Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Sam, your assumption that people will overwhelmingly get upset and not understand the difference between a cigarette and a PV is misled and a myth we are trying to dispel to vapers. Numerous members have already testified that people AREN'T getting upset when they see us using PVs in public - the overwhelming reaction is one of curiosity, pleasant surprise and acceptance. One or two people may have a knee-jerk reaction, but once it's explained, they are usually fine with it.

I never said I tell people that it's "perfectly safe." I explain to them what is in it and let them make their own conclusions. I have yet to have a non-smoker hear what is in these, smell the vapor and watch it dissipate and still object.

Tell people, "These contain the same stuff in theater fog, food flavoring and nicotine" and they are usually FINE with it. I also ALWAYS explain the FDA's misleading statements about carcinogens and anti-freeze, which a LOT of people have heard and take as gospel. They are shocked to hear the truth and I wouldn't have had that opportunity if I had never opened the dialog.

If they have a problem still, I would be considerate and wait to use it until they or I leave. If the manager or owner still has a problem with it, I would honor their establishment's policy - since I think private business should have had that choice with allowing smoking, as well, but that right was taken away from them.

But if we never even TRY to use these in front of non-smokers and in establishments, we never get the opportunity to enlighten people and let them make an INFORMED opinion, because all they hear is what is on the news and from public health groups - that they are "just as bad as cigarettes" or "contain anti-freeze and cause cancer." Is it fair to them that they only get to hear THAT side of the story and not what is REALLY in them?

midsmalls

Oct 16, 2010
minnesota
Totally agree with the initial post, I mean anything that is done in the closet is sure to be swept under the rug by the people (or industry) that has more $$$.....yes that means that if people dont vape in public that the lobbyists (tobacco industry that is) can say...well if its only a select few hundreds that do (vape) then who are we really hurting....damn them in washington

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I think boldness can get us all screwed. I want vaping to be accepted and gradually work its way in. I don't think vaping in and around a bunch of non smokers is going to solve the problem...as a matter of fact, until it becomes more acceptable in small doses, I think it creates more of an issue.

If you keep hiding in dark corners, hanging only with smokers, not taking the time to intelligently educate non-smokers about the positive aspects of PV's, then HOW will it become more accepted??? Perception is reality. If those who vape act like they are doing something wrong, then they are sending the message that what they are doing is harmful and should be banned. This position makes little sense, IMO.

Last edited:

Zeroi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2010
Singapore
Correct, i believe Vaping among the smokers are ok, but in an Enclose Area is definetly not what i like. And Vaping to let others Smoker to Envy u is going to let them feel that u are actually having the Same nicotine effect rather than using Tobacco.
If you keep hiding in dark corners, hanging only with smokers, not taking the time to intelligently educate non-smokers about the positive aspects of PV's, then HOW will it become more accepted??? Perception is reality. If those who vape act like they are doing something wrong, then they are sending the message that what they are doing is harmful and should be banned. This position makes little sense, IMO.

RedneckHippy

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2010
Dallas
I would say that every single one of us is an evangelist for vaping while it's in its infancy. First impressions are hard to overcome. Don't you think it's extremely important how we tread until the mainstream understands what vaping is? Good manners are the glue that holds society together. No sense alienating people. If you want to fight, fight anti-vaping legislation. Fighting the mainstream is just shooting yourself in the foot.

Was just going to read the thread, but had to chime in on this one...

Evangelist? This is not some Holy Crusade. As far as fighting the mainstream goes.....YES we should!

At one point in History the "Mainstream" said the world was flat, Dragons ate thier children, Black people should sit at the back of the bus, women shouldn't vote, and lets not forget Germanys "Mainstream" that decided Jews should be cooked in Ovens.

If you wanna keep to the shadows, and follow the rules to a game where Big Money dictates those rules then have at it. Personally I refuse to become Sheepeole!!!

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Had to report that, once again, during lunch yesterday while vaping in a PUBLIC restaurant, the person next to me asked "what's that thing you've got there"....

When I explained that it was a personal vaporizer, and that it allowed you to ingest nicotine without the harm you get from burning tobacco, he asked for more info.

He pulled up his hand, holding his pack of Parliments, and said that he had to quit, and this sounded amazing!

I suggested he check out the eGo, but that before ordering it, he should go to this site, and read the newbie forums, and read up on all of the different types of devices and websites which sell juice.

While we were talking, he's on his cell phone, pulling up sites which sell the eGo device!

I can NOT tell you in words how excited he was, how he had to go on his cell phone NOW and find out where to purchase an electric cig... once he heard about 'em!

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
Your recent experience is consistent with and completely supports the position I've held throughout this thread: that we can "advance the movement" far more effectively by educating smokers than by educating non-smokers.

I'm curious though, did you ask the server/manager if they objected to vaping in their establishment or just whip it out and go to town?

Did the staff confront you and ask you to stop "smoking"?

What sort of reactions/looks/comment did you get from nearby non-smokers?

I now agree that we shouldn't hide in the dark corners of the world but perhaps I'm a little more concerned with the potential for negative fallout and the interruption in my usually tight schedule than my own nicotine fix.

LordDavon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Florida
www.discountvapers.com
Just remember that as defined by Merriam Webster, smoke is: "fume or vapor often resulting from the action of heat on moisture" and "a suspension of particles in a gas". From: Smoke - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

I am not sure if the laws against smoking in public places are defined with "burning of tobacco" in them. If not, vaping in public could be "illegal" by interpretation of laws or rules-and-regulations.

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
Unfortunately, accusations of "criminal" activity are usually based on on-the-spot uninformed interpretation of the law while the actual definition and clarification of said laws are relegated to court proceedings after the fact. Many are intentionally vague to allow wiggle-room for the accusing zealots.

LordDavon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Florida
www.discountvapers.com
Unfortunately, accusations of "criminal" activity are usually based on on-the-spot uninformed interpretation of the law while the actual definition and clarification of said laws are relegated to court proceedings after the fact. Many are intentionally vague to allow wiggle-room for the accusing zealots.

Exactly. The issue is that it will probably take court precedence in order for vaping to fully be separated from smoking. Until then, be aware that interpretation is usually in the hands of the ignorant.

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Your recent experience is consistent with and completely supports the position I've held throughout this thread: that we can "advance the movement" far more effectively by educating smokers than by educating non-smokers.

I'm curious though, did you ask the server/manager if they objected to vaping in their establishment or just whip it out and go to town?

Did the staff confront you and ask you to stop "smoking"?

I didn't ask anyone... In my opinion, asking a manager implies that there's something "wrong" or "illegal" about vaping. I don't ask them if I can wear aftershave, why would I ask 'em if I can vap? Seems THAT would be looking for attention, which I've been accused of on this thread, and which certainly is not my intent. In fact, my primary intent is simply to vap! My secondary, indirect intent is to let smokers and non-smokers know about vaping! I think it's a wonderful thing... (I'm NOT meaning to imply that you suggested I should have asked, so I hope my answer doesn't come across that way... sometimes, on the web, with the lack of intonation in our voices, things can be misinterpreted...)

What sort of reactions/looks/comment did you get from nearby non-smokers?

None. Nobody cared... nobody cared today, when I vaped at Islands in Murietta, nobody cared yesterday, when I vaped in P.F. Changs at the Beverly Center, and nobody has EVER cared! And yeah, I've vaped as the waiter or waitress has approached the table, and they've seen plumes of vap... and haven't batted an eye!

Oh, wait. The waitress at P.F. Changs DID mention that one of the waiters at the restaurant vaps, and loves it! She said he loves that he doesn't have to go outside to vap. Honest!

I now agree that we shouldn't hide in the dark corners of the world but perhaps I'm a little more concerned with the potential for negative fallout and the interruption in my usually tight schedule than my own nicotine fix.

People on these boards seem to make too big of an issue of it, OR.. perhaps in other areas of the country/world, people are more hung up.

In So. California... NOBODY CARES!!!!! Nobody gives a flying bleep in you vap.... that's been MY experience, other then people who are interested, and want to learn more about it!

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles

WarsawNan

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2010
Indiana-USA
www.maggiemadeit.com
Correct me if I am wrong, but by this definition.... I could get arrested for farting....
......:blush:

Uh.... YEAH!!

Reading through this thread, a post I read a couple months ago on another forum keeps coming to mind:

Arguing online is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still ......ed.
:?:

Thought we gave up on this thread last week. :confused:

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Just remember that as defined by Merriam Webster, smoke is: "fume or vapor often resulting from the action of heat on moisture" and "a suspension of particles in a gas". From: Smoke - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

I am not sure if the laws against smoking in public places are defined with "burning of tobacco" in them. If not, vaping in public could be "illegal" by interpretation of laws or rules-and-regulations.

that's the same argument that the virginia dept of health guy tried using to say that PVs were included... the VA AG shot him down too

ChristopherCoy

Verified Member
PLEASE... vap in public! Vap often, and vap proudly!

This is absolutely the most ludacris thing I have ever heard. Educating others is one thing, but shoving it down their throats is another. Passing gas is healthy, but are you going to walk around WalMart farting all day just because you can?

hifistud

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2009
Sunderland, UK
Got to chime in here... If it ain't illegal, then don't act as if it is. I get a stoner skulking about in dark corners, but why use your e-cig in a stealthy manner? I run a business - I own it - and I reserve the right to impose my own prejudices on my customers at the risk of losing business, so if I get asked to stop using my kit indoors, I respect the guy who's asked and never darken his doorstep again - it's as simple as that.
For me, if I want a toke, I have a toke. No stealthing, no skulking just pull out the eGo or GGTS and give it one. If anyone asks, they ask, I answer. The rest is just window dressing.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org

According to CASAA's legal minds, the interpretation of laws is usually "common use" of a term, if it is not otherwise defined in the law. The common use of "smoke" in relation to smoking bans is the first definition in Merriam-Webster's: the gaseous products of burning materials especially of organic origin made visible by the presence of small particles of carbon

So, for the vast majority of indoor smoking ban legislation, if it's not something burning, it's not legally "smoke."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread