PC pass-thru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys ....one of my batteries just died so I'm charging another right now. But I using a mad vapes pass thru right now to vape. It is connected directly to my pc's usb and working like a champ. How long before or what are the chances of it messing up my usb port? I seem to remeber pass thru's messing the usb somehow. Not worried that its going to fry my motherboard like some in here because in the past at work I use a pass thru all day for almost a yr with it messing up the pc, but on my home pc I noticed that the usb port would have trouble with data transfer for headsets, smartphone and such.....or is it just a 50/50 chance type of deal? lol .....I should be able to get a wall source for the pass thru by the 15th of Oct , but hopefully sooner. Do you think my poor usb port will make it thru the next week or so unharmed? lol

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
5V passthroughs do need their own power source. depending on the atty/carto, you may be drawing up to 2 amps, and most computer USB ports are only about 500 mA rated. I use an external AC/5V-USB converter, and do not pleg PTs into the computer itself.

I have noticed that USB cables can get their data lines fried with PTs, and sometimes the power line too. I've rendered many cables to PT-only, no data usage. This has even been the case with 3.7V eGo PTs, since it is the charging circuitry inside them that is actually drawing the power, and if they are fast-charging, the cable can get data-fried. This is just my experience, but it has been repeated many times. I've even asked at my local computer store what USB cables of theirs are rated for higher current. Evidently such rating is not known, or not giving in the specs.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
I too have messed up my usb port on a previous computer using a standard passthrough. I know only use my passthrough with a wall wart, here is one that has an output of 2amps, has 4 usb ports and is about 20 bucks....Walmart.com: PowerLine Quartet 4-Port USB Wall Charger: iPods & MP3 Players
I am sure there are cheaper ones out there that will work but that was just a quick search.
To me its better to be safe than sorry, spend 20 bucks on a usb wall plug in or lose use of one of my usb ports. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread