The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Online recipe database and calculator

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by daath, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. daath

daath Moved On ECF Veteran

Dec 16, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I've been obsessed with creating an advanced online recipe database with a calculator.

So far I have done:

• User registration
    • Create recipe (and create based on another)
    • Save recipe
    • Rate recipe
    • Toplists
    • Lists
    • See my recipes
    • Add/remove favorites
    • See favorites
    • Sorting
    • Comment on recipe
    • Localization (danish/english)
    • Google translate option on notes and comments (when you use English, a "Translate" link appears below notes and comments).
    • Save user default values for recipes

A few things are missing yet. What I can think of:

• Free text search
    • "I have these flavors"-type search
    • Paging
    • Users can have the same display name
    • Forgot password
    • Remember login

Apart from this, everything should work. Have a go at it!

Comments, ideas, etc here or by using the "Feedback" on "My page" on the site.

I'm wondering what it will take for people to start using it? It's free, easy, fast - It should be a great way to share recipes. Plus I listen to every suggestion! :)

2. daath

Dec 16, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Fixed a few bugs! Apparently I should sleep more! ;)

3. Cajun83

Cajun83 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Marrero, Louisiana
    That's pretty cool stuff daath... good work. Will be sweet when the database starts filling up.

4. daath

Dec 16, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Thanks :) I'm pretty excited about it myself - I hope that people will use it :)
    I wish I had a bunch of great recipes to put in ;)

5. PoliticallyIncorrect

PoliticallyIncorrect Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 31, 2010
    SoCal
    Very, very cool. An online slice of vaping folklore.

Two suggestions:

1) If anybody wanted to try mixing something they saw, knowing the manufacturer of, for instance, Mellow Sunset would be helpful.

2) Translations of comments left in a foreign (to me) tongue would help also. I have no idea what language is use with Nikotinvæsken er "traditional" fra FA, let alone what was said.

6. daath

Dec 16, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    PoliticallyIncorret, Yes, that's kind of the problem with the flavors - One needs to either include it in the name, or write it in the notes or comments.

The site is either in Danish or English though, so google translate should get it. translate url...

Mellow Sunset and the others are from FlavourArt I think (that's the "FA" part of the note)...

7. daath

Dec 16, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    PoliticallyIncorrect - I've implemented google translate on the notes and the comments, if you've on the English UI :) It's machine translation, so it's usually more fun than correct - but it's better than nothing ;)

8. lynleestar

lynleestar Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 13, 2010
    NW Indiana
  9. banjo

banjo Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2010
    Rio Oso, CA
    I tried it & have it bookmarked. The total drops function when using more or less than 10ml goal doesn't function properly, but a great idea. Thanks for posting.

10. daath

Dec 16, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    @banjo - Can you elaborate? What goes wrong when you input what? The numbers I input looks about right, when I try...

11. banjo

banjo Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2010
    Rio Oso, CA
    Just tried it again and it seems fine now. The first time I tried, the total drops read something like: 610.100410001 - a really weird number

12. daath

Dec 16, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I guessed that was the case, so I just rounded the percentage, that fixed it :) Thanks for pointing me in the general direction :D
    The site is gonna rock :D

13. daath

Dec 16, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Editing and deleting your own recipes has been implemented ;)

14. daath

Dec 16, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Now you can check "Set these base values as default" to have your preferences set on save. All the base values will be pre-filled in future recipes :)

15. mauzey

mauzey Super Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 19, 2010
    Washington State
    Cool Idea, but I think there might be a problem with the basic math percentages,

If I want to make an 80VG 20PG mix using 100%VG Nic juice 100mg/ml strength at 25mg finished nic level with 10% Flavoring I should be using this:

25% Nic
    55% VG Dilutent
    10% PG Dilutent
    10% PG Flavouring

But the Calc says to use this:
    25% VG Nic
    18% PG Dilutent
    47% VG Dilutent
    10% Flavoring

I thing my math is right, but if not someone can set me straight.

Thanks
    Jeff~

16. daath

Dec 16, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    You're probably right. But the calculator gives the correct percentages, according to one assumption. The flavoring is neither counted as PG nor VG - It counts just like water/vodka/pga.

Would it be most correct to let the flavor count as PG, are most flavors diluted with that?

17. mauzey

Supporting member
    Oct 19, 2010
    Washington State
    Oh I see, I believe it should be counted as PG, as that is more or less the accepted practice.

Thanks,
    Jeff~

18. daath

Dec 16, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Ok, thanks Jeff! If it is indeed the accepted norm, I will of course change it to PG!

19. mauzey

Supporting member
    Oct 19, 2010
    Washington State
    There are some flavors that are suspended in VG as well, so an option of either would be the best course of action. but I believe PG Flavoring is the most prevalent, of course their may be others with an opinion ;)

20. daath

Dec 16, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I thought of the option, but then you should have the option for each flavor... Maybe I should just add a PG/VG radio button that goes for all flavors in that recipe, or do the "PG contents of flavor"/"VG contents of flavor" here as I did with nic juice...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.