opinions on wick

Status
Not open for further replies.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
so i have been using the standard spun and twisted amorphous silica for years now in my rebuildable devices
im about to run out and i started looking into getting more of the same and found a great amount of new products on the market.
i wanted to get your opinion on what the best wick is for my devices..

im using a normal rebuildable dripper (nimbus)
and a rebuildable bottom coil tank (fogger v3)
the wick needs to be flexible
things i will NOT use for wick include Cotton, SS Mesh, SS cable and ceramic rod / post.
Thank you for your input. :vapor:

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
you guys are aware that Cotton starts to decompose at temps above 150 degrees Celsius right?
PG boils at 188 C and VG boils at 290 C. so your most definitely decomposing the cotton....

also, why are you posting here if your bringing nothing to the conversation. just seems like a big waste of time to me.

Well, that's a pretty poor attitude for someone named Happy. You eliminated all of the popular wicking materials, what did you expect?Frankly, if I'm vaping decomposing cotton, just call me a Vape Zombie!! I loves me some decomposing cotton!!

zombie_walk_lg_clr.gif

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Well, that's a pretty poor attitude for someone named Happy. You eliminated all of the popular wicking materials, what did you expect?Frankly, if I'm vaping decomposing cotton, just call me a Vape Zombie!! I loves me some decomposing cotton!!

View attachment 324033

people get really upset when i tell them some very simple facts about cotton. do what you want. vape what you want.
just know to the best of your ability what it is that your are doing / vaping.
find me someone with a PHD in chemistry / material science, that can prove that using cotton for wick in an e-cig is just as safe as amorphous silica.
then i will consider cotton as a viable option for e-cig wick.

Last edited:

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
after doing some research, i can not find any information about the chemical composition of the "ready X wick" AKA XC 116...
according to RBA Supplies LLC the XC 116 is a united states protected technology and is not supposed to be shipped out of the USA....
because i can not find any information about the chemical composition nor will this information become available any time soon i can not consider this material as a suitable replacement for amorphous silica.

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
you guys are aware that Cotton starts to decompose at temps above 150 degrees Celsius right?
PG boils at 188 C and VG boils at 290 C. so your most definitely decomposing the cotton....

also, why are you posting here if your bringing nothing to the conversation. just seems like a big waste of time to me.

So figure it out for yourself. Sheesh!

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
So figure it out for yourself. Sheesh!

what exactly would you recommend i "go figure out".

i asked for opinions on types of wick, i specifically excluded some common types of wick.
the first 3 comments are people saying, "i have no idea, i use this wick that you specifically excluded"
WHY on earth would you waste your time, is beyond me. :facepalm:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
people get really upset when i tell them some very simple facts about cotton. do what you want. vape what you want.
just know to the best of your ability what it is that your are doing / vaping.
find me someone with a PHD in chemistry / material science, that can prove that using cotton for wick in an e-cig is just as safe as amorphous silica.
then i will consider cotton as a viable option for e-cig wick.

What if I lack a PHD in either of those, but I am willing to do a sample analysis on the vapor produced by cotton wick? I have not yet, but I could do that, I just need to know what sort of materials to test for when I get my sample analyzed...

This is a serious question, if you are interested, I will pursue it.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
EddardinWinter do you use cotton wick?
what type of analysis would you be able to run?

i feel the like the test should include the following. i propose something like a 2.0 ohm "nano" coil on an organic cotton wick. (seems to be a very popular rig)
the cotton vapors might boil the cotton and dry it out before making the wick, some do not. some people say non boiled cotton has a funny taste (this probably will effect the end result to some degree)
for the e-liquid i would say 50/50 PG / VG blend with flavor.
the rig would need to be used for while. run like 6-8 mL of eliquid (just vaping like you normally would), then the test vapor can be extracted. this is in order to get test vapor from actual operating conditions.
how many watts this rig should be vaped is hard to say, i would say crank it up to the point where it makes the most vapor with out tasting too funky or burnt.

something along the lines of this for a cotton rig to test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HstiYiC_ZN8

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
EddardinWinter do you use cotton wick?
what type of analysis would you be able to run?

i feel the like the test should include the following. i propose something like a 2.0 ohm "nano" coil on an organic cotton wick. (seems to be a very popular rig)
the cotton vapors might boil the cotton and dry it out before making the wick, some do not. some people say non boiled cotton has a funny taste (this probably will effect the end result to some degree)
for the e-liquid i would say 50/50 PG / VG blend with flavor.
the rig would need to be used for while. run like 6-8 mL of eliquid (just vaping like you normally would), then the test vapor can be extracted. this is in order to get test vapor from actual operating conditions.
how many watts this rig should be vaped is hard to say, i would say crank it up to the point where it makes the most vapor with out tasting too funky or burnt.

something along the lines of this for a cotton rig to test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HstiYiC_ZN8

I use organic, unboiled cotton. I use a couple of KFLs, A helios (which I run dual coil sub-ohm around 0.7 ohms), and an IGO - T for the lion's share of my vaping.

I change cotton wicks every other day, or after about 4 mls. Whichever comes first. It takes me only a few minutes.

I vape some 40/60 PG/VG liquid all the way up to some 20/80 PG/VG liquid.

So what makes sense to me, is to run one test for each of the devices, at various liquids ratios, at various wattages (my vape range is 12-28 watts). One test with a fresh wick for each, one with half of its useable life gone, and one at the end of its life.

So that would be 4 test rigs, 3 tests per rig. Total of 12. What would the markers for decomposed cotton be?

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
what sort of materials can you test for?
is there a max number of different materials can this analysis test for in a single test?

There is no limit, but there is a cost. Assume for the moment that money was no object. I just need to know what to look for that would indicate the cotton was a problem.

I can always adjust the test parameters if the cost becomes prohibitive.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
There is no limit, but there is a cost. Assume for the moment that money was no object. I just need to know what to look for that would indicate the cotton was a problem.

I can always adjust the test parameters if the cost becomes prohibitive.

from what i'm finding right now, there is a large number of different hazardous volatile organic compounds that are produced when cotton is thermally decomposed.. it will take me a bit to sort through them and figure out what is going to be the most abundant and the most hazardous. i will get a list prepared as soon as i can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread