PA 40% Tax Increase!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnyskyez

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Dont know if this is the right place to be. I placed an order at Halo for 2 -30ml btls, my bill was $40 then when I got to the final price my bill was over $65 with the 40% PA tax. I cancelled my order. vaping is now more expensive than analogs. Is everything going to be that high, or is it just the e-liquid? I have though of DIY but didnt know if that is going to be heavily taxed. Ive signed a bunch of online petitions but I guess none of that has worked. This upsets me so much, I dont have a craving for analogs anymore, I feel much better with more energy and I like not stinking. I guess after I finish my other bottles of juice I will go back to analogs. That is exactly what they want us to do. I dont mind paying taxes on stuff but these exceeds my brain capacity. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: David Wolf

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Dont know if this is the right place to be. I placed an order at Halo for 2 -30ml btls, my bill was $40 then when I got to the final price my bill was over $65 with the 40% PA tax. I cancelled my order. Vaping is now more expensive than analogs. Is everything going to be that high, or is it just the e-liquid? I have though of DIY but didnt know if that is going to be heavily taxed. Ive signed a bunch of online petitions but I guess none of that has worked. This upsets me so much, I dont have a craving for analogs anymore, I feel much better with more energy and I like not stinking. I guess after I finish my other bottles of juice I will go back to analogs. That is exactly what they want us to do. I dont mind paying taxes on stuff but these exceeds my brain capacity. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
$65 is about what I used to spend to smoke for a week. Typical liquid consumption for me today is 50 ml perr week which I make at home for a cost of 1.2 cents per ml, 60 cents per week. That difference in cost is 2 orders of magnitude. I usually mix a month supply which takes about 20 minutes. A bottle of nic that costs $50 will last me about 4 years. If I was still smoking 4 years of cigarettes would costs me $12,000. May be you want to consider mixing at home.

A 40% tax on a liter of 100 mg nic would raise it to $85, still chump change. You can pay that tax if necessary and your DIY liquid still costs basically nothing. A similar situation applies to hardware. So you pay 40% more for a mod that's going to last you several years. $15-20 extra dollars compared to smoking is pretty much irrelevent.

The purpose of this tax is to close the vape shops so they aren't there to help people stop smoking. Our governments are just as ruthless as any South American drug cartel.

Last edited:

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Many forum readers seem to have been preparing for a good while. DIY is probably the best way around the taxes on juices, but I see nicotine being controlled and heavily taxed. If juice has nicotine in it, it will be controlled and expensive. I think it will be hard to fight that in a court since nicotine is so addictive.

I, switched to DIY close to a year ago and stocked up on nicotine. It really isn't that hard. I equate it to making my own coils. Just took a little learning. I actually prefer it.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Since nic base can't be vaped as-is and can be used for other things (diy organic pesticide), if it is not purchased from a vape exclusive retailer it is not covered by the tax.

The tax is being applied contrary to PA law. Items must be taxed for what they are, not because of who sells it. I'm thinking more over hardware parts, VG, and loose batteries, than nic. Hopefully, the first lawsuit gets filed soon.

traten

Sep 25, 2014
SE PA USA
I'm from Pennsylvania. Legislators want to control my life by taxing me into submission to their whim. Essentially, this is how governments operate before ultimately failing. They underestimate us.

A. I have a life-long nicotine addiction and I'm an old man. Vaping has saved me from its worst effects by reducing -possibly eliminating- the harmful particulates present in the combustion of tobacco.

B. My grandfather brewed bathtub beer during prohibition. Prohibition did not stand, but his knowledge of the brewing process did. I loved the man and will follow his example.

Here's my plan:

1. A lifetime gardener, I know how to grow things. I will grow tobacco. I ordered seeds on eBay from the US and a five-packet of various variety from Russia. I've tested germination and it's good. In the spring a portion of my small garden will be given over to tobacco cultivation. YouTube is filled with videos about growing, harvesting, curing, and fermentation. Google

2. I will learn how to extract nicotine from the leaves, follow existing recipes available here on ECF, using easily purchased products, and make my vape juices. My mods and coils allow for infinite usage without the need for digital components.

3. Failing that (and I'm not planning to fail), I'll just smoke the damn tobacco like I've been doing since age 13. Prohibition be damned. Freedom is my middle name.

This photo of my test seedlings growing inside under lights shows how vigorously tobacco grows. The full crop will be started inside in February and planted outside in April/May. It is step one in the process.
SDC11037.JPG

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Short term: Find a juice supplier within PA who only has to pay tax on wholesale costs and can therefore still sell you juice at reasonable prices. They do exist.

Long term: Learn to mix your own. It's dang near free to vape that way -- pennies per day.

Where in PA are you?

sunnyskyez

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone, once I calmed down over the sticker shock, I realized I just cant give up what I really love and I love to vape!

From what Ive read, no matter where you buy it you have to send in a use tax on your state income tax if you havent paid the tax on it. If you get caught you could get a 5K fine and or prison time. I dont look good in orange. LOL.

Honestly for PA to be so NASTY did a fellow Vaper pee in one of the legislators Wheaties!?!?! You all should read this link about it, its quit frighting:
UPDATE: Pennsylvania Vapor Tax Is Worse Than We Thought - Vaping360

Thanks a bunch.
Peace out.

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
Thanks everyone, once I calmed down over the sticker shock, I realized I just cant give up what I really love and I love to vape!

From what Ive read, no matter where you buy it you have to send in a use tax on your state income tax if you havent paid the tax on it. If you get caught you could get a 5K fine and or prison time. I dont look good in orange. LOL.

Honestly for PA to be so NASTY did a fellow Vaper pee in one of the legislators Wheaties!?!?! You all should read this link about it, its quit frighting:
UPDATE: Pennsylvania Vapor Tax Is Worse Than We Thought - Vaping360

Thanks a bunch.
Peace out.
would that kind of law/punishment even hope to stand up in court

sunnyskyez

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Since nic base can't be vaped as-is and can be used for other things (diy organic pesticide), if it is not purchased from a vape exclusive retailer it is not covered by the tax.

The tax is being applied contrary to PA law. Items must be taxed for what they are, not because of who sells it. I'm thinking more over hardware parts, VG, and loose batteries, than nic. Hopefully, the first lawsuit gets filed soon.[/QUOTe

Thanks but its all confusing and so totally unfair. First they get us addicted to analogs, then they tax the hell out of us.

sunnyskyez

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
$65 is about what I used to spend to smoke for a week. Typical liquid consumption for me today is 50 ml perr week which I make at home for a cost of 1.2 cents per ml, 60 cents per week. That difference in cost is 2 orders of magnitude. I usually mix a month supply which takes about 20 minutes. A bottle of nic that costs $50 will last me about 4 years. If I was still smoking 4 years of cigarettes would costs me $12,000. May be you want to consider mixing at home.

A 40% tax on a liter of 100 mg nic would raise it to $85, still chump change. You can pay that tax if necessary and your DIY liquid still costs basically nothing. A similar situation applies to hardware. So you pay 40% more for a mod that's going to last you several years. $15-20 extra dollars compared to smoking is pretty much irrelevent.

The purpose of this tax is to close the vape shops so they aren't there to help people stop smoking. Our governments are just as ruthless as any South American drug cartel.

Amen to that. The government uses our hard earned money for their crap but tax us to death.
I will be looking into the DIY. Thanks for your input.

sunnyskyez

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
I am going to assume that wherever you buy from, you will still owe the tax, just like cigs. Years ago I knew a couple of guys that were buying cigs by mail from one of the reservations, and after a while the govt. caught up with them, and wanted the tax owed.
Yes they will catch up with you. So I just bought some e-liquid on ebay and will have to print off my invoice and pay the use tax on my income tax in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread