On stockpiling after FDA deeming regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Canada is run by 2 provinces (Ontario and Quebec) and they are also the tobacco producing provinces so they have to keep smoking alive.
With these liberals in Office we're pretty much screwed at this point, they are so tax happy I'm probably going to have to pay 10k tax on my gravestone lol.. Cheaper to die now should have kept smoking :D

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I'm curious, what kind of plastic is it? There should be a number in a recycling triangle on the bottom of the bottles.

Based on my testing, there's not a huge difference between storage in glass and PET ("1") plastic, but I'm far less confident in other types of plastic. Unfortunately, it's difficult to test other kinds, because they generally aren't clear, meaning you can't judge the color change of the nic.

A couple of points. I have read the nic storage testing you have done and I fully concur that freezing is the way to go for long term storage and that as far as color goes there seems to be no difference between PET and glass. However, without a detailed chemical analysis we do not know if anything leeched in the plastic bottles are not. I mean, if clear plastic is leeching into clear liquid, would you see it?

On the other hand, if there was any leeching, it would probably be minimal anyway as only so much can leech from a bottle before all available free atoms for leeching have been absorbed and chances are good that it already reached equilibrium during packaging and shipping anyway. If leeching was a continuous process, then eventually the bottle would completely dissolve.

Really, I do not ever see me transferring a 30ml PET bottle to a 30ml glass bottle. To me the primary reason to transfer bottles would be to break down a larger (say 1L) bottle into smaller (like 30ml) bottles in order to reduce freeze/thaw cycles on the juice. however, if you are going to be breaking them down anyway, you may as well go ahead and use glass, just in case.

Bottom line I would store large bottles in the PET they were shipped in, in the freezer. Then when I need more I would thaw it and transfer it into 30ml glass bottles (28.32ml each, since that makes exactly 2 of my 236ml juice @6mg/ml). Every couple of months I would thaw out a 30ml bottle to make 2 bottles of my juice, until I needed to break down another liter. This way the nic only ever gets thawed twice.

Edit: Speaking of freeze/thaw cycles, I would imagine that, just like with food, a manual defrost deep freeze would keep the juice better than a self/auto defrosting freezer since manuals do not have periodic warming cycles. I know meat and ice cream definitely keep better for longer in a manual defrost freezer.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Cigs went up to 18.00 a pack for premium ciggys here in BC
So a liter of nic base can still be bought for about the same price as a carton of smokes. That liter makes enough liquid to last the average vaper three to five years, while a carton of smokes lasts the average smoker seven to ten days....

IMO after the government figures out the actual amount of people who are vaping vs smoking then maybe the tax dollars saved from smoke related illness they are going to tax vaping to be just as expensive as smoking.
I think it will be difficult for any government to tax something that a person already owns and has tucked away in his or her freezer. :)

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
The auto defrost became a concern of mine, too. I have most of my nicotine in an auto defrost freezer. My solution to the defrost cycle is to wrap the bottles in multiple layers of bubble wrap for insulation and then bury under several large items of frozen food.

A couple of points. I have read the nic storage testing you have done and I fully concur that freezing is the way to go for long term storage and that as far as color goes there seems to be no difference between PET and glass. However, without a detailed chemical analysis we do not know if anything leeched in the plastic bottles are not. I mean, if clear plastic is leeching into clear liquid, would you see it?

On the other hand, if there was any leeching, it would probably be minimal anyway as only so much can leech from a bottle before all available free atoms for leeching have been absorbed and chances are good that it already reached equilibrium during packaging and shipping anyway. If leeching was a continuous process, then eventually the bottle would completely dissolve.

Really, I do not ever see me transferring a 30ml PET bottle to a 30ml glass bottle. To me the primary reason to transfer bottles would be to break down a larger (say 1L) bottle into smaller (like 30ml) bottles in order to reduce freeze/thaw cycles on the juice. however, if you are going to be breaking them down anyway, you may as well go ahead and use glass, just in case.

Bottom line I would store large bottles in the PET they were shipped in, in the freezer. Then when I need more I would thaw it and transfer it into 30ml glass bottles (28.32ml each, since that makes exactly 2 of my 236ml juice @6mg/ml). Every couple of months I would thaw out a 30ml bottle to make 2 bottles of my juice, until I needed to break down another liter. This way the nic only ever gets thawed twice.

Edit: Speaking of freeze/thaw cycles, I would imagine that, just like with food, a manual defrost deep freeze would keep the juice better than a self/auto defrosting freezer since manuals do not have periodic warming cycles. I know meat and ice cream definitely keep better for longer in a manual defrost freezer.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
So a liter of nic base can still be bought for about the same price as a carton of smokes. That liter makes enough liquid to last the average vaper three to five years, while a carton of smokes lasts the average smoker seven to ten days....

It's not like this in the rest of the Country but here in Ontario, while legal cigarettes are about 14-15$ a pack in my area for premium brands a very large portion of people, like 50% of the cigarettes smoked in Ontario are purchased from Native American Reservations, cheap bagged smokes ranged from 10$ to 20$ a carton, the higher quality Native smokes like DK/Putters/Menage range from 35$ to 45$ per carton and the premium cigarettes are about 60$ to 80$ a carton on the Reserve.

Like I said this doesn't apply to the whole country, here in Ontario we have a massive problem with contraband tobacco but that's the governments fault for taxing the poor by over taxing tobacco cigarettes and people aren't standing for it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

And you wonder why Tobacco Stocks are starting to take a Dive?

And with most States and the Fed swimming in Red Ink, why we are seeing such a Renewed Effort to Demonize e-Cigarettes.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
here in Ontario we have a massive problem with contraband tobacco
We? Who is this "we" that has a problem? ;)

but that's the governments fault for taxing the poor by over taxing tobacco cigarettes and people aren't standing for it.
Bingo. There is always a practical limit to how much tax revenue can be extracted before a material number of people begin to say, "no mas!"

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Sorry; I had most of the following done this morning, but didn't have time to finish it before I had to go off and do real work.

A couple of points. I have read the nic storage testing you have done and I fully concur that freezing is the way to go for long term storage and that as far as color goes there seems to be no difference between PET and glass.
If there are differences, they are pretty minor up to this point, but I will keep it all going to see if that changes.

However, without a detailed chemical analysis we do not know if anything leeched in the plastic bottles are not. I mean, if clear plastic is leeching into clear liquid, would you see it?
Doubtful. However, I have mixed with nic that spent 2-1/2 years in the freezer in PET bottles (I'd forgotten I had that batch!) and I did not detect anything "plasticy" or otherwise "off" about it.

I think the concern with "plastic leeching" is not so much the base material itself but the plasticizer additives that make it soft and flexible. I suspect this is less of a concern with PET than some of the other plastics, but I'm not certain.

Agreed, if a person is going to re-bottle, I would certainly recommend glass and polycone caps. If I was ordering glass bottles for that purpose, I would order clear ones, because there is no light in my freezer, and unlike amber or cobalt blue, clear would allow me to evaluate the condition of the nic periodically without opening the bottles. Repeated opening is likely no bueno, as it would allow fresh air/oxygen into the bottle.

As of right now, my conclusion is: Storage temperature is far more important than whether the nic is in glass or PET plastic. The less time it spends at room temperature or higher the better. In fact, I would avoid ordering nic during the hottest part of the year.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada

Ya...isn't that something. I saw a old girl the other day buy a carton of smokes that was 135.00 and those were the cheap sawdust ciggys. Id have to ask how much for a carton of premium cigs. Pouch of 50g rollie tobac is 38 bucks. Gas just today jumped up from 1.30 a liter to 1.39. We have a "Tax the masses" liberal government in now that are treating themselves to elaborate everything on our dime.
My wife and I vape uncontrollably for less than 20 bucks a month, it would be even less but I buy the more expensive Canadian nic not to have border issues importing nic.

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
I had forgotten about this thread when I ordered a liter of 100mg/ml nic from EcigEpress for $49.99 minus my loyalty points. The $15 UPS shipping was a bummer, but it's on the way. Reviews say it's anywhere from water clear to a slight pale yellowish tint and the reviews are good. We'll see how it looks when it gets here.

I like ecigexpress nic. been using it a few years now. I vape unflavored.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
So, I'm going to set aside a batch of 30 ml, and on a day when my atties are all pretty much empty all at once start using that 30 ml until it's used up to see how far it goes now.
Started the experiment today. So, I'll find out in about a week.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Started the experiment today. So, I'll find out in about a week.
Experiment done. 30ml took 8 days to go through. So 3.75 ml per day.

I had originally estimated based on 3 ml/day at 18 mg/ml. Now, it's 3.75/day at 12 mg/ml. That would be a liter every 6 years! But, I'll estimate at 4.5 ml/day (5 years/liter) to allow lots of leeway for waste.

Now I just have to wait to see how fast my sister goes through the 90 mls that I just gave her. I may not need to buy any more after all.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Nude nicotine is celebrating Canada's decision. 2 coupon code for Canadian customers it is "ProudToBeACanadian" and for Americans it is "WishIWasACanadian"
They should have added a 3rd one
"GladIamNotInSF"

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
So glad I started stockpiling the minute I saw vaping would work for me. I am sort of a "hope for the best prepare for the worst" kind of person. I have a ton of flavors (and I will creatively get more, I'm pretty sure, regardless of what it takes) and I have 7 liters and 1 gallon of nic stored.. I am a MTL vaper, it's probably over-kill that and the number of "backups" I have, including a couple mechs.

I'm still outraged. It's keeping my mind off my mom's visit (arrival time 5 p.m.) but that doesn't really make it GOOD.

Off to vacuum and make spaghetti sauce shortly..,. I will say, at least we are ORGANIZED. There is that. If we ever have another housefire, I will request a return visit. :lol::lol: Oh we've been working diligently but something about (my at least) mommy, makes me feel that ALL must be organized, it was a good motivator.

SF, I don't wish anything bad upon you, but srsly NO FLAVORS? (Wondering if police dogs are being trained to identify vaping flavors and how many and etc.)

Anna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
but srsly NO FLAVORS?
From a purely pragmatic perspective, it's a pretty weak-sauce law. Apparently its still legal to sell short-fill bottles of unflavored juice and separate flavor-shots, so the effect on anyone who vapes an open system (like just about everyone here) should be relatively minimal, even if they don't DIY and haven't stockpiled.

The folks this is going to be toughes on are the ones who like pre-filled pods, e.g. Juul, and of course those who still smoke menthol cigarettes, or use flavored oral tobacco products.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
From a purely pragmatic perspective, it's a pretty weak-sauce law. Apparently its still legal to sell short-fill bottles of unflavored juice and separate flavor-shots, so the effect on anyone who vapes an open system (like just about everyone here) should be relatively minimal, even if they don't DIY and haven't stockpiled.

The folks this is going to be toughes on are the ones who like pre-filled pods, e.g. Juul, and of course those who still smoke menthol cigarettes, or use flavored oral tobacco products.

Weak sauce today, wait tomorrow is another day. They will be back, a step today, another tomorrow and on and on. The control freaks and those who know best will never ever stop.

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
Nude nicotine is celebrating Canada's decision. 2 coupon code for Canadian customers it is "ProudToBeACanadian" and for Americans it is "WishIWasACanadian"
Of course I just bought another liter of nic from NN 3 weeks ago without a coupon code. And yes, I do wish I was Canadian...

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I think the concern with "plastic leeching" is not so much the base material itself but the plasticizer additives that make it soft and flexible. I suspect this is less of a concern with PET than some of the other plastics, but I'm not certain.

Actually, from the info I've read on more than a few websites, and have referenced them with links in other threads...PET is not one of the plastics that doesn't leech. That's why it's manufactured for only 1-time use and is not recommended for reuse at all. Those that don't leech are PP, LDPE, and HDPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread