OBS Engine Coil Configurations

Status
Not open for further replies.

everway9

Dec 12, 2016
Hello everyone. I hope your all doing good today.
I have introduced myself in the 'New Members Forum'. :)

I have come here to ask all you knowledgeable people some questions regarding building coils for my new OBS Engine tank.

So, yeah... it's the OBS Engine. The original sized one. (not that the new "mini" Engine seems much smaller). I built the coils using the 2 core 'twisted pair' coils which came with it and also used the cotton which came with it too.

I have been told that I did a pretty good job for a first build, which was nice :) (see attached images). However I get quite a lot of popping and not much in the way of clouds. I'm using a VapeTronica 70/30 PG/VG based 1.8mg tobacco flavor liquid. The current coil reads at 0.18ohm and I have been using it at about 50 watts.

I have just purchased myself the following :

A reel of 24ga UD Kanthal A1 single core wire.
A packet of Cotton Bacon (by Wick 'N' Vape) Version 2.0 Cotton Wicking Material
A pack of 3 Kuro Concepts coil winders (2.0 2.5 and 3.0mm) which I think can make either single or parallel coils.

I understand that everyone has their own ways of building coils and what works for one may not be to the liking of others, but where would a good starting point be? I have watched a video on YouTube which shows how to make both single and parallel coils but how does the resulting vape differ, if it does? I'm also wondering what size the coils need to be compared to the original coils which came with it and what configuration produces what ohm's, how much cotton to use, what sort of wattage to use and, well, everything really :D

My goal is to make a configuration which will produce a good throat hit with some big clouds, with minimal popping/spitting. :)

So if you have a spare few minutes I would be extremely grateful for any input you may provide.

Many thanks in advance,

Andrew :)

15494147_1736714259980640_1513204025_n.jpg 15555810_1736714136647319_1363949390_n.jpg 15556024_1736713939980672_1285179774_n.jpg 15556075_1736714119980654_380463530_n.jpg 15571266_1736714209980645_67570327_n.jpg 15577497_1736713956647337_1969359314_n.jpg 15608542_1736713449980721_410841944_o.jpg Untitled.jpg

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
You can try dual parallels on it as well as twisted. I liked the Engine with a simple dual coil build with 26G SS and got nice flavor and cloud. I'm now using dual Claptons 26/32G SS 316L coming in a 0.22 ohm and getting terrific flavor and plenty of cloud (for me, I'm not a cloud chaser).

However, I never ran into an issue with spitting or popping except maybe the first puff after refilling. I can't tell from your photos, but I cut my wicks so the ends are in the holes, not through them. Some folks do run with longer wick, but I never found it necessary. Also, in those photos the wick appears to be sorta narrow/thin for the coils. A bit more cotton might help you out there. Best if they're are a bit tight when you insert them, but still able to move them with a little traction. You can try rewicking the coils you have and see if that helps before moving on to a new coil.

Reactions: everway9

everway9

Dec 12, 2016
Hi Eskie.

Thanks for your reply. I will try re wicking first before making new coils as you say.

To be honest I'm not a cloud chaser myself. I wasn't thinking right when I mentioned the clouds. I know that more clouds doesn't necessarily mean a bigger hit. Also some have said to me that the higher the nicotine content the bigger the hit but I my 1.8mg tobacco juice has a much bigger, harder hit than my 4mg jam on toast flavour juice does. Unless there is something wrong with the latter.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Hi Eskie.

Thanks for your reply. I will try re wicking first before making new coils as you say.

To be honest I'm not a cloud chaser myself. I wasn't thinking right when I mentioned the clouds. I know that more clouds doesn't necessarily mean a bigger hit. Also some have said to me that the higher the nicotine content the bigger the hit but I my 1.8mg tobacco juice has a much bigger, harder hit than my 4mg jam on toast flavour juice does. Unless there is something wrong with the latter.

When you say the hit, I'm assuming you mean throat hit. The hit doesn't come from just the nic, although that is one part. How much PG is in there (the more, the "stronger" the hit) and even flavorings like cinnamon will "amplify" the hit.

My experience with this tank is great flavor, lots of cloud (not a total positive for me) and a really smooth vape. I also use it in temp control mode as all my builds are SS. It you're getting popping and gurgling, look at your wicking. Get that down and this can be a really enjoyable tank. Good luck!

everway9

Dec 12, 2016
BTW my wick does go through the holes quite a bit and touches the base. I think you can just about see in one of the pictures that's taken from above. The pictures were taken by a Nokia 1020 (good at high res but poor at close ups) so if you haven't done so already you should be able to zoom in quite a bit. However the quality might have been lost a bit after uploading.

everway9

Dec 12, 2016
When you say the hit, I'm assuming you mean throat hit. The hit doesn't come from just the nic, although that is one part. How much PG is in there (the more, the "stronger" the hit) and even flavorings like cinnamon will "amplify" the hit.

My experience with this tank is great flavor, lots of cloud (not a total positive for me) and a really smooth vape. I also use it in temp control mode as all my builds are SS. It you're getting popping and gurgling, look at your wicking. Get that down and this can be a really enjoyable tank. Good luck!

Sorry... yes, I meant throat hit. :) My current juice is 70/30 PG/VG. Unfortunately due to the new laws in the UK my favourite juice which was 100% PG has been discontinued. It was made by a company called 'Blu' They have changed all their liquids recently. :(

Thanks again. :)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
100% PG would carry a solid punch. On the wicks, there are some folks who have had luck feeding the wick to the bottom of the juice well. My best experience is with the tails sitting in but not through. I do think you should just play around with the wicking, as that's the most likely source of the spitting/gurgling.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm currently re-wicking the coils but for future reference what changes the ohm rating of the coils? Is it something to do with how compressed, long, they are or what diameter they are?

Thanks. :)

Resistance is determined by the metal the wire is made from, the gauge, and the length of wire involved, which is obviously a function of both number of wraps as well as the internal diameter. There's an excellent coil wrap calculator at Steam Engine Coil wrapping

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Enjoy! Honest, it's a really great tank once you've got the build down, and after a few times rewicking, it's an incredibly east tank to maintain and build on. I have two and they are my ADV, pushing just about every other RTA I have to the back of the desk. The fact it's a top airflow and extremely leak resistant just adds to the joy. I can toss it in my pocket on a mod and not worry about a pocket full of juice. I'm also pretty new to building, so if I can get it built and wicked without much fuss, it's really as easy as others have posted.

Between the Engine and the Crius+, IMO, OBS is on a real winning streak.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Correct. One to each side. I have seen someone post photos of running a single coil on a diagonal, then dividing the wick so they could fill the 4 holes, but I wouldn't try that for now.

The two coils should be the same material, build (plain, Clapton, twisted), number of wraps and same resistance. When you install and lightly dry burn them, they should glow up the same on each side.

My biggest problem? Remembering the right number of wraps when I make the second coil.;)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Correct. One to each side. I have seen someone post photos of running a single coil on a diagonal, then dividing the wick so they could fill the 4 holes, but I wouldn't try that for now.

The two coils should be the same material, build (plain, Clapton, twisted), number of wraps and same resistance. When you install and lightly dry burn them, they should glow up the same on each side.

My biggest problem? Remembering the right number of wraps when I make the second coil.;)
On my Wotofo Sapor I'm running a single coil by plugging the second coil juice channels. I use 3.5mm audio jack dust protectors where I've removed the metal pin, like these:
$1.91 Free Shipping 3.5mm Audio Jack + Micro-USB Port Dust Plug Set for Cellphones (100-Pack) (Black, 100-Pack, Style-B) at m.FastTech.com

Works great, and I'm sure it'll work on the Engine as well.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

everway9

Dec 12, 2016

Thanks Eskie. :)

everway9

Dec 12, 2016
Reactions: KenD

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Thanks Ken D. Nice trick. :)
I'm very clever :D I've really wanted top airflow, single coil tanks for my Pico's. The Sapor Mini is great (and I'll order an Engine Mini soon), but dual coil of course. Wotofo and Obs should really do single coil versions of these RTAs, or at least include/offer single coil plugs.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm very clever :D I've really wanted top airflow, single coil tanks for my Pico's. The Sapor Mini is great (and I'll order an Engine Mini soon), but dual coil of course. Wotofo and Obs should really do single coil versions of these RTAs, or at least include/offer single coil plugs.

Those plugs are a great idea. Do be aware that the Engine mini is a tight fit on the Pico. If I'm not mistaken, you might have to screw the battery cap on after mounting the tank. Or it could be with another tank like the Goblin. Regardless, it can fit, but just barely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread