in using it, but what it sounds like from the above ..... If you are getting a descent vape after a squonk that goes bad fast it's probably your wick is not holding enough juice for those followup pulls. Probably not holding enough joose to start with because the cotton is too tight in the coil to get more joose from reserves in the tails fast enough, or not enough cotton to hold enough juice to start with - not as likely but possible. CC wicks faster than KDG BTW. Personally I don't use long tails on my wicks in the Nuppin's (or any of my BF atty's), not with the KGD or the RxW. I have to use a different squonk for each wick type. The KGD is immediately saturated after a fairly short squonk and ready to vape a few pulls.... the RxW I have to wait for the joose to be wicked into it longer so a longer squonk and delay before vaping, and I don't get as many pulls before having to squonk the RxW again. I've known how to set up my cotton builds perfect for a long time... but new at using so still learning about the RxW.

As for the AFC, what works best for your build and draw style is what is right for you. That's the beauty of them. As a very long lung hitter who pulls until my lungs are full, how the AFC is set up is not as critical for me. I can run it fully open or only partially open single of dual coils, can have it positioned centered on the coil(s) or to the side and still get the lungs full of massive flavor rich vapor. Just means my pulls may be shorter or longer to fill my lungs depending on how it's set up. I don't get dry hits because I note a warning when I need to squonk..... a pull that starts to fade a little during a pull, usually near the end of it. Kind of like learning to note when a battery is nearing recharge time without over draining it. Helps me not use up all the existing juice in the wicks reserves before I squonk again without having to keep track of how many pulls I've taken since the last squonk. IOW, I may squonk, take a couple of pulls, set the mod down and not pick it up again for up to an hour or more. Just the way it goes when you have multiple mods on line at the same time. Saves having to keep track of how many pulls have been taken on each of them, and over squonking any of them.

It's a tangled web we weave. If somebody had told me 2 years ago I would fiddle around with APV's like it was rocket science instead of mindlessly just smoking I probably would have scoffed at them. It's been a fun journey. Unlike golf that I did for decades until about 7-8 months after I retired in '90 and had learned that man doesn't live by playing golf 8 days a week... I don't see even retiring the vape (or the Reos).

Last edited:

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Thanks for all the tips and going to play with it more today. I couldn't find a decent vid to set it up (like a Super X, step by step type) but I did find that Todd guy..from Scotland or something, he has a thick accent. Anyway, he had a dual coil set up STUFFED with cotton so I thought I had to use more/longer legs.

I will try less cotton and adjust the coil height. Being a MTL hitter, some of these larger chamber atties "burst" the vape right down my throat so I get a harsh sensation. I'm kinda afraid now this Nuppin maybe for lung hitters like I felt with the Odin. I never smoked in real life direct to the lungs and when I did on accident, same sensation. I can only describe it as a burst, harsh lung or throat hit.

I might try my byLeo beck drip tip to narrow in the vape flow.

ETA- just switched out the Nuppin to the REO Mini from the Grand and put my RM4 from my mini to the Grand..WAY better IMO. I think the power from the Grand/18650 batt was making that "burst" sensation on the Nuppin? Or I'm crazy, which is highly likely.

Can anyone post or give me links to pics of coil set ups on the Nuppin. I'm trying to find pics of height of the coil and how much cotton peeps use. Thx

Last edited:

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
I'm running a single 1Ω coil and it's sitting right in front of the air hole. I've been enjoying the nuppin' but I too am finding the vape (even with the air hole almost completely closed) too airy and a bit harsh. I'm finding that I prefer the RM2's smooth draw better :unsure:

I'm still playing with it though :D

I've been playing all morning. LOLOL are you using it on the Grand or Mini? I switched it over to the Mini and for me, a BIG difference. The vape is awesome and harsh hits gone?!?!? I did raise the coil a tad more as well (first tried it on Grand, but still had a few harsh hits).

I think for those of us that prefer mouth hits, the power of the batts maybe too much with some atties? Not sure, but just a guess. I'm also going to slap on this thing my beLeo Drip Tip w/a Beck. It narrows the vapor flow and I love it. I'm not much into the large bore ones, cuz again, I feel like I get a huge shot of vapor right down my throat. LOLOL

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Like I mentioned earlier, if you look through my AFC you can just see the top half of the coil. I was shooting for the middle of the coil and will set it up that way on the next one. It's off by maybe 1/16" to 3/32", (or 1.5-2mm for those metric challenged folks), which can be a major difference in rebuildables...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread