Omg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
I'm the one that closed it, due to the off topic nature of it. It was a temporary close, planned on giving it 24 hours.

yes nerdy,apparently some of us arent allowed to go off topic anymore...even though every single thread on this board goes off topic...selective censorship at its best...its sad,this used to be such a great forum.

dnakr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2008
Virginia, USA
Mr. Darcy I can understand why you are upset - it was your thread, and yes everyone does go "off topic" but it was the "off topic subject" that was not allowed.

CaSHMeRe said it was a temporary close. Hopefully when he re-opens it - it will stay on the topic you meant it for.

Ditto what Nazareth said.

Last edited:

NerdyCinderella

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2008
Gotham City
I don't agree Naz and dnakr. We are adults and should be able to express ourselves even if it an expression of anger and allowed to read what others get upset about.

"I say come'on folks have you read other forums!" That thread never reached anything close to what is common on other forums.

As far as racial comments go, everyone seems to be enjoying the thread "Chinglish at the Olympics." It seems to me there are arbitrary decisions being made about what is offensive.

Besides there are so many other ways to deal with disagreeable posts besides deleting and closing posts.

Just my two cents

From an adult who would like to decide myself what I want to read or not read.

Last edited:

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
party.gif

As far as racial comments go, everyone seems to be enjoying the thread "Chinglish at the Olympics." It seems to me there are arbitrary decisions being made about what is offensive.

Neither the original comment in question nor the thread in reference here are appropriate. Period.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
I wasn't quite sure about the term either... chinglish... and did some reading about it shortly after coming onto the board. It seems well accepted as a term of fact, it has a specific meaning and isn't a people descriptor. Which is probably why it's used by The New York Times, where I found the article. That could change in the future, like anything else.

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
listen up folks...the thread wasnt closed because of racist comments,that had nothing to do with it.

the thread was closed because of over reaction by the new moderator,because he wanted to censor our protests against what was shoddy,badly executed and insulting moderation...thats arbitrary censorship,the quashing of freedom of speech,and not allowing people to express perfectly justifiable opinions...everything i thought this forum stood firm against...well it used to anyway...

i never made any racist comments,neither did kit...what i did do was express an opinion about the manner in which moderation is being conducted at the moment,in general,which im well within my rights to do...and because of this,my posts were deleted,i was insulted,and a 5 star thread closed-which has never happened before on this forum ever...

ive seen posts with huge arguments and personal insults on this forum...including someone being described as "looking like a serial killer",and someone else "looking like a paedophile" by other forum members...well,absolutely no action was taken there...ive seen posts which had very dodgy comments if you want to be strictly PC,and those threads were not closed...so i want to know what the hell is going on here?

and i,a long term member,with an impeccable record,have been censored and lost the freedom of expression because i dared to question the infallibility of a new moderator...

its an absolute disgrace,and a sad day for this forum.

Last edited:

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Darcy, Never once did I state that either you or Kit made a racist comment.

I deleted the posts after the initial racial comment by Trog, that was quoted by Jamie.

On the deletion of the post, it asked for a reason. "Due to Racial Comment" or the like was the response to the deletion. The ensuing 4 posts by Jamie, Kit123, and Jarvis were all in regards to this "racial comment" Once the mistake was brought up by Kit, I quickly changed the reason to "Cleaning Up" This was all done in about 4-5 minutes time. Maybe a member or two saw this, and I later apologized to Kit for the misunderstanding.

The thread was temporarily closed to cool some jets. I had every intention of reopening it once everyone had a clear head (Which you will now see is back open and has been for about an hour) I deleted all off topic material related to the issue.

If you have a problem with me, I ask that you PM me and hopefully we can work it out privately. If you feel I wronged you or someone, let me know. This is a public forum, you're right, but it is also privately owned and operated with rules and guidelines.

I've made my peace with the subject.

EDIT: You seem to love the fact of posting how new I am. No doubt, been at this for a week, still have a few kinks to work out. Want me to add an announcement to the entire board?

Last edited:

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
Folks- enough- seriously! You do NOT have 'freedom of speech' in private forums- you are being allowed to post here but the privelege is just that- A privelege that is earned- Every forum gets to make up their own rules as to what is allowed and not allowed- if you don't liek it, or anyone else doesn't liek it, then quite frankly, too bad. Continuing to argue abotu it will accomplish nothign constructive-

Cash- you tried to allow furhter discussion, but apparently, this is just goign to go on and on with noone respectign your right as moderator- so perhaps just lock both htreads- it's apparent people aren't goign to do the right htign and respect your position or decisions, amnd agree to move on so just lock hte darn htings and let that be that- We have great freedoms on htisforum, but there does have to be limits or shoudl be limits rather, and it is up to moderators to decide for htemselves- not for hte posters to try to bully moderators into deciding what shoudl and hsouldn't be allowed! Again- these are privately funded forums, and if someoen doesn't liek how htey are run, then htey are free to start their own forums and to instate hteir own rules- Until then- let us rerspect others and appreciate our position as GUESTS in this forum!

the perception of 'freedom' is a false perception- If I go into someone's house as a guest, say somethign they object to, get confronted abotu it, and refuse to let it drop- they are fully within their right to throw me out- the same applies to the itnernet as we the guests are not hte ones who pay hte bills or contribute to the upkeep mantainance etc, and hterefore have no right tryign to dictate the rules of hte house.

I come here to read posts about relevent subjects, and have nejoyed doing so, but lately, things have been a bit heated, and the joy of ocming here is diminishing for me as a result- let's just all get back to stayign on topics, and commenting relevent issues regardign thread topics abotu hte products of esmoking?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread