Online recipe database and calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

daath

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ah ok, I didn't notice it - He just gave prices for the new L v2: 179$ with shipping, 209$ with JD and shipping and 39$ for JD with shipping... A bit more expensive than I anticipated. And strangely he switched to non-anodized aluminium. Odd.

But the rounding seems ok to me? I only use 1 decimal... So 1 drop at 20 drops/ml is 0.05ml and gets rounded to 0.1 and so forth - Isn't that what's happening, or did I miss something? :D

Oh and thanks! And thanks for checking it out :)

mauzey

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2010
Washington State
Ah ok, I didn't notice it - He just gave prices for the new L v2: 179$ with shipping, 209$ with JD and shipping and 39$ for JD with shipping... A bit more expensive than I anticipated. And strangely he switched to non-anodized aluminium. Odd.

But the rounding seems ok to me? I only use 1 decimal... So 1 drop at 20 drops/ml is 0.05ml and gets rounded to 0.1 and so forth - Isn't that what's happening, or did I miss something? :D

Oh and thanks! And thanks for checking it out :)

Hey daath, I think the problem comes with small scale, If you are making a 3ml test batch, when you have a 2% flavor level and the calc is telling you to put in .1 ML @ 2 drops, when in fact it should be .06ml @ 1 Drop. Seems small, but I think that it may make more of a difference to small batches where the difference between one or drops of flavor can be noticeable. Sorry to be a nitpicker. :blush:

daath

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
mauzey, You're very right. But the rounding is in the ml - So lets say you're doing a 3ml test batch @ 24mg all PG with a 100mg nic, you set one flavor to 1% and the other to 2% - now both read 0.1ml (but it's really 0.05 and 0.1) but it still reads 1 and 2 drops respectively. The final percentage will read 1.7% and 3.3% - But that's OK, right? You really only look at the drops when you actually make your juice?

Please correct me if I'm wrong :D

PS. Btw I wasn't aware you could add friends?! Cool :)

Uncle Screwtape

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2010
NE-IL
I don't know if I'm alone out here, but I have never used drops as a measurement. I use syringes and pipettes for all of my mixing. I have some very small syringes, 0.3ml with a 29 gauge needle, that I use for many of the thinner flavorings, drops would be tiny out of those, probably 100+ per ml. And VG out of a 14 gauge needle could be huge, perhaps 10 to 15 per ml. For accuracy ml is the standard for DIY e-juice.

As mauzey said, a small batch really can't use drops. A 3ml test batch may only have 60 drops all together. How would you put in 1% of something?

Maybe it's my engineering training. lol We are a picky bunch.

mauzey

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2010
Washington State
I always use pipettes and syringes as well, and I stopped trying to make small batches(3ml) as a test, they never really scale up well, but there are going to be people that will try . I usually whip up a 10 ml mix to start off with. Anyhow, a lot of people are not getting 1 and 2 ml pipettes and pipette pumps and do go by drops.

daath, I think if you just show 2 past the decimal on your ml reading, they would see how close it is, if they see those ml numbers both at .1 they will gripe about it, if they see that it is .02 and .08 it looks right and they can see why your calling out for 1 drop for one, and 2 drops for two. does that make sense?

Thanks,
Jeff~

daath

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wow you guys like your exact numbers ;) I definitely see your points though. Almost all I know use drops, but at small batches it would be nice to see how much you are off when using drops!

mauzey, Your suggestion is good. I have implemented it. It uses two decimals now.

I am still thinking about the PG/VG/other in flavorings though ;)

Thanks a bunch for your feedback so far!

mauzey

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2010
Washington State
What I'm thinking too: Flavor wishlist, flavor stash, free text search, search by flavors (i-have-these-what-can-i-make-type search)...

Daath, "My Flavor inventory" and Your idea for a search by flavor would be great additions to an over all DIY web application.

Keep at it and Thanks.
Jeff~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread