Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Also an issue in the bad stuff in the vapor we exhale. Those who share our atmosphere also share the risk, albeit to a lesser extent.
Proposed bans on vaping in public, especially in enclosed spaces, are not so unreasonable.

I respectfully disagree. They are unreasonable unless backed by solid science showing that bystanders are exposed to significant levels of harmful substances.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
I respectfully disagree. They are unreasonable unless backed by solid science showing that bystanders are exposed to significant levels of harmful substances.

Agreed. Which to date they do not.

BMC Public Health | Full text | Peering through the mist: systematic review of what the chemistry of contaminants in electronic cigarettes tells us about health risks

Conclusions
Current state of knowledge about chemistry of liquids and aerosols associated with electronic cigarettes indicates that there is no evidence that vaping produces inhalable exposures to contaminants of the aerosol that would warrant health concerns by the standards that are used to ensure safety of workplaces. However, the aerosol generated during vaping as a whole (contaminants plus declared ingredients) creates personal exposures that would justify surveillance of health among exposed persons in conjunction with investigation of means to keep any adverse health effects as low as reasonably achievable. Exposures of bystanders are likely to be orders of magnitude less, and thus pose no apparent concern.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Here's a LINK to the complete report.

I'm unqualified to comment on the methodology or the results presented in the report. I can't translate levels of formaldehyde measured in nanograms ("ng") per 15 puffs to levels that are proven to be harmful or not harmful. An ng is one billionth of a gram, which doesn't seem like very much but, for all I know, 50 ng would kill me in short order.

Of course the study doesn't purport to say anything relevant to second-hand vaping and I don't know how to correlate ng/15 puffs with ppm of formaldehyde in ambient air, which OSHA limits to 0.75 ppm.

I wish someone with more scientific training would analyze the full report in depth. Telling me 15 puffs have X ng formaldehyde means virtually nothing to me.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Not sure if this helps, but Dr. Farsalinos commented on that report here: Formaldehyde release in ecigarette vapor The New York Times story explained in detail

Yes, I read that and it was helpful. His main point seems to be that the study did not appear to properly replicate something that vapers actually do with equipment they're likely to use in the same manner the testers used it. It would be nice to sit these guys down and ask them to please explain why they did it that way. I note that the lead researcher disclosed that he got his funding from Pfizer, which causes one to raise an eyebrow just a wee bit.

No, my questions have to do with other aspects of the methodology and just how bad are these formaldehyde levels.

EDIT: Perhaps the good Dr. Farsalinos could suggest a better methodology. I imagine most vapers would like to have this kind of information, if only for our own personal benefit so we can make informed decisions.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
At the time of the deeming doc:

http://www.ofr.gov/OFRUpload/OFRData/2014-09491_PI.pdf

Under "Health Risks of Products"/5. Ecigarettes...(pg 58) the fda acknowledges that the one DEG instance was isolated to one cartridge:

Again, this isn't CASAA talking, it's the FDA:

"we note that it was found in only 1 of 18 cartridges studied and it was not found at all in another 16 studies.

So it isn't that they lack studies for finding stuff like this. But the next line on formaldehyde is:

"Further, one study found that toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde and acetaldehyde
were detected in the cartridges as well as the aerosol from certain e-cigarette nicotine solutions"

And while that study states:

"Smoking an ecigarette (also referred to as ‘vaping’) can result in exposure to carcinogenic formaldehyde comparable with that received from cigarette smoking."

Again 'can result in' but their table shows that the ratio of traces found in cigs vs. ecigs is 9:1. There were a few samples that were comparable to cigs, but most were not.

It might be nice to know how much they'd find in pharmaceutical grade nic base and pharmaceutical grade VG and PG - which is where the industry standard is moving. Many are already there including my supplier.

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
Here is the entire quote, out of context much?

Spazmelda said:
As a scientist myself I know that I can not be completely unbiased. Nobody can. When I read a paper I look at the data and how they performed the experiment. I look at their conclusions and see if they match their data. For example, if Glantz says that his study shows that vaping makes kids smoke more, I look at the data. Does the data support that conclusion. It certainly does not. Glantz confuses correlation and causation, which is something even the most fledgling scientist has drilled into their brains. It's discussed in most low, mid, and high level science courses. Science, when done properly is an excellent tool for finding out how things work. Unfortunately, when done incorrectly, it's also an excellent tool for propaganda and misinformation.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Here is the entire quote, out of context much?

Spazmelda said:

But, see, the problem is glANTZ is not a scientist. He's a (failed) mechanical engineer. And that profession is known for well... engineering devices to perform a pre-specified task. So, by engineering standards, glANTZ is doing a mighty fine job of building exactly the correct PR device(s) to accomplish the task at hand - demonizing ecigs, dehumanizing vapers, and denormalizing scientific standards of inquiry (nay, common sense) in tobacco control research.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Taking quotes out of context is bogus, lol.

Right, so I do believe that it's impossible to be entirely unbiased. Good scientists know this and try to control for it as best they can. Less good scientists perhaps think that they aren't affected by bias, or can avoid it, or aren't completely aware of the problems it can cause. Dishonest scientists don't really care. In much research, this isn't a huge problem. The research I did was not the least bit political. It was pure basic research, and any eventual profits from it are so far down the line that it wasn't much affected by any political or financial motives (bias is still an issue of course, just not as high stakes). Once politics and money enter, it's a whole different game.

As Kristen said, you just aren't going to get some disinterested party to front the money for a study on a controversial issue. It's not going to happen. It wouldn't make any sense. If a party/organization/funding entity doesn't care about the results, they are not going to pay for the study. That's just common sense. This is how the world works.

I believe that CASAA did everything possible to reduce bias in the study they commissioned. They chose a researcher with nothing to gain from pushing the results in one way versus another. They did not dictate the results. Of course, people are going to use the fact that it was CASAA who funded the study against it, but the alternative is to continue to sit back and just try to defend against the unabashedly biased studies being cranked out by people who truly do have high stakes interests. That, IMO, would be a bad decision.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
hehehehe...

I never saw it before! :lol:

There is no better spelling for Stan's name. After all he is the embodiment of everything that's corrupt, maliciously ignorant, and morally bankrupt in all ANTZ, as well as their supposedly scientific voice. Therefore glANTZ refers to both Stan and all other ANTZ at the same time. :)

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
But, see, the problem is glANTZ is not a scientist. He's a (failed) mechanical engineer. And that profession is known for well... engineering devices to perform a pre-specified task. So, by engineering standards, glANTZ is doing a mighty fine job of building exactly the correct PR device(s) to accomplish the task at hand - demonizing ecigs, dehumanizing vapers, and denormalizing scientific standards of inquiry (nay, common sense) in tobacco control research.

Maybe we should send him a Kayfun. Nothing like learning to rebuild a clever little atty to take an engineer's mind off politics. He might even be charmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread