Status
Not open for further replies.

The Yeti

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2009
Black Hills, SD
I've been having some random Ody leaking - not repeateable, seems totally random - coming from the seam between the main tank body and the top cap (not the small top cap). Since day one, I thought that the o-ring at that seam was a little thin. It's definitely thinner than the o-ring at the bottom of the tank body, I get no resistance from it when screwing down the top cap.

Anyone else getting leaking here?

Also, this might be completely normal, but when I turn my Ody completely upside down, I get juice coming out of the mouthpiece. Not a big deal because my Ody doesn't spend much time upside down, but I still get juice on my hands every once in awhile because of this.

bpaulette

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2010
midwest
Actually - funny you should mention this one - I had noticed before, that o-ring wasn't making as much contact, but up until just a couple days ago, it hadn't leaked. I guess just enough time has passed, and enough compressions, and it started leaking very small amounts a couple days ago. Not like pooling, pouring out, not even dripping, just oozing very small amounts. I'd grab it, and then find a little smudge of it on my finger, and finally figured out that was where it was coming from.

Eventually I'll just get a thicker one, but today, I just removed that o-ring, and took a small piece of thin waxed dental floss, and wrapped it twice around in that divot, then put the o-ring back on, on top of it, and now its perfect, and I can feel it make contact when screwing on the top cap and no more leak.

On the upside down thing - I guess i'd never really held it for long upside down - I thought not, but I just held it like that for a couple minutes, and did end up with a tiny bit of juice in the palm of my hand - guess thats unavoidable. The amount I'm getting could just be from condensation on the inside of the mouthpiece. Either way, compared to my old CE2's which frequently dumped entire tankfulls into my pants pockets this is quite impressive

Last edited:

Oddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
UK
suppose it makes a difference with the viscosity of your liquid, but i get nothing out of mine from being upside down when juice control is closed, it stands to reason that some will leak if your juice control is open.

as for the top cap i get some droplets now and again a few mins after a refill, i believe is to be just residue from the top cap that reaches the threads while i'm refilling. as when i've done a rebuild with a totally clean system this is not apparent.

i do have a little concern though, where i see a potential little problem with mine is that where the top cap screws down to this o-ring i have a gap just under 1mm, and it seems that the top cap bottoms out on the tank before it seats properly with its o-ring. '~'

The Yeti

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2009
Black Hills, SD
...it started leaking very small amounts a couple days ago. Not like pooling, pouring out, not even dripping, just oozing very small amounts. I'd grab it, and then find a little smudge of it on my finger...

This is exactly my experience - not really leaking, just 'oozing' a bit now and again.

Eventually I'll just get a thicker one, but today, I just removed that o-ring, and took a small piece of thin waxed dental floss, and wrapped it twice around in that divot, then put the o-ring back on, on top of it, and now its perfect, and I can feel it make contact when screwing on the top cap and no more leak.

That's ingenous, I'll have to try that when I get home.

On the upside down thing - I guess i'd never really held it for long upside down - I thought not, but I just held it like that for a couple minutes, and did end up with a tiny bit of juice in the palm of my hand - guess thats unavoidable. The amount I'm getting could just be from condensation on the inside of the mouthpiece. Either way, compared to my old CE2's which frequently dumped entire tankfulls into my pants pockets this is quite impressive

Yeah, I was thinking about it last night after I posted, and I do think it's just condensation in the mouthpiece. Mine won't actully drip out of the tip, but if I touch the end of the mouthpiece after it's been upside down (or just tilted at an angle downward), I'll get a bit of juice/condensation on my finger (or whatever it touches). This is with the juice control open - I never close mine except for filling.

The Yeti

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2009
Black Hills, SD
i do have a little concern though, where i see a potential little problem with mine is that where the top cap screws down to this o-ring i have a gap just under 1mm, and it seems that the top cap bottoms out on the tank before it seats properly with its o-ring. '~'

Mine is the same way - very small gap between cap and tank body. Glad to hear it's not just mine. :)

The Yeti

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2009
Black Hills, SD
The o-rings crave some type of grease..any o-ring do anyways.

Try it,it might just cure your problems!

I lube mine regularly with vaseline, so that's not it.

I think that o-ring just needs to be a bit fatter to make good contact since there's that small gap caused by the cap bottoming out on the tank before seating the o-ring.

Oddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
UK
Oddy, could you please take a picture of your Odysseus showing the gap?

dsc01723p.jpg

posted this as per request, i'm in no way at all knocking the ody, i just feel as though maybe one little process out of the several thousand in making the ody was missed on mine and maybe some others. i have thought about taking a sanding pad to it to reduce the threads where it bottoms out but unsure whether this would affect its performance, may do that when i have a spare tank.

took this without the o-ring so the gap would show clearly, i've seem some with gaps and some that look much cleaner

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Wow, what a coincidence! I was just coming here to ask about this and I see you guys already started talking about it... Today, for the first time, I experienced leaking between the top cap and the body. It just started out of nowhere. It doesn't happen when my PV is standing up but it does if I lay it down for a few minutes.

Like others have stated, I've never felt the top o-ring compress, it feels more like a metal to metal connection and seal, and there is a very tiny gap between the body and the top cap but not anywhere close to 1mm.

Does anyone know the exact measurements for an o-ring that would be a good replacement? Thanks.

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Wow, what a coincidence! I was just coming here to ask about this and I see you guys already started talking about it... Today, for the first time, I experienced leaking between the top cap and the body. It just started out of nowhere. It doesn't happen when my PV is standing up but it does if I lay it down for a few minutes.

Like others have stated, I've never felt the top o-ring compress, it feels more like a metal to metal connection and seal, and there is a very tiny gap between the body and the top cap but not anywhere close to 1mm.

Does anyone know the exact measurements for an o-ring that would be a good replacement? Thanks.

Maybe a 16mmX2mm one? (the original is 16mmx1.5mm)

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
if Ody is overflooded then the excess liquid will come out from mouthpiece as to all atomizers yeti. As for the random leakage, please put a 1,5mm thick wick but doubled. I think a doubled 2mm wick will work too.

the o-ring between body and cap isnt nessesary as it was not nessesary to UFS too. But I put it just in case a small amound of liquid tries to come put, then it will be stopped by this o-ring. I didnt put this o-ring to really seal something. If someone wants to make a tighter fit between cap and body, he can put a 17x1,5 o-ring instead of the 16x1,5 that is there now
I've been having some random Ody leaking - not repeateable, seems totally random - coming from the seam between the main tank body and the top cap (not the small top cap). Since day one, I thought that the o-ring at that seam was a little thin. It's definitely thinner than the o-ring at the bottom of the tank body, I get no resistance from it when screwing down the top cap.

Anyone else getting leaking here?

Also, this might be completely normal, but when I turn my Ody completely upside down, I get juice coming out of the mouthpiece. Not a big deal because my Ody doesn't spend much time upside down, but I still get juice on my hands every once in awhile because of this.

Last edited:

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
the gap between cap and body is 0,2-0,3mm Oddy. Its nessesary because this way the body seals with the cap with its upper level,like UFS do.
suppose it makes a difference with the viscosity of your liquid, but i get nothing out of mine from being upside down when juice control is closed, it stands to reason that some will leak if your juice control is open.

as for the top cap i get some droplets now and again a few mins after a refill, i believe is to be just residue from the top cap that reaches the threads while i'm refilling. as when i've done a rebuild with a totally clean system this is not apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread