ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Hold onto your e-cigs folks... the explosion is just around the corner. By the end of 2009, these will be mainstream and every smoker within a 50 mile radius of a computer or a newspaper will know what an e-cig is.

I believe it.....vaping is going to have them all going absolutely crazy with meetings and writing reports. It will be the biggest health issue on any agenda and it's certainly not something they are simply going to ban.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Agreed. H
I personally think it will be a huge statement on the "anti campaigns" behalf if RJR comes out and says that these are a great step forward. It will put the RJR Foundation back into the tobacco harm reduction category and less of the prohibitionist category.
They have to do it immediately. The FDA regulation will prevent them from developing any new products. I don't know if that would include acquiring products that are already developed and the companies that produce them. BT would be very smart to acquire Ruyan right away since it already has studies in place. Phillip Morris has that new, huge research center in VA. We would be naive to believe they are not studying electronic cigarettes there.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Like everything in life, the idiots will screw it up for the rest of us.

It doesn't matter if five million people have been puffing on them for a year and every single one of them are proven healthier today and every single one of them gave up cigarettes immediately upon starting with the e-cig, the FDA surely can and will still ban them if they so desire.

I concur with Gabby--This move to send Obama an E-cig surely is bad news for all of us. I would highly doubt that the Secret Service is going to let Obama anywhere near the cartridges without having them sent to a lab and that is highly unlikey. This is as bad as the "Clown" with the "Obama billboard" and will surley piss off the the Heads of the FDA. So there is nothing "good" that can come out of this stupid marketing move.---Sun :nah:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
While I hope "good press" continues, don't lose sight of the fact that Nicorette gum is an FDA-approved NRT treatment and is made in America, with strict regulations on content and safety, etc. Where was your e-cig made? What regulations did it follow? Who approved it for sale and marketing?

Back to earth with the turkeys and their crushed e-cigs.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Has anyone considered that the e-cig could put a serious dent in the tobacco companies profits? I do not think they will go quietly into the night without a fight. I suspect covert propaganda operations will start soon.

As it is now, the nicotine cartridges and the e-liquid are highly suspect to a quick and speedy ban. With these Jokers putting up billboards and sending Obama e-cigs, they might as well be screaming out "Ban me now--Ban me now" These idiots are just "crying out trouble" for all of us. I can just hear Obama now if he hears about some dummy sending him an e-cig--I think his first statement would be--"Are these legal?, are they approved? No? Well how did one get sent to me?????????" It is going to make a lot of people in the FDA and Customs look bad and we all know what happens when someone at the top of an agency looks bad--Heads roll----Sun :nah:

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
As it is now, the nicotine cartridges and the e-liquid are highly suspect to a quick and speedy ban. With these Jokers putting up billboards and sending Obama e-cigs, they might as well be screaming out "Ban me now--Ban me now" These idiots are just "crying out trouble" for all of us. I can just hear Obama now if he hears about some dummy sending him an e-cig--I think his first statement would be--"Are these legal?, are they approved? No? Well how did one get sent to me?????????" It is going to make a lot of people in the FDA and Customs look bad and we all know what happens when someone at the top of an agency looks bad--Heads roll----Sun :nah:

It is interesting though because in order to ban it, wouldn't you have to ban one or all of the substances within it? I simply cannot see a ban if people can purchase each ingredient legally and mix them together.

I can't imagine that the FDA would want people mixing their own vs companies being under regulations to create the substance. There is more money in it for the government (vice tax) if they don't ban it and simply impose regulations. If they go the ban route, then my estimation is that nicotine or PG would have to be banned. Good luck on banning PG. They would have to reformulate thousands of drugs already approved. Nicotine, well... that is a possibility, but then there would be black market sales of nicotine which could prove to be deadly.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
It is interesting though because in order to ban it, wouldn't you have to ban one or all of the substances within it? I simply cannot see a ban if people can purchase each ingredient legally and mix them together.

I can't imagine that the FDA would want people mixing their own vs companies being under regulations to create the substance. There is more money in it for the government (vice tax) if they don't ban it and simply impose regulations. If they go the ban route, then my estimation is that nicotine or PG would have to be banned. Good luck on banning PG. They would have to reformulate thousands of drugs already approved. Nicotine, well... that is a possibility, but then there would be black market sales of nicotine which could prove to be deadly.

Lacy, I totally concur with you about the other ingredients, but it is the Nicotine that is suspect and subject to a regulation scheme like the Nicotine Water ordeal.
In my opinion--and again just my opinion--Suppliers should start selling these starter kits with Zero Nicotine cartridges and throwing in a "Free started pack of the nicotine cartridges" thereby making a "Distinction"
between an attack on nicotine and an attack on the device and more difficult to ban the device --as you say and it is a good point "Good luck banning PG". I am sure there are many here that are old enough to remember those fake cigarettes they had in the 1970's that you inhaled and got a menthol taste--I have not seen them in years, but that is similar to what our device is now with a 0 nic cartridge in it. --Sun:confused:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Look at what happened in Australia as a preview of things to come. Understand first that the FDA doesn't have to prove a thing. It doesn't normally test things, either. It reviews the tests of others seeking to market a drug. All burden of proof is on the maker/marketer/applicant. The FDA considers our e-thingies to be "drug delivery devices" and the form of nicotine to be a "new drug." Nothing has been approved. Notices are being made now that they must be approved.

Start from that point and see what you extrapolate.

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
This is such an interesting situation from a political point of view.

If the governments of the western world hadn't passed all these anti-smoking laws, these devices may not have been brought to market or be so popular (at least not to quickly). The law of unintended consequences; don't ya just love it!

But what will they do about it? The "right" thing to do IMHO is regulate and tax it but it would be difficult to achieve the same level of tax with e-cigs I think (certainly here in the UK where the tax on normal cigs is insane). Can you imaging paying £100 for a 20ml bottle of juice?

The problem now-a-days (for many would-be regulated products/services, e.g., gambling) is the Internet, we can all now buy things from just about anywhere. They can ban e-cigs/juice very easily but how difficult would it be to purchase the consumables from abroad. Not very. Posting in serious quantities of regular cigarettes is not so easy given their bulk but the equivalent in e-cigs could be packaged extremely small.

Even if the government were to seriously inspect packages coming in from, say Hong Kong or mainland China, some enterprising person will just ship items to somewhere like Poland and then post them from there. (Or for the USA/Canada, ship to say Panama, overland to Mexico and then post from there.

But would people do it? Would people buy "illegally" in such a way?

I'm very curious to see where this will all go and I'm very seriously thinking about stocking up, especially with juice 'cos I have this horrible feeling that the government will just ban first and think about it later (or not at all).

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Lacy, I totally concur with you about the other ingredients, but it is the Nicotine that is suspect and subject to a regulation scheme like the Nicotine Water ordeal.
In my opinion--and again just my opinion--Suppliers should start selling these starter kits with Zero Nicotine cartridges and throwing in a "Free started pack of the nicotine cartridges" thereby making a "Distinction"
between an attack on nicotine and an attack on the device --Sun:confused:

Its interesting because it is my understanding that nicotine is listed in the homeopathic drug book. Regulations on nicotine are extremely confusing because they can be both FDA regulated, ATF regulated and then there is our type of nicotine liquid.

Nicotine water, they actually went through all of the proper channels, did as they were supposed to and then the anti-smoking groups ganged up on them and made their lives difficult. The FDA, IMO, simply complied with the anti-groups because it was easy for them to do so because frankly, was it a good product? Not really. Now, when these groups attempt to go after the e-liquid, I think there will be far more people/suppliers willing to stand up against a gang bang then there were with the water. Same with the fake cigs you were talking about. If the public didn't really care for them, it is easy for them to be attacked and then disappear.

K.P.

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2008
United Kingdom
The "right" thing to do IMHO is regulate and tax it

I beg to differ. The right thing to do is use some of the money from the extortionate taxes on cigarettes (you know, the money they said was meant to offset the strain on the NHS smokers cause and to fund non-smoking campaigns & research) to test their safety and effectiveness as a stop-smoking aid. Then, maybe if it's established that a e-cig habit is significantly more damaging (and straining on the NHS) than a coffee-habit or a high-fat diet, maybe tax them at the appropriate level and no further.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread