Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
I drilled my mouth piece out on the V2 today with a dremel. Carefully, and used a little oil to cool things down. Also have done a few air holes in my time with a 1mm bit. I havent touched the v2.1 other then to set it up & vape it.
What size drill bit did you use? I will give it a shot. If anything it will look like my avatar. :laugh:

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
I heard someone say they took the condom cap off of an old cartomizer and slipped it over the tip and worked great..
I have a bunch from boges and they are too big. I pull air from between the condom and the mouthpiece. :cry:. No big deal though. I have the drill and bits ready.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Git it. Went from 5/64 (stock) up to 3/32. So far its still the same. I think my battery is getting low though. It added some cooling but its still warm after 5 draws. Id like to vape double that but lets see what its like after I get a charged battery in it. For the record I would not go higher then 3/32. It opened up the draw a lot more. Its real easy to do since the center hole is already a good pilot.

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
Glad to hear you got it drilled out OK. The only other idea to isolate you from the heat is to cut the mouth piece and drill for a drip tip. But I wouldn't do that without a drill press or a lathe. If I had a lathe, I would make a delrin top piece for it!

I usually take 4-5 draws each time I use mine... then set it down or take a break for a few minutes. Then another 4-5 draws. When it is producing like it should, My draws are not very long, well because it makes so much vapor. When it is not right, I end up taking a lot longer draws and things start to heat up.

If you can find something that is meant to slide OVER a 510 as a mouth piece it will work.

ETA: I found something that works. The black mouthpiece from the Smoktec giant/ego cartomizers. It slides right over and is secure and air tight. I have one left and tried it. Link is only for an example as I would purchase from a vendor in the US. Smoktech EGO dual coils cartomizer1.5ohm

UnFettered_Soul

Exalted Grand High Poobah
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I can say this and it should help a lot. I found the top coil my biggest heartache and wondered why it was always the "top" and seldom the bottom. I found that after wrapping the top coil around the washers/nut and taking a needle and forcing a ? shape onto the top coil cured most issues. The ? shape caused the wire to tighten up a bit and not be just there absorbing all the heat.

Also, ( I'm sure you are ) make sure to get that last coil pulled pretty close to the post. I tried to never bend the wick just to get it close (I've seen others with bent wicks from forcing a close connection) but close enough.

And last but not least. Short burst with a soaked coil/wick and the device turned downward at about a 45 angle help oxidize the coil wire in the beginning.

Do you happen to have a pic of this?
The only trouble I seem to be having so far is getting enough vapor.
Almost like it isn't getting enough power.

The wick seems to be fine, seems to be wicking well, without having to tip.
I think I may have the top wire between the nut and the first washer, I'll have to change that.

The top of my wick is close, but could be closer, and I have 4 wraps.

I get condensation, wondering if maybe my wick isn't thick enough?

With the top off, I have to hold the button a good 7 to 10 seconds before I get anything other than a thin ribbon of vapor.
And of course, with the top on, holding the button this long gets the mouth piece hot.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Everyone I want to thank you all for the help. The problem was in front of my face the entire time and was even touched on topics here. The screw hole is too close to the wick. Thats it. Well that or one other thing could have fixed it. I dug as deep into a tear down as I could get and when I went to thread the lower nut down on the + post I got about two turns on the nut even after it was flush with the isolator. Was that just me or does that stud thread down for a connection? If so that could have been part of the problem also. I would like to get to the bottom of that so I can post a video for other people on YT. Thanks again guys and gals.

aznfknpride

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2009
Hawaii
Striker, glad you got it going. So the problem was just the positive post?

Mine was the same problem, well, that and actually getting the kanthal between the two washers instead of the washer and the top nut. Was always the top coil for me until I did those two things. I was also getting weak hits every now and then, then I realized the nut on the positive post wasn't tight enough... tightened it down and BAM! Freight train!

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
Everyone I want to thank you all for the help. The problem was in front of my face the entire time and was even touched on topics here. The screw hole is too close to the wick. Thats it. Well that or one other thing could have fixed it. I dug as deep into a tear down as I could get and when I went to thread the lower nut down on the + post I got about two turns on the nut even after it was flush with the isolator. Was that just me or does that stud thread down for a connection? If so that could have been part of the problem also. I would like to get to the bottom of that so I can post a video for other people on YT. Thanks again guys and gals.

Glad you got it going! So does this mean you are going to keep it for at least a little while longer ;) I saw your FS post and was saddened by it TBH... but glad you took the time to work it out.

When I cut down the SS switch spacer to recess my switch a little on the V2 and reassembled, it wouldn't even fire. I had not tightened the center post enough for the connections on the switch to make a connection to the body... tightened it a little and it fired great.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Striker, glad you got it going. So the problem was just the positive post?

Mine was the same problem, well, that and actually getting the kanthal between the two washers instead of the washer and the top nut. Was always the top coil for me until I did those two things. I was also getting weak hits every now and then, then I realized the nut on the positive post wasn't tight enough... tightened it down and BAM! Freight train!
LOL I seen this post and remembered I needed to tighten the nut. My god its so awesome. I cant believe this thing is working so well. I was happy with carto (but thicker) types of hits. But now its a absolute monster. Here is the kicker. My battery is around 3.5 volts too. My spare is on the charger and just about ready for lift off. Here is a fix for the washer and wire issue. Take one washer and bend it slightly on one side. That will make a nice ramp to get it started. I have to twist the washers to line the ramp up at times but its a lot easier then fighting with it otherwise.

It was the backed out post and the wick being pulled to the Neg screw head. I think mine might be drilled too close to the wick hole. Loosened the screw and put some slack in the wire. That problem is now temporarily fixed till I find a suitable insulator.
Glad you got it going! So does this mean you are going to keep it for at least a little while longer ;) I saw your FS post and was saddened by it TBH... but glad you took the time to work it out.

When I cut down the SS switch spacer to recess my switch a little on the V2 and reassembled, it wouldn't even fire. I had not tightened the center post enough for the connections on the switch to make a connection to the body... tightened it a little and it fired great.

Okay thanks. I will post the findings in the video then.

Ya lastnight I just broke man. This APV had been kicking me around for a whole week. I wrapped at least 5 coils and killed 4 wicks. I am out of wick now and cant buy more till pay day in 11 days. :facepalm:. Add that to having this be my second APV in a row that beat the crap out of me and cost me almost $450 total and I just exploded. It was a weak moment for sure. But as soon as that fresh battery comes off the Pila its all finally about to pay off. I kissed my Provari before I sent it off to the lucky buyer so I could buy the first one. If only I had known then just how much I would miss it. Deep breath. Its finally over.

So now I have the worst coil I have ever wrapped in my life on this thing thanks to some messed up mesh. It does not even effect the way its clouding my office space. :party:

Last edited:

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Just pm me your address Striker & I'll mail you some mesh...

ETA: one of my worst looking wicks was my best... but it got pulled about a week before I traded off my V1.
Gracious offer but I should be able to make it. I hear the wick on average will last around a month so that will put me on time if so. If not I have one more just like the one I have in it now, that I should be able to make work if it comes down to it.

Thats what I like about being a part of this group. People like you willing to help. Thank you. Most of the PM's I got when I listed this thing where people trying to help. Even had an offer for a loaner. I could not be more humble then I am now. With all the help I had and just knowing in general I finally won is good for me. I could be out of wick for a week and use a mini. Just knowing I got a awesome APV that works like it should makes me happy.:toast:

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
:toast: More then welcome. If you need anything, the offer still stands. Just let me know. I seem to get about a month out of my wicks before I can't just re-torch them to clean 'em up and drop them in the tank and role another coil. They start to have an off taste when it happens to me (sort of an ash/burnt taste instead of clean). I usually roll a new coil every week, well unless it is kicking out some good flavor/vapor, then I just leave it alone. When I have a setup working, I don't mess with it.

Enjoy :vapor: your Orion Striker!!!

rossstang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2010
Cincinnati,ohio
I dont know if anyone keeps up with the UK forums but a guy I think goes by jackfrost did a litle experiment with the way he rolls and quenches his wich and let me tell you it is awesome!

instead of rolling the wick and quenching it in water or PG/VG, as soon as he cuts the piece he needs before he rolls it he heats it up with the torch on both sides and leaves the whole quenching part out! that's right no dipping in water or soaking it in juice and burning it. and just roll it up and install the wire.

I tried it and it doesnt leave your wick hard as a rock like quenching it and it dosent ground out!!! and the taste is even better! I absolutely love it!

mite not be for everyone but you should give it a shot and see if it works for you.

Last edited:

Yellowman1972

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Seattle
Lol, quench. But yes, Zen makes his wicks like that as well.. I also read that some oxidize the mesh before they even roll the wick... Haven't tried that method yet but will try once I need a new one

this is not like zens method, i do all my wicks like this and am done in under 4 minutes. heat half the wick 20-30 seconds while red hot. keep it red the whole time, then flip and repeat. put juice on it and light it 3 times. done. comes out a lil off blk, more grey but i dont run insulators and it touches the bottom of the tank. have never had to re oxidize. alot of these techniques are like urban legends. zens first video he only oxidized half the wick and had to use insulators and not let it touch the bottom. but when he started oxidizing his whole wicks like everyone else he never failed to mention that you could do away with the other things. but everyone still does it. i do everything your not supposed to and have never had to re oxidize and my shorts are all at the lead wires. top or bottom, adjust and done.

Yellowman1972

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Seattle
the only no no i follow is never let your coils touch your +/- posts. instant bad news. usually when you come back around the first wrap do not let the coil touch the top of your neg post. if a wick is properly oxidized it can lean up on either of your posts. unless my orion,zenesis,ngp,hellfire,cyclone are all magic and the laws of physics dont apply to my mods. if so thats awesome and im gonna post these up for 5 bills each...lol

Yellowman1972

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Seattle
i went to genisis atty bootcamp by spending one month with the hellfire boys on ukv. the greatest most helpful buch of guys.and they have tried stuff i would never had thought of. we are like the jamaican bobsled team compared to these guys. they even made a coil of ss mesh and used that instead of kanthol. craziest thing i saw but it pumped out vapor at a very alarming rate,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread