Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I don't have the Penelope V3. I have the Penelope V1 and V2.

I have been using both with cotton and I don't have any problems. Occasionally, I will get the gurgling, but it is rare for me. The difference between V1/V2 and V3 are that the V1 and V2 both use NR wires. The V3 looks to be more convenient and easier to set up because it uses no NR wire.

When I build the V1 and V2 I wrap the wire around a drill bit to make the coil. I have a pretty good idea on what the ohms of my coil are going to be based on my experience and the size of wire I am using. Before I put the coil in the V1/V2 I slide the cotton through the coil.

With the V3, it looks like I could set it up a little differently. I would put the coil in first, measure the ohms to my liking and then slide the cotton through.

Here are some tips that could maybe help with issues, such as flooding.

When filling or refilling the Penelope tank, make sure that the juice control is closed...even before taking off the top cap to refill. The tank and juice flow is pressurized. If you take the top cap off without closing the juice control first, it will most likely flood down the bottom hole...every time.

If there is excess juice and gurgling, you can try two things...or both. First is to make sure the juice control is closed tight and then vape until the gurgling is gone, and then slowly open the juice control if you think you need more juice. The other option is to close the juice control tight and take the Penelope off you device. Take a napkin or paper towel under the bottom hole, and blow into the mouthpiece. The extra juice will go into the paper towel. If there is more juice coming out than expected, then the juice control may not be fully closed, and juice might be coming from the tank.

When I build my Penelope with cotton, I don't skimp on the cotton. I make sure that the coil is packed tight with cotton. I think the same could be said for Rami, or other materials that are similar to cotton. Others may have different opinions on how much cotton wick to use in the coil, but this is how I do it. The cotton helps to hold the juice, so I put as much as I can fit without messing up the structure of the coil.

Cotton burns, so make sure you put juice on the coil before testing, and even before putting the mouthpiece and tank part on...but we all probably know that. Putting juice on the wick before assembling the rest of the tank and filling it will help with the juice control flow process.

On my V1/V2 I run cotton down one chamber side (the metal side for V1/V2) the other chamber I leave empty (the ceramic side for V1/V2).

My Penelope's are set it and forget it, when it comes to juice control. I even leave my juice control open overnight and when I'm not using it, and it is still fine with no flooding problems when I use it again.

Juice can also be subjective, as far as how thick or thin it is when it comes to flooding. I use a 65% PG/35% VG Mix. Which is probably thinner than most juices. Unless you're using 100% PG.

Hope this helps.

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
I have tried very many different setups. I put the cotton in a thousand different ways but the gurgling is continuous in all setups. I do not know what else to do, I think that penelope is not for me... :(
sometimes it works fine but after a while again there gurgling. close the drip, drip blow by with a napkin and no liquid comes out, I can not do more things: (

A greetings.

If you followed the advice correctly this can only mean that there is too much liquid that gets in the housing. Make sure you have the mouthpiece closed all the way when you refill the tank first of all. Start vaping with it closed and when you feel the cotton starts drying try to turn the mouth piece half a turn. If it's still gurgling close it again, vape the excess liquid until you dry it out again and turn the mouth piece one quarter of a turn after. You can do it another way too, the same start with the MP closed and when a bit dry and no gurgle open the MP just one millimeter and if it's still dry open another fraction of a mm and see from there. If you can understand this way gurgle is impossible because very little liquid is going in the housing but you risk getting burned hits if you don't find the right setting for you before the cotton runs dry. You can alternate with these two methods and eventually you will get how it works. Just curious, what is your pg/vg ratio, and what mod do you use it with?

j3suss

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
N/A
First, thank you very much everyone for your help.
Now I commented several things:

I use Mini-ProVari, 50% 50% liquid.
-The ProVari sometimes has liquid, but many times gurgling and has no liquid in the 510 thread.
I close the drip.
-I full of liquid but not completely, leave 0.2 cm.
. Next, I open half back. Is insufficient because it does not taste good. I open slowly to find more flavor.
i vaping puffs very good, but after 15-20 puffs, bubbling begins. I close the drip and bubble disappears if vaping with closed drip.
If at this step, the drip tip on a napkin and no liquid in it.
This is my setup. I think it's okay, I've disarmed all penelope and I have not seen anything unusual.

Foto 29-07-14 19 22 27.jpg Foto 29-07-14 19 16 54.jpg Foto 29-07-14 19 22 32.jpg Good friends,

If I think of something I can fix I'm willing to do what you tell me.
I will answer any questions.

Thank you very much mates.

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Hello AalWani! =)

mmm 3,8/3,9 Vol
Resistence 1,5 Ohms.

The strange thing is that is bubbling, and the thread has not ProVari 510 liquid, when vaping right position vertically. Horizontally no bubbling ...

It's quite strange because you imagine you have no bubbles when you vaping vertical ...

Thanks

Bubbling = gurgling ?

Just guessing and thinking...

Maybe the gurgling is coming from the mouthpiece?

There could be some liquid trapped in the mouthpiece, and when you vape the liquid tends to go up, producing that gurgling.

Could the inner diameter of the mouthpiece be smaller than others? or what could cause the liquid is going into the mouthpiece?

j3suss

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
N/A
Bubbling = gurgling ?

Just guessing and thinking...

Maybe the gurgling is coming from the mouthpiece?

There could be some liquid trapped in the mouthpiece, and when you vape the liquid tends to go up, producing that gurgling.

Could the inner diameter of the mouthpiece be smaller than others? or what could cause the liquid is going into the mouthpiece?
Hello friend,

I think you are correct! As it started to gurgle, penelope unturned I unscrewed the top, and have unscrewed the tank and the drip, drip I have taken and the inside was liquid with smaller diameter. As in these pictures that I have taken:
Foto 31-07-14 00 15 08.jpg Foto 31-07-14 00 15 03.jpg

and these pictures are the mouthpiece once I've blown inside(without eliquid).

Foto 31-07-14 00 15 25.jpg Foto 31-07-14 00 15 27.jpg

The question is ... why the liquid goes there?

THANKS FRIEND!

Try to make a setup with less cotton, half of what I see and don't open your moythpiece more than 1-2 turns.
Tell us what happened

Soon as I can I try to run a setup with less cotton. Thanks for the advice!

Also try increasing your volts and tell us what happens

Hi mate,

even more steam as compared to what the friend Ariel_MX now I understand why if I raise the voltage, I have drops of hot liquid in my mouth, because drip-bounces mouthpiece.

Do any advice?

Thank you!

:)

j3suss

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
N/A
I can confirm that the fault is that. The bug is that in driptip is filled with e-liquid.
For example, I'm vaping and it starts bubbling, then without removing anything from penelope, I blow inside the drip and I can continue vaping without bubbling.
I have made many setup and I think that it´s good, and I know the problem is that. What can I do??

Thanks to everyone and especially to Ariel_MX :)

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
I can confirm that the fault is that. The bug is that in driptip is filled with e-liquid.
For example, I'm vaping and it starts bubbling, then without removing anything from penelope, I blow inside the drip and I can continue vaping without bubbling.
I have made many setup and I think that it´s good, and I know the problem is that. What can I do??

Fold the cotton inside the rebuildable part and leave less on the channels, could be that. My setup is like this and I never had this issue

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Try to make a setup with less cotton, half of what I see and don't open your moythpiece more than 1-2 turns.
Tell us what happened

I think what steliosss has suggested will help: a setup with less cotton and maybe an smaller diameter coil, as AalWani shown in his post:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/gg/519428-penelope-v3-8.html#post12445381

And as proteckt3d wrote, open the mouthpiece little by little.

This what I think is happening (crazy theory explained in my poor english):

If you compare the setup on your pictures and the setup posted by AalWani, on AalWani's setup you can see there is more space left between the terminal posts and the coil / wick, air has to have a space to flow up after it hits the coil / wick and comes up with vapor.

On your setup there is not much space left to the air to flow up after hitting the coil, so maybe it comes up with vapor and some liquid, lique a siphon effect, liquid accumulates on the moutpiece and the gurgling starts.

Or on other words, the wick is blocking the airflow.

Or maybe there is too much wick, that is feeding the coil and the mouthpiece at the same time :)

20140306_200659_zpsfb1oampi.jpg

360657d1406735311-penelope-v3-foto-29-07-14-19-16-54.jpg

MaligknoGDL

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2012
Guadalajara, Mexico
hey need some help folks, i just got a peny v3 and the ithaka upgrade and im having the same issue whit both, the draw its way too airy, like something i havent experienced before, whit the ithaka its easy to correct since it has air control, but on the penelope v3 its not posible and its not very enjoyable, it hits like a truck, both using the whit mechanical mods at 1 ohm.

j3suss

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
N/A
Fold the cotton inside the rebuildable part and leave less on the channels, could be that. My setup is like this and I never had this issue

I think what steliosss has suggested will help: a setup with less cotton and maybe an smaller diameter coil, as AalWani shown in his post:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/gg/519428-penelope-v3-8.html#post12445381

And as proteckt3d wrote, open the mouthpiece little by little.

This what I think is happening (crazy theory explained in my poor english):

If you compare the setup on your pictures and the setup posted by AalWani, on AalWani's setup you can see there is more space left between the terminal posts and the coil / wick, air has to have a space to flow up after it hits the coil / wick and comes up with vapor.

On your setup there is not much space left to the air to flow up after hitting the coil, so maybe it comes up with vapor and some liquid, lique a siphon effect, liquid accumulates on the moutpiece and the gurgling starts.

Or on other words, the wick is blocking the airflow.

Or maybe there is too much wick, that is feeding the coil and the mouthpiece at the same time :)

20140306_200659_zpsfb1oampi.jpg

360657d1406735311-penelope-v3-foto-29-07-14-19-16-54.jpg

Hello friends!

first, thank you very much again.
After I mean I've tried to make a new microcoil 9 laps in screwdriver kayfun 1.5 ohms, less cotton in the channels and I still have bubbles in the drip ...

I can only try fiber like this:
gg-penelope-v3_44.jpg

If you can think of another idea you can tell me, I'm grateful for your help.

Attachments

• Foto 31-07-14 10 59 42.jpg
    Foto 31-07-14 10 59 42.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Foto 31-07-14 10 58 25.jpg
    Foto 31-07-14 10 58 25.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 27
  • Foto 31-07-14 10 59 52.jpg
    Foto 31-07-14 10 59 52.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Foto 31-07-14 11 05 24.jpg
    Foto 31-07-14 11 05 24.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Foto 31-07-14 11 05 31.jpg
    Foto 31-07-14 11 05 31.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 26

Dontknow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Devon
Hello friends!

first, thank you very much again.
After I mean I've tried to make a new microcoil 9 laps in screwdriver kayfun 1.5 ohms, less cotton in the channels and I still have bubbles in the drip ...

If you can think of another idea you can tell me, I'm grateful for your help.

Where you say "less" cotton in the channels, I'd suggest you go with "no" cotton in the channels. Just by pushing back the excess cotton slightly to the inside of the cup - so it "reaches" the channels, but doesn't run into or down the channels.
Then I'd suggest you have your coil above the legs instead of below them. Having the coil underneath would allow excess juice to drip straight onto the air-hole. With the coil above the legs - excess juice will instead either run along the wire legs and down the post, or stay on the wick and run down the inside of the cup. Either of which will feed this juice back to the wick as kit is manipulated in use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
I configured for the first time my Penelope V3, normal micro coil with CelluCotton 100% cotton, resistance is 1.3Ohms with 28AWG Kanthal wire. The amount of cotton I used as wick is minimum, I cutted it almos flush with the channels, this how the setup looks like:

2ntxowl.jpg

2mw7zaa.jpg

So far no gurgling, just a nice cracking sound of the liquid (mouthpiece / juice flow control is opened 1 full turn).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread