PA 40% Tax Increase!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tufur

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2014
San Jose, Ca. usa
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: The discussion of pure nicotine is not permitted on ECF.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
future-marlboro-vape-concept-300x300.jpg

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Zero nicotine eliquid is not included in the proposed taxed.
Ah, I didn't realize that. Makes sense now, thanks.

At least for the time being, several things are pushing open system eliquid distribution in the direction of zero nic flavored eliquid and nicotine in an unflavored solution sold in a separate package. It's the only way a shop will survive in San Fran, the tax all over Cali going over 60%, uncertainty of zero nicotine eliquids future coverage by the deeming regs
Yep, I understood it to be a potential loophole for SF's flavor ban.

Unfortunately, I don't see it as a work-around for the Deeming, at least not without a court challenge.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
Ive been toying with that a lot.
do it, super easy, old saying "just keep it simple stupid"
lots of info in the diy juice section
dont have to be precise, just start w/small batches and use low % mix of flavor and adjust upward if needed.
when u get what u like then add the nic
im a cheap bas tard, for me i use about 7-10mls of flav(fruits, candy) + a few mls of menthol(diy from crystals) per 270mls of 80% vg base.
small doses of menthol is for not getting dry mouth/vapors tongue and not getting a menthol taste, more of a refesher cleaner taste and adding a slight punch to the flav profile., imo
i nuke it in the mw until its warm(timed in seconds) as it mixes better and its a fast steep method.
in less than a few minutes i have about 285-295mls of juice ready to vape for basically nada compared to retail

Last edited:
Reactions: Hitmetwice

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Reactions: gin828

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
This is crazy. I have an idea of what's going to happen when more get into homemade. Don't want to give any govt stooges ideas though.
Does this apply to juice with no nicotine?

The original 40% tax is being applied to zero nicotine eLiquid by the PA DoR. It's a matter of debate, whether or not the passed legislation actually covers zero nicotine.

The proposed replacement $.05/ml tax does not apply to zero nicotine eliquid.

Reactions: halbgott

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Amazingly, Jake Bucher's testimony included the following false statement: "the per milliliter tax at the point of sale a fairer method of taxation than a wholesale tax".
I think it does help small shops. The 40% wholesale tax means a shop has 40%more money tied up in inventory, and for a small business, having more tied up in inventory is an extra whammy at income tax time.

Reactions: Verb

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
The tax on 2 ml of 100mg/ml is $.15. I think the vape shops that survived the past year will figure out how to sell a 30ml bottle without breaking their customers' budgets.

The customers that need 12mg/ml eLiquid might up paying around $.27, maybe half that depending on the concentration.

Not the best, but better than 40% on wholesale, which made it very difficult for shops to carry stock. It was difficult to keep seeing the near empty display cases and want to revisit a shop.

Reactions: zoiDman

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I'm curious why you say that, Bill?

The way I see it is: The more who learn how to DIY, the fewer will return to smoking when the FDA's hammer drops next year.

As more vapers begin mixing their own e-liquid products, safety will be compromised. The last thing vaping needs is more news headlines like "Child dies after drinking high nicotine e-liquid", "Calls to poison control centers for child nicotine poisonings increase again", etc.

I agree that DIY will sharply increase if FDA's vapor Deeming Ban is implemented next year, but I'm also increasingly confident that it won't be implemented next year.

Reactions: WorksForMe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread