Paypal grievances...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerofParanoia

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
San Marcos, TX
Ok, so this thread has absolutely nothing to do with PV's or liquid, but I would really like to rant about this.
If the mods feel a need to close it, I don't mind. I'm not exactly sure what the forum rules are in the PIF besides the guidelines on how to PIF.

Anyway!
So a few weeks ago I bought a textbook from a website that had a decent return policy. It was an art history textbook that I needed for one of my online classes. I purchased the textbook and then got an email about my purchase; apparently the book I had bought was the instructor's edition. No where on the description of the book that I purchased did it say that it was the instructor's edition, so the frustration began.

I contacted my professor and she said that she would like me to get the student edition because the instructor's edition had smaller images in it because of margins for notes or something of that sort, and she wanted me to be able to view the images as large as possible.

So I follow the website's return policy by sending them an email with my order number and the SKU, they reply telling me that they will be waiting for the book. The book finally came in the mail a week later and since I was returning it, I just slapped a new shipping label on it and sent it right back to them. They receive it another week and a half later- I knew because I had been watching the tracking number like a hawk. I got no confirmation email from them about the fact that they had received the book until I contacted a CSR through email. She told me that it would take another 2 weeks to process it and give me my refund via paypal.

So by this time I'm all fine and dandy, I didn't need that 100 dollars right off the bat because I'm trying to budget my money as best I can.

But, oh, life is never quite that simple.

2 days ago I'm checking my bank statement making sure that I don't go over my budget for the week, and low and behold, paypal had charged me for the book...a SECOND time. You can only imagine how upset I was about it. Not a good thing to wake up to after only a few hours of sleep.

At this point, I'm 200 dollars poorer and a very unhappy camper. This is my schedule of events for the past two days:

10/12: Contacted the textbook seller's CS, they told me to call Paypal.
10/12: Contacted paypal CS who didn't speak very much english and told me the same thing over and over again. After requesting to speak to a supervisor, the guy stalls me for as long as possible. I get upset and hang up on him.
10/12: I call up my bank to ask them if they have recieved anything about the refund and how long it would take them to post it into my bank account once they received the funds. This guy was nice and answered my questions honestly, but go figure, the guy from paypal had completely lied to me telling me that the bank's policy was that it could take up to 30 days to post the funds.

I was sick of dealing with it at this point, and I was so upset that I didn't even bother to call paypal so my head wouldn't explode.

10/13: I call the textbook seller's CS, who tell me to call paypal again.
10/13: Paypal CS tells me to call the textbook seller again
10/13: Textbook seller tells me to call the bank and then paypal again and assured me that they have nothing to do with the funds being withdrawn from my account.
10/13: I finally call paypal back and request to speak to a supervisor before the CSR even asked me what my issue was after giving her my information. She tried to talk to me about it, but I got upset and forced her to give me up to a supervisor.

I finally got to talk to the supervisor who was very knowledgeable, and quite professional. She said that the funds being withdrawn from my account were not paypal's doing and suggested that we do a 3-way call with the bank's CS. We talk to the bank's CSR for a short period of time, and within 10 minutes of talking to them the entire situation was resolved.

Moral of the story:
I hate money.
I hate paypal.
I hate buying textbooks online.
and I love you guys.

winking_heart-431.gif

Last edited:

Enid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2010
Greenville, SC
Oh geez. I'm so sorry that all that happened. It feels so endless when it's happening.

(I bought in-game money for Second Life and the professional seller accidently charged me a much larger amount. She quickly (within a day) credited it back to my account but my bank wouldn't release the money. It kept showing up as pending for 5 days. I was very poor then and while I did choose to spend some money on a frivolous purchase, I didn't choose to be penniless.)

PowerofParanoia

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
San Marcos, TX
Oh text books. How I remember. What a racket and they have you over a barrel. I always thought I deserved a kiss first or at least a hug before they plowed me with that pricing! Good luck getting the $$$$ back.

I wish there was such thing as a "textbook co-op" :p

How frustrating! I had a similar problem with a dish network order. Was told they were going to bill me 29.00 for the set up fee...they charged 229. I got a woman on the phone who only wanted to convince me to stay with Dish....I was even screaming at her at one point. I'm not a screamer. :)

ECF is my happy place too.

I know exactly what you mean. I got really upset at one point and started screaming at one of the CS paypal reps.

ECF is definitely a happy place. Any upset or frustrated feelings seem to dissolve when talking to everyone here on ECF. :)

Oh geez. I'm so sorry that all that happened. It feels so endless when it's happening.

(I bought in-game money for Second Life and the professional seller accidently charged me a much larger amount. She quickly (within a day) credited it back to my account but my bank wouldn't release the money. It kept showing up as pending for 5 days. I was very poor then and while I did choose to spend some money on a frivolous purchase, I didn't choose to be penniless.)

I feel like some sort of personal spending is required to keep your sanity, so I empathize with that.
What's second life? Is it an MMO?

UntamedRose

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
Homeish now
textbook co-op......now there is an idea!
Hate the whole textbook, monopoly crap anyway it's ridiculous.
personally I get my texts off amazon, and get older editions when I can. if you check with the Proff first often they know if there are any major changes in the new that you will need.

Sorry that is a bloody mess, glad it's fixed now

PowerofParanoia

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
San Marcos, TX
textbook co-op......now there is an idea!
Hate the whole textbook, monopoly crap anyway it's ridiculous.
personally I get my texts off amazon, and get older editions when I can. if you check with the Proff first often they know if there are any major changes in the new that you will need.

Sorry that is a bloody mess, glad it's fixed now

I wish they would just add textbook prices into tuition.
It's a pain in my rear to have to buy textbooks from a million different places just to get them as cheap as possible, haha.

Enid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2010
Greenville, SC
What's second life? Is it an MMO?
It's a virtual world, not a true MMORPG. It doesn't have a goal. It's just a huge platform with built in designing capabilities. So, it's a brave new world. You can create anything that you can dream of. It's the wild wild west, in terms of anything goes. It has a built in currency, which you pay for with real money. Second Life has created real life millionaires. If you can script, design and market what you create, then you can make a real life living but most people just purchase stuff from others.
Clemson University's PHD rhetorics communication and design dept. just had a whole course on SL. I got to tutor my non-gaming nerd friends. :)

Eekaa Chu

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Texas USA
I feel your pain! I have had many similar situations that could have been solved in 5 minutes rather than 2 days of run arounds and headaches.
I went through something similar with my financial aid this semester. Every time I called to ask about it I got a different story, I needed to send more paperwork, it's not us the government is being slow. Called the government, they have no record of anything even being submitted for me! This was after a month and a half of lies from the school. Call the school back over the course of the week, get 7 or 8 more, different stories. Finally I get in touch with one lady who apparently knew what she was talking about and she informed me I had actually been on an expedited list and my aid should have been processed early, not late, and I didn't need any more paperwork. She has her supervisor review my case immediately and I had my money in less than 3 days. Problem was, school had already been going for a full month by then! I had to get all sorts of help and patience from my professors because I had no money to buy my books. Plus the school kept booting me out of one of my classes every night for non payment! I had to call back every day and get re instated in the class and remind them that they were the reason the class had not yet been paid for. ACK! I feel like screaming all over again just thinking about it. Sorry for my rant in the middle of your rant, but as you can see I really do understand! :)

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
I feel your pain. I make my living selling and unfortunatley PayPal is a necessary evil. Their fees are high their customer service stinks, they really can't be trusted to do the right thing for either the buyer or the seller half the time. As a seller they can really stick it to you, especially if someone knows how to scam the system using credit cards through paypal. First they claim it's not what they wanted then they claim the sent it back then they do a chargback meanwhile they have your product (guitars in my case) and I don't have the money. I have had this take MONTHS. Then if they do finally send it back they get a full refund usually including shipping fees and I'm stuck with the fees and so forth. The same can be true for buyers if they run into a scam artist seller who sends you garbage and then disappears. Don't even get me started on UPS "insurance" they pay at most 10% of the time.

Oh well, it's a living and it pays for my e-cigs.

Happy vaping.

sgtdisturbed47

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
It's all good, I owe PayPal $2,000 and they will NEVER see a dime of it.

I sold a broken camcorder on eBay (was plainly listed as broken and for parts-only). A $50 bid won the auction, I shipped it, and then 2 weeks later my bank notifies my that out of nowhere, I've been overdrafted by $40. Well, before I could react, paypal tries to withdraw from my bank account again (without my authorization) for the amount of $40. Over and over and over again. Each time this happens, my bank charges me an overdraft fee. In the blink of an eye, I owe my bank $200 in overdraft fees. I paid it off, closed my bank account and called PayPal. I told them that they tried to steal money from me, because the transactions were not approved by me.

You don't just reach into someone's pocket if they owe you money, that's how you get punched in the mouth. That's what they did to me, reached right in and then put me in the hole with my bank. PayPal then sent me a notice that the "dispute has been closed". What dispute?! Apparently the buyer disputed, saying the item was broken. Duh, it was listed as broken. The camcorder was shipped back to me.

PayPal's fees just racked up quickly until I owed them $2000. Yeah, right, as if I'm ever going to pay that over a dispute that I was not notified of, and on top of that, they sullied my name with B of A.

A month later I get a call from a collection agent, and she was not one of the nice ones. She said "you have a responsibility to pay your debt, so man up." I let out a long string of obscenities. I told her that PayPal stole from me, so there's no way they will ever see a dime. Ever. I told her that she might as well hang up, toss out my collections info, and move on to the next one, because I refuse to put money into PayPal's hand after they got caught with that same dirty rotten hand in the cookie jar.

She hung up, and I never heard from them again.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Paypal gets sued all the time over this.

Paypal withheld $180 from me. Wouldn't allow me to withdraw it for 6 months. They told me my transactions were wishy-washy. Go figure. I have good enough credit to buy a $300,000 house but have a wishy-washy account? Somethings wrong here.

Last edited:

PowerofParanoia

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
San Marcos, TX
I HATE PAYPAL TOO!!!! I've tried to get them to fix a mistake for over a year now - I give up... The only reason I want to use it is for Ebay but I just don't have the strength to call CS again hahaha....

I'm sorry you are in this situation truely I am - it's no fun :(

It's not your fault. I'm sorry you're fighting with them too.

I'm seriously going to drive up to their HQ and scream over a loudspeaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread