RDA Optimum RDA wicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Sorry if this seems silly, but inquiring minds want to know....

Is it better to pack the deck of an rda full of wick, or should it just be loose enough for the tails to be the only thing to touch bottom?

TIA
I can only say what I do with my single coil SV rda clone. I want just enough cotton going through the coil so there will always be cotton in contact with the entire coil then the legs go steeply down to the bottom of the well and stop so most of the well is not touched by cotton. My reasoning is the less coil material there is the more saturated the coil will remain before it's time to re drip. The only atomizer I use is the SV. There is no one right answer to your question.

Reactions: DingerCPA

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
@sofarsogood, Thank you. I've tried a couple different ways. I just got my Origen16 RDA clone, and it's a TINY, TINY, TINY deck. I wondered if it would be better to saturate more wick (currently trying cotton, but I'll also give rayon a try) so I don't have to drip as often.

I can certainly see pros and cons either way.... So, the RIGHT answer is if it works for me..... :)

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
@sofarsogood, Thank you. I've tried a couple different ways. I just got my Origen16 RDA clone, and it's a TINY, TINY, TINY deck. I wondered if it would be better to saturate more wick (currently trying cotton, but I'll also give rayon a try) so I don't have to drip as often.

I can certainly see pros and cons either way.... So, the RIGHT answer is if it works for me..... :)
Temp control makes things so much easier with an rda I feel no need to use tanks.

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana

On my origen 16, I tuck the tails under and the whole deck is covered with cotton.

I only use a single coil and don't squonk, so I don't know if that helps.

I have the coil as close to the air hole as possible, and when I drip, I drip straight through the drip tip on the "bed" of cotton I made.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
On my origen 16, I tuck the tails under and the whole deck is covered with cotton.

I only use a single coil and don't squonk, so I don't know if that helps.

I have the coil as close to the air hole as possible, and when I drip, I drip straight through the drip tip on the "bed" of cotton I made.

That's kind of how I'm currently set up. I have. Couple of squonkies, but I'm just playing right now. 3mm coil and the whole bed is swathed with cotton. I think for this RDA, it might be my way to go. The juice well isn't deep, and I feel like I can hold more with the fluffy bed.

Thanks, Petro :)

Reactions: petrotech

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
That's kind of how I'm currently set up. I have. Couple of squonkies, but I'm just playing right now. 3mm coil and the whole bed is swathed with cotton. I think for this RDA, it might be my way to go. The juice well isn't deep, and I feel like I can hold more with the fluffy bed.

Thanks, Petro :)

Not sure about squonking....I'm afraid it'll be another money pit for me. but I do already have a narda and the origen that are already BF....

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Not sure about squonking....I'm afraid it'll be another money pit for me. but I do already have a narda and the origen that are already BF....

There is One Big Downside to Squonking. Once you try it, there is a Good Chance you will Never Go Back.

So be prepared to start Buying BF Pins and New RDA's and a Squonk Mod or three.

;)

Reactions: petrotech

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I'm a "just enough wick to touch the deck" person myself. I had tried packing in cotton before and it always seemed like I was throwing out wads of cotton that still had juice in them. The downside to that is, if you have juice sloshing around in your well, it can leak. The solution for that problem is a squonker.

danny c

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2016
uk
As for squonking it's not for me, between the avocado, ijoys limitless and limitless mod cos actual rdta. I'm not about to hand over battery space when I can fill a tank and flip my mod...both limitless pieces are really good, not to keen on the avocado. My friend squonks and it's unnecessary luggage, that liquid should be a battery.
Just my own opinion.

Reactions: sonicbomb

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
I squonked for over 1.5 years, but returned to the darkside of topfeeding the past year. Overall, TF is less messy for me. Also, when I started I mainly used itty bitty 14mm to 16mm drippers. Without any well, BF was needed. Now, I'm on to bigger decks and have plenty of room to dump 1/2ml or so down the tip.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The reasoning behind the tails just touching the deck is for me -
Less wicking means more space around the coils for unimpeded airflow.
There is a limit on how far the capillary action can effectively draw juice along the wick towards the coil.
Having a deck full of cotton makes over drip less likely to leak, but reduces performance and increases the likely-hood of dry hits imo. Solution, keep the RDA upright and don't over drip.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread