Oy...Noalox issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemanistheking

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
Bella Vista, AR
Alright, so I've recently gotten mechs, and have begun regular maintenance/upkeep/cleaning on all my mods as a result - I am getting comfortable with the overall process (different methods, which products work best, etc.), on my APVs, as if one of those is irreversibly damaged from doing something horrible to it, it's a lot easier to replace than a high end mech.

I've got Simichrome for my polish, and Noalox for my threads. The Noalox is grey/silver though, and I noticed in a YouTube video last night they were using a clear gel-like version...not sure if it's any different or just aesthetics.

Anyway, last week, all excited about my new decision to really take care of the stuff I spend my hard earned money on, I applied Noalox to the threads on the telescoping piece on my SVD. I know now I applied way, way too much (like a good little line per side, four lines total). Anyway, I wiped off what excess I could, and went about my business. Now, about a week later, the finish is gone on the inside of the piece (everywhere noalox touched), and the threads are starting to oxidize in places.

What happened? Did something in the finish maybe react with the Noalox? I am bewildered by this, and can find no other news on the net, but that is the only thing that could have caused it...

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

What happened? Did something in the finish maybe react with the Noalox? I am bewildered by this, and can find no other news on the net, but that is the only thing that could have caused it...

Kinda hard to say from just a Text Description.

Can you post some Pictures?

icemanistheking

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
Bella Vista, AR
Okay, I am fairly certain the black gunk buildup was from the horrendous amount of Noalox I used, because it all came right off after a five minute vinegar soak and a light toothbrush scrub. I've decided to go with petroleum jelly as my thread lube (not related to the OP, but methodical reasons), but my threads are shiny, looking good as new, and buttery smooth, so Noalox doesn't have some evil hidden secret reactant.

Mods, is there any way this thread can be closed? Wouldn't want someone getting the wrong idea of a highly-recommended product (Noalox) from the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread