Ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with @bombastinator . Everything above 1.0 ohm is considered to be "standard" ohm. Everything below 1.0 ohm is considered to be "sub-ohm".

Opinions will vary, but I consider anything below 0.3 ohm to be super sub-ohm.

I can remember when I first began vaping with cartomizers and cartotanks, I was using 2.0 - 3.0 ohm cartos. Today I'm using 0.5 - 0.6 ohm drop in clearomizer coils or rebuildable coils for a RDA. :lol:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What’s the main difference between hi and lo resistance coils? Does it change the taste or the quantity of the vapor?
"In general"...

Lower Ohm Coils Will:
  • Thicker wire (more mass) heats slower than thinner wire (longer ramp up time)
  • Produce More Vapor
  • Drain The Battery Faster
  • Use E-Juice Faster
  • Produce A Warmer Tasting Vape
Higher Ohm Coils Will:
  • Thinner wire (less mass) heats faster than thicker wire (shorter ramp up time)
  • Produce “Less” Vapor
  • Provide A “Cooler” Tasting Vape
  • Use Less E-Juice
  • Less Drain on Your Battery
Some vapers will say they get more flavor with higher ohms, while others will say they get more flavor with lower ohms. It is a personal perception that will vary from one person to the next. In reality, flavor depends on a whole host of factors including the type of coils used, wick material used, type of juice delivery device (clearomizers, rebuildable atomizers), e-liquid used, etc, etc.

Last edited:

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
I will point out that simple, single round-wire unity coils (1.0 ohms +- 0.2ohms) provide an indisputably(1) better vape(2) than either sub-ohm or super-ohm coils.

(1) ok, it has been disputed, but the disputers are inarguably(1.1) wrong
(2) subjectively speaking, anecdotal evidence, sample size n=1, continued use may cause hair-loss, headaches, impotency, and righteousness.

(1.1) LA LA LA, I can't hear you ...

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
I agree with @bombastinator . Everything above 1.0 ohm is considered to be "standard" ohm. Everything below 1.0 ohm is considered to be "sub-ohm".

Opinions will vary, but I consider anything below 0.3 ohm to be super sub-ohm.

I can remember when I first began vaping with cartomizers and cartotanks, I was using 2.0 - 3.0 ohm cartos. Today I'm using 0.5 - 0.6 ohm drop in clearomizer coils or rebuildable coils for a RDA. :lol:
Isnt it almost impossible to ohm out at 1.0? Im at .42 and I was told that was high that .25 to .3 is a good range. I just put an extra wrap to ohm out at .r2 to save on battery life.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
It is quite common for me to have 0.11Ω coils in regulated devices (RDAs & RDTAs), tanks usually have 0.2Ω or 0.3Ω builds. Back in the day I used 1.5Ω or 1.8Ω coils in the Kayfun/Taifun.

I have fired a 0.03Ω build on the HΩ Wrecker G2 trying to get down to their reported 0.007Ω minimum resistance. That spec had to have been done in a lab setting or was a value on paper.

It was not uncommon for 0.09Ω Ni200 builds in the early days of TC. The resistance of a coil isn't as important on regulated mods, but it is a critical part of mechanical mod use.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Isnt it almost impossible to ohm out at 1.0? Im at .42 and I was told that was high that .25 to .3 is a good range. I just put an extra wrap to ohm out at .r2 to save on battery life.
I've seen quite a few 1.2Ω or higher builds running on a series deck with 4S PWM mods. The same density of vapor and flavor as sub ohm builds, but considerable less current draw on the cells.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
It is not hard to achive 1 ohm. I run 1.5 ohm coils in my ares tank (rta, for when I want a stealthy MTL option). You just have to know what wire to use to achieve the ohms you want to reach.
I never use MTL. I take huge giant long hits. I suck it in hard staight to my lungs.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I never use MTL. I take huge giant long hits. I suck it in hard staight to my lungs.
I normally do too, with 0.3-0.4 ohm coils. But it is nice to have an MTL option in my vape gear just in case I need to go somewhere clouds are not appreciated. That's the thing about respect, you gotta give it to get it, so sometimes that means MTL is the way to go.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
I normally do too, with 0.3-0.4 ohm coils. But it is nice to have an MTL option in my vape gear just in case I need to go somewhere clouds are not appreciated. That's the thing about respect, you gotta give it to get it, so sometimes that means MTL is the way to go.
Makes sense. I only vape at home. My vape never leaves the house. I paid 200 bucks for the Paranormal so I dont take it anywhere.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
It is quite common for me to have 0.11Ω coils in regulated devices (RDAs & RDTAs), tanks usually have 0.2Ω or 0.3Ω builds. Back in the day I used 1.5Ω or 1.8Ω coils in the Kayfun/Taifun.

I have fired a 0.03Ω build on the HΩ Wrecker G2 trying to get down to their reported 0.007Ω minimum resistance. That spec had to have been done in a lab setting or was a value on paper.

It was not uncommon for 0.09Ω Ni200 builds in the early days of TC. The resistance of a coil isn't as important on regulated mods, but it is a critical part of mechanical mod use.
I actually had a 0.007 coil last week, but not really on purpose: I only had NI200 30Ga wire to build a coil for TC vaping, but the posts of my RTA don’t hold 30Ga wire, it just slips out. Plus they’re really close together, you can only fit 4-5 wraps. So I wound a Clapton wire out of two pieces of NI200 30Ga, that way I could screw it onto the posts, but obviously the resistance was even lower than with a simple NI200 coil = 0.007.

EDIT: It was 0.07, not 007

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Makes sense. I only vape at home. My vape never leaves the house. I paid 200 bucks for the Paranormal so I dont take it anywhere.
That's understandable. I would probably do the same if I wasn't a chain vaper most of the time. I don't leave the house without at least one mod. Most of the time I am packing $300+ worth of mechs on me at any given time when I'm out and about. What's the point of having it if I can't use it when I need it?

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
really low ohm coils blow up batteries... really hi ohm coils just dont work ;)

depending on your mod and its abilities determine what ohm you will use... :)

.42 works perfect for me and its not hard on my battery. I use 30 amp batteries so I dont go near my battery capacity.
On my quad parallel Mech I will run a pair of coils @ 0.11Ω that's close to 40A and with quad Sony VTC5A's @ 25A CDR x 4 = 90A (I take 10% for safety). This certainly isn't stressing my batteries, not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread