OMG!!!! My battery justn now EXPLODED

Status
Not open for further replies.

5150Marley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
Shhhh its a secret. ;)
Well after reading this thread I went to Amazon and purchased the Lipo Battery Fireproof Bag Storage with free shipping for $6.80. For the cheap price it's worth having a little more security when charging batteries.

Thanks 5150Marley for posting the link about these bags....never heard of them till I read your post.

I thought other people might not know... glad it helped.

I just saw this article that also talks about battery safety..... probably something we rarely think about when we dispose of batteries.

http://themotherlist.com/fire-safety-video-must-watch/

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I do. I just need to find the charger.

You should be okay charging. You will need to replace the ruined battery and charger. Buy the replacements at the same place and make sure it states that the charger is for that specific battery. Only charge when you are awake and never overnight. I always just took charging things for granted myself. Then I discovered vaping and ECF. ;) I know better now!

SamNapolitanke

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
Tempe, AZ
I mean that sucker sounded like someone fired a gun in my house! Scared the hell out of me. Have no ides why this happened. I'll try to get some pictures. It was on fire and everything. Just a simple kgo battery on the charger. Thank goodness it was in my bedroom. I had thought about charging from my computer while checking out the ecf. Sure am glad I didn't. I don't think I'd have a face left if I had. Please be careful everyone! Dang it now I only have two batteries. Did I mention this scared the hell out of me?

OMG, maybe its because you friended lanceq!!!! :lol:

glad you're ok!

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Cig-a-like Charger
180ma. to 250ma. Your Battery charges off 420-500ma.
Likely the charger fried, overloaded and supercharged the battery overheating and expanding to the point it ruptured.

I was going to post just this. Sounds like a classic case of mismatched battery to charger and a battery that may have shorted out one too many times in the past, ruining the protection circuit and opening up the possibility for thermal runaway. Ego batteries are NOT IMR. They are the OTHER type of battery that we discourage people from using here on ECF.

The reason the eGo battery manufacturers get away with using the explosive type of battery is that they put protection circuits in each n every eGo. But the problem is that a protection circuit is only rated to work for 1 year. & we've got people using eGo batteries till they die, whether that be 1 year or 2 years into the use of the battery. When the battery's internal voltage begins sagging, the risk of a short is heightened. The battery also begins running hotter internally after 5-6 months or so. When this begins to happen, your going to start using the protection circuit a lot more than you would with a brand new battery. & the more your protection circuit cuts off the voltage to the atty, the more chances it has to stop working indefinitely. As soon as your protection circuit stops working indefinitely, there are two things that can happen: 1. Your eGo will stop firing forever 2. The next time you overcharge or short circuit your eGo battery, its going to experience thermal runaway and/or explosion.

Its possible that the little 510 charger you were using has a circuit in it that tells it when it's done charging a little cig-alike battery. Since your Kgo is regulated voltage, you didn't notice that it wasn't charging your battery fully. So each time you charged your Kgo, you were only charging it so far... And then you might of used it as if it was charged fully.. Did you ever allow it to die before charging it rather than putting it on the charger prior to it dying? This also weakens the protection of the battery. So it sounds like you were really stressing this little regulated voltage Kgo battery out pretty hard from all different angles. & if you were using low resistance coils on top of all of this, I can see why it got so stressed out it decided to jump off the office roof, so to speak.

Benzin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
Cancun MX
OP: Im glad it was just a scare and your'e OK.

A question (for anyone who might know) has poped in my head...

Dont these eGo eGo-type batteries have vent holes, weak spots, or some sort of safety measure in case the internal batteries go critical??? you know, so they just vent instead of exploding???

I mean, the first safety feature we all look for in our mods, is that they have vent holes!

Fisheeboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Colorado, USA
Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392686628585.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392686628585.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 558

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Please do read my response on the page prior to this one, so it won't get lost & unread.

I use a generic eGo charger for my two eGo batteries, but I plug them into a cellphone charger's AC adaptor. I posted a thread about this a while back and I made sure that the battery geeks here on ECF approved of me doing this before I kept at it. They did approve after I posted the specs of the battery and the AC adaptor. You really have to be careful mixing AC adaptors and the little eGo or 510 charge ports. Some of them don't match up too well and this is the kind of thing that winds up happening. & then someone hungry for some attention can call their local news station and blame it on the manufacturer, which ruins the image of e-cigs all together of course.

Dont these eGo eGo-type batteries have vent holes, weak spots, or some sort of safety measure in case the internal batteries go critical??? you know, so they just vent instead of exploding??? I mean, the first safety feature we all look for in our mods, is that they have vent holes!

Please read my post on the last page. Unfortunately, eGos use a type of battery that is explosive in nature. They can explode rather than vent hot gas and catch fire. They aren't IMR batteries. Most eGo/Cig-Alike manufacturers contend that since they use these explosive bats rather than IMR batteries, they use a protection circuit and that the cap will shoot off in the event of an explosion, saving your teeth/throat from a stainless steel drip tip to the uvula like a rocket to a speed bag. You cannot have an IMR battery the size of a cig-alike or an eGo and keep the mah rating as high as eGo batteries can go. IMR batteries just don't work that way. If you'd like an eGo battery with an external 14500 IMR battery, you'll have to look at the e-power series of eGo batteries, but they only have 600-700mah capacity.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I'll have to get my dad to help me with the pics. I aint so computer savy. I don't even have a camera on my phone. My house stinks so bad right now. Burnt plastic and lord knows what else

I think I know the smell partly; had a meltdown once; started getting hot in my hand first; dropped it on the floor when it started smoking;

thats why I now use 510-eGo adapters plus eGo cone base on top of my mods for added separation between tank and power to ensure leaking liquid does NOT get down inside the battery 510 threadwell; that threadwell is not sealed, and when liquid gets down there on the electronics never know what might happen; might just die quietly or might go out with a bang.

Glad you're ok.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
OP: Im glad it was just a scare and your'e OK.

A question (for anyone who might know) has poped in my head...

Dont these eGo eGo-type batteries have vent holes, weak spots, or some sort of safety measure in case the internal batteries go critical??? you know, so they just vent instead of exploding???

I mean, the first safety feature we all look for in our mods, is that they have vent holes!

I have several eGo's laying around just for backup. They do not look like they have vent holes. It does look like the bottom should break away in case of something going wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread