Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Do I need to get a multimeter?
No, your regulated mod will have a voltage meter or battery level display to measure battery voltage and an ohm meter (OHMS) to read coil resistance. Your charger will measure your battery voltage on its display, too (second pic).

The volt and amps display shown below are pretty worthless and should be ignored. The "N" displayed below shows the type of wire (nickle) being used for the coils; not all mods will show this.

SMOK-AL85-display.jpg

Since mechanical mods have no built in meters or a display, a separate multimeter, ohm reader, or voltage meter is a requirement to measure coil resistance and battery voltage.

VP4_11__29839.1410827667.jpg

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Skwij

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I'm a sixty-one-year-old woman with a long, fraught relationship with cigarettes.

I'm assuming your buying your vape gear and juice at a B&M store from using a pen style vape. If your thinking bout upgrading to something better don't let the employees let you think they know what they are talking about. Lots in here willing to help steer you in the right way.
Those internal battery mods have a lifespan so inside of a year they will die and need replacement....bucks$$$. You have a working mod with dead unreplacable batterys(I have 4 IStick50 mods that work fine but...bats finished). Spend the extra bucks and get a charger with external batteries for the mod....2 battery mod is best to get.
Still going assuming a upgrade in both atty and hitter is what your going for then good start is 12 nic juice then see how it goes, then try 9 is its a bit strong...some of the newer attys can hit very well, they have more than 1 coil, some 4+ coils in them and very easy to over-nic if your inhaling 18+ juice with a subohm setup.
When buying a atty research youtube reviews of the atty to find its quirks or if its crap. How much the replacement heads are and availability of them.
Just a few things to consider.....;)

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    @Zazie , let us know when you get your gear and try it out.

Make sure you prime your coils before you install them, and also when you first start vaping make sure your wattage is turned way down..... All new coil heads need to be broken in as they are composed of cotton that will burn if too high of a setting is used..... You will experience a funky cotton flavor for awhile until the cotton in the coil heads starts to break in. It may take a quarter of a tank of juice before the heads break in and the flavor improves. The worst thing you can do with a new coil head is to start vaping at a medium or high wattage setting as you will burn the cotton in the coil head. Once that happens then you might as well throw your coil head away because you won't be able to get rid of the horrid burnt taste. Don't be dismayed by the weird taste from a new coil.... All new coil heads in a tank will act that way until they get broken in.

• Agree

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    @Zazie , let us know when you get your gear and try it out.

Make sure you prime your coils before you install them, and also when you first start vaping make sure your wattage is turned way down..... All new coil heads need to be broken in as they are composed of cotton that will burn if too high of a setting is used..... You will experience a funky cotton flavor for awhile until the cotton in the coil heads starts to break in. It may take a quarter of a tank of juice before the heads break in and the flavor improves. The worst thing you can do with a new coil head is to start vaping at a medium or high wattage setting as you will burn the cotton in the coil head. Once that happens then you might as well throw your coil head away because you won't be able to get rid of the horrid burnt taste. Don't be dismayed by the weird taste from a new coil.... All new coil heads in a tank will act that way until they get broken in.

Hey, I read all forty-two pages of the Zenith thread and watched that great video Baditude posted in another thread. I'm fully prepared to be very patient. One good thing is that I'm getting such awful flavor from the G6 that the unpleasantness of the breaking-in vape will probably seem like an improvement to me.

@Alter, I'm an online shopper all the way. No pressurizing from salespeople for me.

Last edited:

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    @Zazie .... Please keep in mind that because you ordered the Zenith tank, that it is a lower wattage tank that is not capable of keeping up with your high powered mod should you decide to crank the wattage up.... I can't remember the exact specs of your coils but I believe one of them will handle about 18 watts or thereabouts.... But your mod is capable of delivering much more (75 Watts) which of course would severely mess with those coils if you crank it up past what the maximum rating of what the coil is rated for....

As I am sure you are aware, that the kit comes in two flavors. You could have ordered the kit with the powerful sub-ohm tank.... The coils in that other tank would have been capable of taking the full 75 Watts of power from your mod (or most of it) should you ever decide to crank it up that high.... But because you ordered the lower wattage tank (MTL) then you can't attempt to do that without causing coil problems.... Obviously, you are desiring a mouth to lung type of vape.... I watched a couple of videos of people using the Zenith tank with that specific mod and they were getting LARGE amounts of vapor production even though their wattage was only set to about 14 or 15 watts...... For the price, that is one good little system..... It will take you awhile of playing around with it b4 you get it set exactly how it pleases you.... Also, please keep in mind that the mod and tank are only HALF of the equation.... In order to get a satisfactory vape, you also need a juice that suits you....

Too much PG in a juice will cause a couple of things.... First off, the more PG that a juice is composed of then the thinner and less visible the exhaled vapor will be (some folks like this). If you want to easily see your vapor, then higher VG juices will provide a thicker/denser vapor (other folks like it this way)..... Also, more PG will tend to dry out the mouth, nose and throat more than a higher VG juice.... On the other hand, PG can provide a good throat hit and an exact sensation of smoking provided that the amount of it inside the juice is to your liking.... But, PG isn't the only thing responsible for a good throat hit and sensation of actually smoking..... I mixed my own juices for quite awhile and did lots of experiments..... I discovered (along with loads of other people here) that the higher the nicotine level of the juice then the stronger the throat hit is..... In other words, Nicotine acts like PG when it comes to the feeling in the throat and lungs while you vape..... The trick to the vaping subject, especially for beginners, is to experiment lots with various juices of varying PG/VG levels as well as Nicotine levels.....

There are some general thoughts to keep in mind with these larger vape units like what you are getting.... If you like lots of Nicotine in your juice then you may want to back off of the PG levels inside the juice other wise you will get too strong of a throat hit... The reason is because BOTH nicotine and PG provide burning throat sensations..... On the other hand if you have more VG than anything else, then your vapor will be very thick/dense and will not provide much of a burning throat hit (if any) ..... So, between the two extremes you will find what suits you best....... Most long time smokers, when they start vaping, they desire to get a vape that feels just like it did when they smoked... Believe me, this is easily possible via vaping..... It's a simple balance between PG, VG, and nicotine levels as far as the juice is concerned..... The power setting of your device also effects this but you should not worry about this stuff until later after you get to know your mod/tank and get to learn more about vaping....

You mentioned earlier that the PG was too strong for you..... So, I suggest that you select a juice with a bit higher VG. The throat burn will not be as strong plus the vapor will be denser.... The important thing to realize is that if you start vaping on that device and everything seems to taste horrible or seems to suck, please do not give up. The reason is because there are lots of variables to vaping and one little thing that is not adjusted properly can cause you to be dissatisfied.... The usual culprit is the juice for beginners .... They either have to much nicotine in their juices or too much PG..... So, once you get a juice to your liking then adjusting the mod settings and selecting the coil resistance becomes much easier.

Also, keep in mind that if your burning throat hit is too strong and you are not using very much PG then chances are that your Nicotine level in the juice is way too high.... Remember, BOTH Nicotine and PG can produce harsh, strong throat hits. So, even if you lower the PG you may still get harsh burning throat hits if the nicotine level is too high. Keep all this in mind while selecting juices.

Last edited:
    • Useful

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    I know I'll be vaping at low wattages, but at what wattage should I start when I'm breaking in a new coil? I figure I likely won't be going higher than 13 or so when I'm fully up and running. If I begin at 5W, will that be a gentle enough starting point?

I learned very quickly that PG and I don't mix well and got some 70VG/30PG juice (Halo only offers that and the reverse, and that's the only place where I've bought juice so far). That, in turn, clogged up the minitanks I was using with the G6, so I diluted it to 50-50 by mixing together half 70/30 and half 30/70, which worked okay. I'm looking forward to transitioning entirely to the more VG liquid. Pretty sure I'll be a bit more phlegmy but my throat will feel less scratchy, an acceptable tradeoff.

As for nicotine, I chose 12mg when I got started, and it's been good with the G6, but I know I may need to dip lower with the new rigs. I've bought some clearance juices from Halo (they were really cheap because they were hitting their "best buy" date) and some of the flavors I wanted to try were only available at higher nicotine levels. I checked 'em out as they were, confirming quickly that, yup, they were too strong for me, and got some 0mg 70VG/30PG unflavored juice to dilute them down to vapable levels. I'm prepared to do the same again.

I have a feeling I will eventually start dabbling with DIY juice. I like mixing my own spice blends and making liqueurs and amari, so I'm used to fiddling with flavors. I've already started looking here for Tribeca-esque recipes. And, hmm, I wonder if some of the many ingredients I bought for my alcoholic concoctions could be used in juice?

So much to learn . . .

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I know I'll be vaping at low wattages, but at what wattage should I start when I'm breaking in a new coil? I figure I likely won't be going higher than 13 or so when I'm fully up and running. If I begin at 5W, will that be a gentle enough starting point?
    The recommended wattage range will be engraved on the coil head in tiny letters. When breaking in a new primed coil head, always start at the lower end of the recommended wattage range. You can gradually increase the wattage in small increments over the course of your first tank full of e-liquid. Once you detect a burnt taste or too warm of a vape, turn it down a few watts.

This video is for a different tank, but the principles for priming and breaking in the coil is relevant for all tanks.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Yeah, I love that video and plan on watching it again. Knowing that the lowest wattage at which I should begin is the one specified on the coil--so 10 for the 1.6 and 15 for the .8--is useful. Thanks yet again!
    And to possibly complicate things further :lol:, you don't HAVE to vape within those recommended wattage ranges. You can vape lower wattage as long as the vapor and taste is satisfactory to you. I'd be a little reluctant to vape higher than the recommended range myself, as that might lower the life expectancy of the coil. But you do no harm vaping at a lower wattage setting.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    yeah @Baditude is exactly correct and that video is very good as well... Never seen it b4 but it is good advice..... Also, keep in mind that you only have to do that procedure when the coil is brand new.... Once the coil head is broken in you can vape at any power level you desire just so long as it's within the rating of the coil head. Those coil heads for the Zenith will easily handle 70VG juices and probably even 80VG juices.... I would start out with 70VG though as some MTL don't do real well with extremely high VG juices due to the fact that the coil heads are small and the juice flow holes are also small..... I believe I watched a video where a person was using 80VG in that tank and it performed very well....

I would start out at the lowest rating of the coil..... As @Baditude said, it will probably be engraved on the case of the coil head ..... Then, I would increase it in increments of one Watt at a time.... Take quick short puffs for a few minutes and then increase it by another watt, possibly two watts at a time... But do this procedure slowly as you want that wick to get good and saturated with juice.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread