the-it-department-funny-work-memes.jpg

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I’m just not sure what you’re asking.

Not sure what this is referring to. This is a very vague question. Are you saying that “gravy” should or should not replace the term “sauce”?

There are lots of such words with similar meanings. Generally when a word other than sauce is used it is intended as a modifier to describe the national origin of the food. Chutney, curry, and salsa are all types of “sauces”. However they are also the word “sauce” in the language where that type of product originated. “Gravy” is often thought of as a seasoned flour and meat stock based sauce that originated in France, but moved throughout Europe. The thing is though “Curry” translates directly as “gravy”.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
They’re two very different things. (I’m Italian and have the 11 letter last name to prove it, and it starts with a Q!)

Sauce is just that. Sauce! Tomatoes garlic, Olive Oil etc. (anyone that puts sugar in it should be ashamed of themselves!)

A good Sunday Gravy is a slow cooked red sauce made with braising bone in meat and sausage to fall apart goodness in said tomato sauce and usually served with those sausages and tons of meatballs etc. and slathered on EVERYTHING!

Sent from my Sega Genesis using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread